Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Numbness in heel 2 weeks post-op

Posted by Terry T. on 3/28/01 at hrmin (042833)

Hi everybody. I am 2 weeks post-op today from an open release and heel spur removal. I went to the dr today and got my stitches out. That felt great. My concern is, my heel is very numb. Has anyone else had this and how long does it last? I guess I really shouldn't complain because the pain is gone! All in all I am very happy with my surgery. I am partial to total weight bearing and my dr said to take it slow. Just a little concerned about the numbness. Any answers would be greatly welcomed! Thanks everybody!!

Terry

Re: Numbness in heel 2 weeks post-op

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/28/01 at 18:44 (042857)

Hi,
Glad the pain is done. The numbness feeling is due to swelling from the cutting of the plantar fascia. This is very common and will resolve with time over the next six months.

GinaC on 3/28/01 at 19:52 (042866)

Hi Terry. I don't have numbness in the heel, but I am still sore in the heel where the spur used to be. I also have some tightness along the incision line. Maybe there is always some leftover side-effect of the procedure that goes away with time. Sure hope so. My best wishes for your continued recovery. Gina

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/28/01 at 18:44 (042857)

Hi,
Glad the pain is done. The numbness feeling is due to swelling from the cutting of the plantar fascia. This is very common and will resolve with time over the next six months.

GinaC on 3/28/01 at 19:52 (042866)

Hi Terry. I don't have numbness in the heel, but I am still sore in the heel where the spur used to be. I also have some tightness along the incision line. Maybe there is always some leftover side-effect of the procedure that goes away with time. Sure hope so. My best wishes for your continued recovery. Gina