Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Coffee.....CNN..... & ESWT

Posted by Steve P on 3/28/01 at 11:07 (042791)

Yesterday I had my first ESWT treatment. My wife & I drove up from Maryland to Dr. Z's office in Woodbury, a little over 2 hours from the Baltimore area.

The treatment was no problem (and I must say that I am generally wimpy about medical procedures!). As you all know by now, the Orbasone involves no anesthesia. Dr. Z started me at the 12 level & I could feel a little discomfort as the first shock waves went through my foot, but only for the first couple of minutes. After about 2 or 3 minutes, he began slowly increasing the level. After about 5 minutes I was at 15 & tolerating the procedure well. When he tried 16 it was too much. When I say 'too much' I mean that at 15 I had mild discomfort that I could easily tolerate, but at 16 it became mild pain. So, Dr Z backed off immediately to 15 & stayed there the rest of the time. I was comfortable.

The whole thing took 1/2 hour. Where else can you sip coffee (courtesy of Dr. Z's staff) & watch CNN TV (no sound, of course!) during a medical procedure? Two thumbs up!

We were home by late afternoon & I went to the pool for my daily swim.
Let me say thanks again, Dr. Z & staff. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Best wishes........Steve

Re: Coffee.....CNN..... & ESWT

Julie on 3/28/01 at 11:38 (042799)

Well done, Uncle Steve. I'm glad you've had it done and hope it really helps you!

JudyS on 3/28/01 at 11:40 (042800)

Way to go, Uncle Steve, Aunt Judy and Dr. Z! I personally am very happy that more and more of 'us' on this site are going to ESWT. We need thises experiences to prove that the procedure is a very viable one.

Barbara TX on 3/29/01 at 13:17 (042935)

Welcome to club ESWT! I was wondering, is your osteoporosis not much of a problem anymore, or is it no longer a contraindication for ESWT? Is it not as bad as you thought it was at first? I really hope you start feeling better ASAP. That would be wonderful. All my best to you today. B.

Kay S on 3/29/01 at 15:07 (042948)

Uncle Steve
I was wondering the same thing about the osteoporosis. What med are you on for that? And please-please-please keep us posted on your ESWT progress as it happens.
I'm really glad that you were able to have the procedure done and hope you are helped tremendously by it. This family NEEDS you.
Kay

Re: Osteoporosis

Steve P on 3/29/01 at 18:12 (042976)

Barb & Kay----

Thanks for your good words. As I understand it, Dr. Z determined that he could give me ESWT with osteoporosis. This was based on a recent study involving dogs. (I'll bet they were growling at the Orbasone as it popped along!) Anyway, I was very pleased to qualify.

I am taking Actonel & calcium supplements to improve bone density.

Good to hear from you both!

Steve

Julie on 3/30/01 at 01:32 (043008)

Uncle, it WOULD be dogs, wouldn't it? Seriously, I'm very glad you were able to have ESWT after all - you must have been disappointed on your first visit.

All the best, your niece, Julie

Re: That blasted light!

Steve P on 3/30/01 at 09:28 (043042)

Yes, Julie, my ESWT visit was great.........all except for that flashing Blue Light, really distracting.

:>)

Cynthia D on 3/31/01 at 14:23 (043160)

Hi Steve, I was wondering about your bone density issue, as well. Is that why Dr. Z. kept the level so low for your treatment? And it wasn't tested on Labradors, was it? Keep us posted.

Julie on 3/28/01 at 11:38 (042799)

Well done, Uncle Steve. I'm glad you've had it done and hope it really helps you!

JudyS on 3/28/01 at 11:40 (042800)

Way to go, Uncle Steve, Aunt Judy and Dr. Z! I personally am very happy that more and more of 'us' on this site are going to ESWT. We need thises experiences to prove that the procedure is a very viable one.

Barbara TX on 3/29/01 at 13:17 (042935)

Welcome to club ESWT! I was wondering, is your osteoporosis not much of a problem anymore, or is it no longer a contraindication for ESWT? Is it not as bad as you thought it was at first? I really hope you start feeling better ASAP. That would be wonderful. All my best to you today. B.

Kay S on 3/29/01 at 15:07 (042948)

Uncle Steve
I was wondering the same thing about the osteoporosis. What med are you on for that? And please-please-please keep us posted on your ESWT progress as it happens.
I'm really glad that you were able to have the procedure done and hope you are helped tremendously by it. This family NEEDS you.
Kay

Steve P on 3/29/01 at 18:12 (042976)

Barb & Kay----

Thanks for your good words. As I understand it, Dr. Z determined that he could give me ESWT with osteoporosis. This was based on a recent study involving dogs. (I'll bet they were growling at the Orbasone as it popped along!) Anyway, I was very pleased to qualify.

I am taking Actonel & calcium supplements to improve bone density.

Good to hear from you both!

Steve

Julie on 3/30/01 at 01:32 (043008)

Uncle, it WOULD be dogs, wouldn't it? Seriously, I'm very glad you were able to have ESWT after all - you must have been disappointed on your first visit.

All the best, your niece, Julie

Steve P on 3/30/01 at 09:28 (043042)

Yes, Julie, my ESWT visit was great.........all except for that flashing Blue Light, really distracting.

:>)

Cynthia D on 3/31/01 at 14:23 (043160)

Hi Steve, I was wondering about your bone density issue, as well. Is that why Dr. Z. kept the level so low for your treatment? And it wasn't tested on Labradors, was it? Keep us posted.