Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Richard - re orthos by "The Good Foot Store" or Aizner Orthotics

Posted by Cynthia D on 3/28/01 at 16:34 (042840)

I saw an infomercial today in Fla. regardig a store in Naples, FL that sells orthotics and shoes for people with foot problems. I was very interested to watch and to call for information. I was wondering if that was the same company that you saw at a home products show? Upon talking to the woman, it sort of makes sense to me because she said thier orthos are based on a 'Healthy Foot', and it would mold you foot into this healthy position by wearing them. It sounds painful but I will try anything to get out of pain!! They claim to support 'all four arches', all across the foot, not just the metatarsal one.

Ever since ESWT 7 weeks ago, my arches are in pretty constant pain, like a crab is pinching and not letting go, and some crampiness, too. What do you think about this? I hope you can answer soon, because we will be returning home soon.

Their number is 888/817-6808 and they said they have stores all over the U.S. Thanks a bunch.

Re: To Richard - re orthos by "The Good Foot Store" or Aizner Orthotics

bg cped on 3/28/01 at 17:28 (042847)

Richard, sorry to take cuts. This may be the device we were talking about, if it is priced over $180 it may be. The 2 things I question are 'based on healthy feet' ? yes support is good, but what is the correct amount? That is like saying you have a line of pre made eye glasses at the drug store and they are based on 'healty prescription' everybody is different, you may get relief, maybe not. My complaint is the voo doo they use to pretend to measure, cast, or whatever when they are pre made devices.

They should cost no more than $40. The other problem I have, and I would think Dr Z and Dr B would agree. Your feet dont change and mold to a device, they may get used to them, and the device itself may compress and conform to your foot, but orthotics are not like braces on your teeth. Just like the yoo hoo on Home Shopping that sell Birks, they say they mold to your foot and your foot conforms to the birks..also nonsense.

Birks are pretty hard and do not pack down very much at all, your foot is not changing shape either. What is happening is your feet are becoming tolerant and less aware of the shape and support. There are several people that buy a Birk and dont breal them in. They will wear them all day the first time, wake up next day feet are screaming. They try to return them wondering whats so great about Birks when they should have worn them 1 to 11/2 hours first day and add an hour each day. If after a week and a half they still hurt you prob are not a Birk candidate.

So I would ask if they are made to a cast of the fott and not some vague imprint or drawing method. If they are premade stay away from anything over $45 unless it is modified by a qualified practitioner. If it is made by a qualified individual and they do take some form of cast then $160 to $350 is the average range...there I thru down the gauntlet, Richard can pick it up

Cytnhia D on 3/28/01 at 18:42 (042856)

Thanks for your reply, BG, the ad said they start at $59, so I'm sure they go way up from there. I believe they get an imprint of your foot, and not a cast. They advised you to put petro. jelly on the bottom of your foot and step on a paper grocery bag!!

Then you compare your foot pattern to the one on tv, things to look for are your second toe should be in alignment with your edge of heel. They also sell footwear that is compatible with orthotics, theirs and I assume others so I was intrigued. They said something about custom orthos not being good because your feet are bad and they do a casting of your bad feet. The sales pitch was that if you wear theirs, you are wearing a mold of 'good feet'. I couldn't hear it all because the phone kept ringing.

I used to wear Birks sometimes before ESWT. I've had pf almost 5 years now! There were times I couldn't wear anything else and times that they hurt. Since ESWT, they hurt alot to try to wear them. I always wear my custom othos (my third pair!) with sneakers or lately have discovered Aerosoles I can wear with my 1/2 ortho because they have open toes.

Basically, I'm so desperate to get out of pain, I'd soak my feet in Coke like one poster said if someone said it would take away the pain. So I guess I won't be rushing out to Naples tomorrow!

Should I have my current orthos re-evaluated since I'm not responding to ESWT yet? Thanks for your advice.

bg cped on 3/28/01 at 19:37 (042864)

The comment about custom being bad because you have bad feet is one of the dumbest things I have heard. This is either the words of a charlatan or an idiot. Sorry for the strong words but some folks have no business doing this stuff. Over the counter devices can be very useful. Saying that they are made from a 'good foot' that is better than the shape of your own in a corrected position is silly. I would ask them if the impression and or cast is bad then why do they waste time by having you step on something to make an imprint? why not just ask your shoe size and say 'here you go , this is the perfect foot, wear it with comfort'

I have an idea, since they are in Florida they should open a bathing suit shop. They could say that Pamela Anderson has the perfect body so they only sell her size. If the customer is not perfect like her they should buy the suit anyway because the correct size for them is wrong. Sure they would sell tons

JudyS on 3/29/01 at 14:42 (042944)

Brian, Richard, I've been following your posts re: Alzner orthotics and I wanted to say that I couldn't agree more.
I purchased some from a chiropractor last summer for $80.00 ( he had a 'distributor' discount). They are about 3/4 length, 'molded' rubber in white. They have a ridge that runs along the ball of the foot. The Chiro did that goofy 'strength' test on me - I stood in stocking feet first and he could 'push' me back. Then I stood on the orthotics and he couldn't! What a scam - although I'd still like to know the trick to that.
I was in huge pain at that point and was willing to buy snake oil if necessary. The one thing, though, that just didn't seem right was the notion that my feet should be forced to conform to that artificial 'tool', rather than the other way around. I couldn't accept the notion that my feet had to be forced to change 'shape'. I reasoned that, by those standards, then my legs, knees, hips and back would be thrown off and I'd develop problems there. Anyway, I wore them for a couple weeks, on and off and decided that I just couldn't get behind them - and the Chiro wouldn't take them back! I stopped seeing him. I eventually gave the Alzner's to Holly on this website but I don't know if she was successful with them.

Cynthia D on 3/29/01 at 20:44 (042993)

Oh BG, funny, funny, funny! This just goes to show how desparate we are to cure our condition - again, I'd really try just about anything!! Nancy, that's exactly what they did on tv, pushing the arms of the 'patient' up and down, etc.

BTW, I'd look absolutely adorable in Pamela Anderson's bathing suit - with a tent on top!! :)

Cynthia D on 3/29/01 at 20:46 (042995)

Oops, I said Nancy, I meant Judy S.

Re: Cynthia, May I ask?

Kim B. on 3/31/01 at hrmin (043117)

I noticed you mentioning that ESWT has had a negative affect on your feet. Well, I just have to know, did you have Orbasone or Ossatron ESWT? Also, who was the doctor that did your surgery?

I hope you feel better soon. I am conserned however, because I have alway read that ESWT would not do any damage, all it could do was either help, or do nothing. I think you need to have it looked at. I don't want to alarm you, but again, I've never heard of it having a painful affect.

Regards, Kim B.

Cynthia D on 3/31/01 at 11:22 (043138)

Hi Kim, of course you can ask. I haven't wanted to make a big deal out of my misery because I really feel I will have a long-term good outcome!!!! I went to good ol' NJ to see Dr. Z! I had the Orby, of course, 17kv 2500 times on each foot. Wow, I had a lot of pain with it. I think I inherited my Mother's low pain threshold, so that probably plays into this. I never would say a bad thing about Dr. Z, because even if this doesn't work for me, I still feel he did his best as a person and as a professional.

And it's only been 6 weeks, 5 days!!! I'm in the major healing range right now which I am very excited about. I had a REAL good day last week, but, alas, I walked and walked at a hotel, to the pool, and lunch, stood in line (dummy), then I walked a little ways in a mall to one store. I had planned to put my feet up all pm and get the kids to bed early. My husband had to go back home for a meeting, and the baby got really sick. I had to carry him all over, he didn't want me to sit. He weighs 35 pounds! Then, I took him to a pm doctor, the drug store, etc. Then eneded up calling 911 at midnight because the only other option was going 'off island' and waiting for hours in the emergency room!! The paramedics here have nebulizers, etc. they brig with them and they say to call any time. I was too nervous to put him to bed because he was struggling to breathe. Turns out he was panting due to a high fever. So by 1 am, me and my very sore feet crawled into bed only to repeat this scene for 2 more days! That's when I saw the infomercial and I guess I was gullible for anything at that point!!

He is all better now, but my feet were so bad, I couldn't even walk more than 10 feet! I just have to remember that I'm in the healing phase and take it easy. I'm sending this to continue...

Cynthia D on 3/31/01 at 11:27 (043140)

Sorry, my computer here cuts you off after 20 minutes of not sending or recieving anything, so this is continued...

Anyway, you are so nice to ask - that's the scoop. I did go to a Ft. Myers podiatrist who performs ESWT yesterday for a check-up since Dr. Z is so far. They put me on oral steriods for 5 days and changed my orthos to take pressure off the worse areas. I was told to ice every 20 minutes- impossible! and to stay off my feet, period. The doc there said they do have a few patients like me who are worse before they get better. I realized I was worse when my old physical therapist asked me if I was better than before ESWT and the answer was an empatic no, I am probably 75% worse. But I will wait until the 12 week period before I even think of giving up hope.

I wish Dr. Z was closer, I'm sure he would have helped me, too. I'm going to email him today. Thanks for asking, Kim. I hope you are doing well.

Kim B. on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043201)

Hi Cynthia,

My son has asthma too and you just recited a typical asthma day in my life. His doc ordered a small nebulizer for home and travel use. He is 5 now, and we've had it about 2.5 years. It has kept us out of the ER seveal times! You might ask your childs doc about getting one. It wasn't hard to learn how to put the albuterol in. Getting my son to wear the mask was too EASY for us, we told him to pretend he is wearing the kind of gear and masks that firefighters wear. This one works especially well for little boys. Our hope is that he outgrows the asthma before he starts kindergaden or at least by 1st grade. If not, when he gets older, he'll be able to use the inhaler to get his medicine. It hard to rest easy when your child is not breathing well. I hope he gets better soon. My son is almost 50 lbs. and is really 'solid'. and I can barely pick him up at all these days. PF and childhood ahsthma are a bad combination to deal with. They're both tough on the whole family.

I'm sorry your feet aren't better yet, but you're right, you still have some time to get you final results. Hope they turn out great. In the meantime, nurse those feet as often as you can.

When you say 'off island', what do you mean? It sounds interesting.

Regard, Kim B.

Cynthlia D on 4/01/01 at 09:47 (043212)

Hi Kim, I have a nine year old with asthma, too. We have a nebulizer at home and should probably get one here, too. The good news for your son is that these kids have a good chance to outgrow asthma. My older son was put on Singulair last year, and if he takes it regularly, he never gets asthma any more!! Maybe we'll try to stop the singulair next time we see his pulmonologist, or maybe he'll stay on it another year. Your're right, the inhalers are much easier and I think they start around age six, you can use them with a 'spacer' for young kids. Good luck.

I'm on an island in Fla. sort of modeled after Martha's Vinyard, the locals say 'Up Island' for north, 'Down Island' for south, etc. Kinda cute, huh? Too bad the hospital is 'off island'!

Anyway, the steriods I have taken for two days have lessened the pain, though not the tightness and tenderness that makes me still limp! Back to Boston tonight, boo hoo.

Re: Childhoood asthma - for Cynthia and Kim

Julie on 4/01/01 at 11:17 (043223)

There has been a good deal of research, here and in India, on the efficacy of yoga for asthma, especially in children (apparently, the longer you have asthma, the less likely it is to help). Of course it helps with breathing, but also in dealing with the panic aspects of attacks. At the Yoga Therapy Centre, where I teach, there are special classes for children with asthma. As you both practise yoga, why not ask your teachers if they know where you might look for someone who could take your kids on? It would certainly be worth looking into.

wendyn on 4/01/01 at 11:45 (043225)

Julie - we were just discussing the benefits of yoga/proper breathing related to asthma in my last yoga class. I have asthma as well, although I'm fortunate that it's fairly mild and usually only a problem during illness. I have found that the breathing techniques in yoga have done wonders for my lung capacity - and I'm sure it makes a difference.

Certainly wouldn't be likely to cause any harm in investigating.

Julie on 4/01/01 at 12:22 (043232)

Hi Wendy

Yes, the improvement in use of lung capacity is an important aspect. What also helps is the calming effect the breathing exercises have on the sympathetic nervous system. This is essentially the effect not so much of the deeper inhalations, but of the full, relaxed exhalations. This can help a great deal with the asthmatics main dread: not wanting to exhale for fear of not being able to inhale again. Asthma is certainly an alarming illness - I had it badly for a brief time in my twenties due, as it turned out, to an allergy to the two cats my flatmate had recently acquired. I had great difficulty dealing with the panic when I couldn't breathe, and I wish I had known about yoga then! I'm so glad to hear it's helped you.

All the best Julie

Cynthia D on 4/02/01 at 08:59 (043305)

Hi guys, thanks your great advice. That would be great for my older son. Sometimes I have him do my breathing with me in stressful situation, or when he gets angry and it really calms him down fast. I never heard of a yoga class for kids, that'd be great for him! As for the 19 month old.... he laughs when Mommy 'breathes funny'!!

bg cped on 3/28/01 at 17:28 (042847)

Richard, sorry to take cuts. This may be the device we were talking about, if it is priced over $180 it may be. The 2 things I question are 'based on healthy feet' ? yes support is good, but what is the correct amount? That is like saying you have a line of pre made eye glasses at the drug store and they are based on 'healty prescription' everybody is different, you may get relief, maybe not. My complaint is the voo doo they use to pretend to measure, cast, or whatever when they are pre made devices.

They should cost no more than $40. The other problem I have, and I would think Dr Z and Dr B would agree. Your feet dont change and mold to a device, they may get used to them, and the device itself may compress and conform to your foot, but orthotics are not like braces on your teeth. Just like the yoo hoo on Home Shopping that sell Birks, they say they mold to your foot and your foot conforms to the birks..also nonsense.

Birks are pretty hard and do not pack down very much at all, your foot is not changing shape either. What is happening is your feet are becoming tolerant and less aware of the shape and support. There are several people that buy a Birk and dont breal them in. They will wear them all day the first time, wake up next day feet are screaming. They try to return them wondering whats so great about Birks when they should have worn them 1 to 11/2 hours first day and add an hour each day. If after a week and a half they still hurt you prob are not a Birk candidate.

So I would ask if they are made to a cast of the fott and not some vague imprint or drawing method. If they are premade stay away from anything over $45 unless it is modified by a qualified practitioner. If it is made by a qualified individual and they do take some form of cast then $160 to $350 is the average range...there I thru down the gauntlet, Richard can pick it up

Cytnhia D on 3/28/01 at 18:42 (042856)

Thanks for your reply, BG, the ad said they start at $59, so I'm sure they go way up from there. I believe they get an imprint of your foot, and not a cast. They advised you to put petro. jelly on the bottom of your foot and step on a paper grocery bag!!

Then you compare your foot pattern to the one on tv, things to look for are your second toe should be in alignment with your edge of heel. They also sell footwear that is compatible with orthotics, theirs and I assume others so I was intrigued. They said something about custom orthos not being good because your feet are bad and they do a casting of your bad feet. The sales pitch was that if you wear theirs, you are wearing a mold of 'good feet'. I couldn't hear it all because the phone kept ringing.

I used to wear Birks sometimes before ESWT. I've had pf almost 5 years now! There were times I couldn't wear anything else and times that they hurt. Since ESWT, they hurt alot to try to wear them. I always wear my custom othos (my third pair!) with sneakers or lately have discovered Aerosoles I can wear with my 1/2 ortho because they have open toes.

Basically, I'm so desperate to get out of pain, I'd soak my feet in Coke like one poster said if someone said it would take away the pain. So I guess I won't be rushing out to Naples tomorrow!

Should I have my current orthos re-evaluated since I'm not responding to ESWT yet? Thanks for your advice.

bg cped on 3/28/01 at 19:37 (042864)

The comment about custom being bad because you have bad feet is one of the dumbest things I have heard. This is either the words of a charlatan or an idiot. Sorry for the strong words but some folks have no business doing this stuff. Over the counter devices can be very useful. Saying that they are made from a 'good foot' that is better than the shape of your own in a corrected position is silly. I would ask them if the impression and or cast is bad then why do they waste time by having you step on something to make an imprint? why not just ask your shoe size and say 'here you go , this is the perfect foot, wear it with comfort'

I have an idea, since they are in Florida they should open a bathing suit shop. They could say that Pamela Anderson has the perfect body so they only sell her size. If the customer is not perfect like her they should buy the suit anyway because the correct size for them is wrong. Sure they would sell tons

JudyS on 3/29/01 at 14:42 (042944)

Brian, Richard, I've been following your posts re: Alzner orthotics and I wanted to say that I couldn't agree more.
I purchased some from a chiropractor last summer for $80.00 ( he had a 'distributor' discount). They are about 3/4 length, 'molded' rubber in white. They have a ridge that runs along the ball of the foot. The Chiro did that goofy 'strength' test on me - I stood in stocking feet first and he could 'push' me back. Then I stood on the orthotics and he couldn't! What a scam - although I'd still like to know the trick to that.
I was in huge pain at that point and was willing to buy snake oil if necessary. The one thing, though, that just didn't seem right was the notion that my feet should be forced to conform to that artificial 'tool', rather than the other way around. I couldn't accept the notion that my feet had to be forced to change 'shape'. I reasoned that, by those standards, then my legs, knees, hips and back would be thrown off and I'd develop problems there. Anyway, I wore them for a couple weeks, on and off and decided that I just couldn't get behind them - and the Chiro wouldn't take them back! I stopped seeing him. I eventually gave the Alzner's to Holly on this website but I don't know if she was successful with them.

Cynthia D on 3/29/01 at 20:44 (042993)

Oh BG, funny, funny, funny! This just goes to show how desparate we are to cure our condition - again, I'd really try just about anything!! Nancy, that's exactly what they did on tv, pushing the arms of the 'patient' up and down, etc.

BTW, I'd look absolutely adorable in Pamela Anderson's bathing suit - with a tent on top!! :)

Cynthia D on 3/29/01 at 20:46 (042995)

Oops, I said Nancy, I meant Judy S.

Kim B. on 3/31/01 at hrmin (043117)

I noticed you mentioning that ESWT has had a negative affect on your feet. Well, I just have to know, did you have Orbasone or Ossatron ESWT? Also, who was the doctor that did your surgery?

I hope you feel better soon. I am conserned however, because I have alway read that ESWT would not do any damage, all it could do was either help, or do nothing. I think you need to have it looked at. I don't want to alarm you, but again, I've never heard of it having a painful affect.

Regards, Kim B.

Cynthia D on 3/31/01 at 11:22 (043138)

Hi Kim, of course you can ask. I haven't wanted to make a big deal out of my misery because I really feel I will have a long-term good outcome!!!! I went to good ol' NJ to see Dr. Z! I had the Orby, of course, 17kv 2500 times on each foot. Wow, I had a lot of pain with it. I think I inherited my Mother's low pain threshold, so that probably plays into this. I never would say a bad thing about Dr. Z, because even if this doesn't work for me, I still feel he did his best as a person and as a professional.

And it's only been 6 weeks, 5 days!!! I'm in the major healing range right now which I am very excited about. I had a REAL good day last week, but, alas, I walked and walked at a hotel, to the pool, and lunch, stood in line (dummy), then I walked a little ways in a mall to one store. I had planned to put my feet up all pm and get the kids to bed early. My husband had to go back home for a meeting, and the baby got really sick. I had to carry him all over, he didn't want me to sit. He weighs 35 pounds! Then, I took him to a pm doctor, the drug store, etc. Then eneded up calling 911 at midnight because the only other option was going 'off island' and waiting for hours in the emergency room!! The paramedics here have nebulizers, etc. they brig with them and they say to call any time. I was too nervous to put him to bed because he was struggling to breathe. Turns out he was panting due to a high fever. So by 1 am, me and my very sore feet crawled into bed only to repeat this scene for 2 more days! That's when I saw the infomercial and I guess I was gullible for anything at that point!!

He is all better now, but my feet were so bad, I couldn't even walk more than 10 feet! I just have to remember that I'm in the healing phase and take it easy. I'm sending this to continue...

Cynthia D on 3/31/01 at 11:27 (043140)

Sorry, my computer here cuts you off after 20 minutes of not sending or recieving anything, so this is continued...

Anyway, you are so nice to ask - that's the scoop. I did go to a Ft. Myers podiatrist who performs ESWT yesterday for a check-up since Dr. Z is so far. They put me on oral steriods for 5 days and changed my orthos to take pressure off the worse areas. I was told to ice every 20 minutes- impossible! and to stay off my feet, period. The doc there said they do have a few patients like me who are worse before they get better. I realized I was worse when my old physical therapist asked me if I was better than before ESWT and the answer was an empatic no, I am probably 75% worse. But I will wait until the 12 week period before I even think of giving up hope.

I wish Dr. Z was closer, I'm sure he would have helped me, too. I'm going to email him today. Thanks for asking, Kim. I hope you are doing well.

Kim B. on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043201)

Hi Cynthia,

My son has asthma too and you just recited a typical asthma day in my life. His doc ordered a small nebulizer for home and travel use. He is 5 now, and we've had it about 2.5 years. It has kept us out of the ER seveal times! You might ask your childs doc about getting one. It wasn't hard to learn how to put the albuterol in. Getting my son to wear the mask was too EASY for us, we told him to pretend he is wearing the kind of gear and masks that firefighters wear. This one works especially well for little boys. Our hope is that he outgrows the asthma before he starts kindergaden or at least by 1st grade. If not, when he gets older, he'll be able to use the inhaler to get his medicine. It hard to rest easy when your child is not breathing well. I hope he gets better soon. My son is almost 50 lbs. and is really 'solid'. and I can barely pick him up at all these days. PF and childhood ahsthma are a bad combination to deal with. They're both tough on the whole family.

I'm sorry your feet aren't better yet, but you're right, you still have some time to get you final results. Hope they turn out great. In the meantime, nurse those feet as often as you can.

When you say 'off island', what do you mean? It sounds interesting.

Regard, Kim B.

Cynthlia D on 4/01/01 at 09:47 (043212)

Hi Kim, I have a nine year old with asthma, too. We have a nebulizer at home and should probably get one here, too. The good news for your son is that these kids have a good chance to outgrow asthma. My older son was put on Singulair last year, and if he takes it regularly, he never gets asthma any more!! Maybe we'll try to stop the singulair next time we see his pulmonologist, or maybe he'll stay on it another year. Your're right, the inhalers are much easier and I think they start around age six, you can use them with a 'spacer' for young kids. Good luck.

I'm on an island in Fla. sort of modeled after Martha's Vinyard, the locals say 'Up Island' for north, 'Down Island' for south, etc. Kinda cute, huh? Too bad the hospital is 'off island'!

Anyway, the steriods I have taken for two days have lessened the pain, though not the tightness and tenderness that makes me still limp! Back to Boston tonight, boo hoo.

Julie on 4/01/01 at 11:17 (043223)

There has been a good deal of research, here and in India, on the efficacy of yoga for asthma, especially in children (apparently, the longer you have asthma, the less likely it is to help). Of course it helps with breathing, but also in dealing with the panic aspects of attacks. At the Yoga Therapy Centre, where I teach, there are special classes for children with asthma. As you both practise yoga, why not ask your teachers if they know where you might look for someone who could take your kids on? It would certainly be worth looking into.

wendyn on 4/01/01 at 11:45 (043225)

Julie - we were just discussing the benefits of yoga/proper breathing related to asthma in my last yoga class. I have asthma as well, although I'm fortunate that it's fairly mild and usually only a problem during illness. I have found that the breathing techniques in yoga have done wonders for my lung capacity - and I'm sure it makes a difference.

Certainly wouldn't be likely to cause any harm in investigating.

Julie on 4/01/01 at 12:22 (043232)

Hi Wendy

Yes, the improvement in use of lung capacity is an important aspect. What also helps is the calming effect the breathing exercises have on the sympathetic nervous system. This is essentially the effect not so much of the deeper inhalations, but of the full, relaxed exhalations. This can help a great deal with the asthmatics main dread: not wanting to exhale for fear of not being able to inhale again. Asthma is certainly an alarming illness - I had it badly for a brief time in my twenties due, as it turned out, to an allergy to the two cats my flatmate had recently acquired. I had great difficulty dealing with the panic when I couldn't breathe, and I wish I had known about yoga then! I'm so glad to hear it's helped you.

All the best Julie

Cynthia D on 4/02/01 at 08:59 (043305)

Hi guys, thanks your great advice. That would be great for my older son. Sometimes I have him do my breathing with me in stressful situation, or when he gets angry and it really calms him down fast. I never heard of a yoga class for kids, that'd be great for him! As for the 19 month old.... he laughs when Mommy 'breathes funny'!!