Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question about casting for an orthotic

Posted by paula on 3/28/01 at 18:38 (042855)

on fri i am being casted for an orthotic. but i have a condition right now (hyperthyoidism) that makes my skin thin and easily bruised and abraded. would anyone here share with me, when they were casted or moleded or whatever it's called when they take a mold of your foot, does it abrade or affect the skin at all? because if it is even a little harsh to the average skin, it will severely harm mine and i will cancel appointment and do it when thyroid calms down

Re: question about casting for an orthotic

Donna SL on 3/28/01 at 18:54 (042861)

Paula,

When I had my cast done it actually felt quite good. They use soft sheets of plaster dipped in warm water, and it just feels like a soft warm moist cloth around your foot. Once it firms up a little the cast then slips off quite easily like a slipper. They even call it a slipper cast. I think one time I had my foot sprinkled with talc first to keep little bits from sticking, but I don't know if that's necessary.

Donna

bg cped on 3/28/01 at 19:20 (042863)

should not bother you. I assume your not hypo-allergic to anything. You can also ask them to put release agaent or casting lotion. Hand cream or vaseline works well also to keep plaster from sticking, clean up withtowlette and you will be fine. I have had pt fall asleep while getting casted.

Re: thanks and thought of one more question

paula on 3/28/01 at 19:42 (042865)

thanks so much for answer. also my foot cannot flex or move much, lack of mobility. how much flex will i need for casting and for getting it off.

Beverly on 3/28/01 at 19:53 (042867)

Paula,

I also very sensitive skin. I also bruise easily, get assorted rashes easily, ect... have been on thyroid meds for low thyroid. When I was casted, I don't remember the material bothering me at all.
I only wish the orthodics had worked.
Good luck,
Beverly

wendyn on 3/28/01 at 22:42 (042877)

I don't think that you will have any problems - usually it's cloths soaked in plaster and molded to your foot. Then again - when they pull the cast off it may tug a bit - not enought to bother most people but you should probably call the office ahead of time and see what they say.

Julie on 3/29/01 at 01:27 (042882)

Paula, I've been casted for orthotics twice, the first time in a sitting position with my feet dangling, the second lying on my front on a table. My experience is the same as that of the others who've responded - no problem. I don't think you've anything to be concerned about.

Lisa S. on 4/01/01 at 11:57 (043227)

Paula, I have PF, heel spurs and hyperthyriodism!! Just curious, what kind of treatments are you using for the hyperthyroid condition? How did your casting session go? Right now I am using Birkenstock inserts and have not been casted for orthotics.

paula gr on 4/01/01 at 18:44 (043278)

i almost died from hyperthyoid. was in hospital in late dec. now i am on tapazole, an anti thyroid drug. ( spent about half a year seeking cause of my worsening illness, from doc to doc. they all said it was all in my head, then at death's door a miracle occurred. a doctor who doctored. who tried and tried till he found and fixed problem. he called me on phone three times a week till he got me in a livable condition. if only i could find a pod like him. casting went ok, not sure pod knows what a post or wedge is and how important for pf. am going to fax him tomorrow that i want that in my orthotic but have a feeling it will take any number of pods and countless money before i actually get the right orthosis. or at least that's the the impression i get from some of the folks here. which birk inserts do you use? are they helping?

Lisa S. on 4/02/01 at 17:38 (043366)

Wow Paula, what a story about your thyroid...I'm on PTU to bring mine into a normal range. The inserts I use are the BirkoBalance Arch Supports from Birkenstock. They are really helping me.

Donna SL on 3/28/01 at 18:54 (042861)

Paula,

When I had my cast done it actually felt quite good. They use soft sheets of plaster dipped in warm water, and it just feels like a soft warm moist cloth around your foot. Once it firms up a little the cast then slips off quite easily like a slipper. They even call it a slipper cast. I think one time I had my foot sprinkled with talc first to keep little bits from sticking, but I don't know if that's necessary.

Donna

bg cped on 3/28/01 at 19:20 (042863)

should not bother you. I assume your not hypo-allergic to anything. You can also ask them to put release agaent or casting lotion. Hand cream or vaseline works well also to keep plaster from sticking, clean up withtowlette and you will be fine. I have had pt fall asleep while getting casted.

paula on 3/28/01 at 19:42 (042865)

thanks so much for answer. also my foot cannot flex or move much, lack of mobility. how much flex will i need for casting and for getting it off.

Beverly on 3/28/01 at 19:53 (042867)

Paula,

I also very sensitive skin. I also bruise easily, get assorted rashes easily, ect... have been on thyroid meds for low thyroid. When I was casted, I don't remember the material bothering me at all.
I only wish the orthodics had worked.
Good luck,
Beverly

wendyn on 3/28/01 at 22:42 (042877)

I don't think that you will have any problems - usually it's cloths soaked in plaster and molded to your foot. Then again - when they pull the cast off it may tug a bit - not enought to bother most people but you should probably call the office ahead of time and see what they say.

Julie on 3/29/01 at 01:27 (042882)

Paula, I've been casted for orthotics twice, the first time in a sitting position with my feet dangling, the second lying on my front on a table. My experience is the same as that of the others who've responded - no problem. I don't think you've anything to be concerned about.

Lisa S. on 4/01/01 at 11:57 (043227)

Paula, I have PF, heel spurs and hyperthyriodism!! Just curious, what kind of treatments are you using for the hyperthyroid condition? How did your casting session go? Right now I am using Birkenstock inserts and have not been casted for orthotics.

paula gr on 4/01/01 at 18:44 (043278)

i almost died from hyperthyoid. was in hospital in late dec. now i am on tapazole, an anti thyroid drug. ( spent about half a year seeking cause of my worsening illness, from doc to doc. they all said it was all in my head, then at death's door a miracle occurred. a doctor who doctored. who tried and tried till he found and fixed problem. he called me on phone three times a week till he got me in a livable condition. if only i could find a pod like him. casting went ok, not sure pod knows what a post or wedge is and how important for pf. am going to fax him tomorrow that i want that in my orthotic but have a feeling it will take any number of pods and countless money before i actually get the right orthosis. or at least that's the the impression i get from some of the folks here. which birk inserts do you use? are they helping?

Lisa S. on 4/02/01 at 17:38 (043366)

Wow Paula, what a story about your thyroid...I'm on PTU to bring mine into a normal range. The inserts I use are the BirkoBalance Arch Supports from Birkenstock. They are really helping me.