Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery scheduled 4-4-01

Posted by valerie s on 3/28/01 at 22:07 (042874)

Hi there everyone! I am scheduled for pf surgery on 4-4-01. I am wondering if someone could tell me how their foot was wrapped after surgery. Is it put into a cast? or just wrapped with tape and bandages? Thanks to all of you for posting your progress, its nice to hear from people who have had the surgery and not just the dr's. Thanks in advance for the reply! Have a great day!

Re: surgery scheduled 4-4-01

Crystal on 3/29/01 at 06:48 (042889)

Hi Valerie--
I had pf surgery on Feb. 21st and my pod put me into a cast. He had told me I could have a cast or not have a cast but he told me that sometimes with a cast healing is faster. You may want to make sure that your dr feels the same way about that though. Good luck and we will be thinking about you. I am feeling so much better now that I had surgery somedays I am sore still but it is not anything like the pain before the surgery. But again good luck and let us know how things go.

GinaC on 3/29/01 at 08:03 (042892)

After surgery (pf release, spur removal, tarsal tunnel release), my foot, ankle, and very lower part of leg were securely wrapped in a soft cotton pad, then covered completely with a wide ace bandage that was held in place with a strip of wide paper tape. I was told to keep this dry and and that I could leave it alone (no changing bandages or applying antibiotics) till the dr. removed the stiches 2 weeks later. I had the impression that I was not casted because of the spur removal. After stiches were removed I was told to try to wear my regular shoes.

You might try calling your doctor if you want to know what you'll be 'wearing' after surgery. I met with the nurse to go over post-op instructions before I had surgery, so your doctor probably has a good idea of what he plans to do. Pre-surgery I was told I would also have a splint, which I ended up not having. It was helpful to have some idea of what to expect post-op.

Re: Same Name, Different Sandwich...

Valerie S on 3/29/01 at 09:33 (042906)

Hi Valerie!

That's my name too. Kind of freaked me out, since I am not getting surgery. Good luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress. You will find lots of support and advice here on the heel pain board.

Maybe we can't keep our names differentiated somehow. Have a good day, and try to enjoy yourself this last week before the surgery. Buy a big crossword puzzle book.

Valerie S.

Susan U on 3/29/01 at 10:42 (042913)

Hi, Valerie. All I know is you will most likely see your dr. for a pre-op check up and at that time he/she should explain in more detail the surgery, anestesia (forgive my spelling), bandaging, etc. What I find helpful is to make a list of your questions to take with you to that visit. I am scheduled for surgery 4/11 and I have my pre-op visit on 4/3. I have been writing down my questions as they pop into my head so I'll be ready for that visit. From what I've read over the course of the past month, some people are cast and some are bandaged. Some are weight-bearing very quickly and some not for 2 weeks. It's interesting to see how different the drs. treat this condition. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Terry T. on 3/29/01 at hrmin (042940)

Valerie,

I had open pf release and heel spur removal on 3-14. After surgery I was wrapped in several layers of gauze and an ace bandage and then Coban Tape(the brown sticky tape). I just got my stitches out yesterday (2 weeks) and everything is going great. I am partial weight bearing. Have been toe touching from the beginning. Ask your Dr any and ALL questions you need to before the surgery. My dr was very informative from the beginning so I knew what to expect. Good Luck to you and keep us posted.
Terry

valerie k s on 3/29/01 at 21:53 (043001)

hi val! i added my middle initial, hope that help's with the confusion.
thanks for the encouragement and i'll keep the board posted. take care you.

Re: pain and swelling after 2 1/2 weeks

Betsy S on 4/06/01 at hrmin (043851)

I had pf release and spur removal on March 20th. I can take a step or two with pain but that is all. By the end of the day my toes are swollen. Is this normal????How long can I expect to be on crutches?

Crystal on 3/29/01 at 06:48 (042889)

Hi Valerie--
I had pf surgery on Feb. 21st and my pod put me into a cast. He had told me I could have a cast or not have a cast but he told me that sometimes with a cast healing is faster. You may want to make sure that your dr feels the same way about that though. Good luck and we will be thinking about you. I am feeling so much better now that I had surgery somedays I am sore still but it is not anything like the pain before the surgery. But again good luck and let us know how things go.

GinaC on 3/29/01 at 08:03 (042892)

After surgery (pf release, spur removal, tarsal tunnel release), my foot, ankle, and very lower part of leg were securely wrapped in a soft cotton pad, then covered completely with a wide ace bandage that was held in place with a strip of wide paper tape. I was told to keep this dry and and that I could leave it alone (no changing bandages or applying antibiotics) till the dr. removed the stiches 2 weeks later. I had the impression that I was not casted because of the spur removal. After stiches were removed I was told to try to wear my regular shoes.

You might try calling your doctor if you want to know what you'll be 'wearing' after surgery. I met with the nurse to go over post-op instructions before I had surgery, so your doctor probably has a good idea of what he plans to do. Pre-surgery I was told I would also have a splint, which I ended up not having. It was helpful to have some idea of what to expect post-op.

Valerie S on 3/29/01 at 09:33 (042906)

Hi Valerie!

That's my name too. Kind of freaked me out, since I am not getting surgery. Good luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress. You will find lots of support and advice here on the heel pain board.

Maybe we can't keep our names differentiated somehow. Have a good day, and try to enjoy yourself this last week before the surgery. Buy a big crossword puzzle book.

Valerie S.

Susan U on 3/29/01 at 10:42 (042913)

Hi, Valerie. All I know is you will most likely see your dr. for a pre-op check up and at that time he/she should explain in more detail the surgery, anestesia (forgive my spelling), bandaging, etc. What I find helpful is to make a list of your questions to take with you to that visit. I am scheduled for surgery 4/11 and I have my pre-op visit on 4/3. I have been writing down my questions as they pop into my head so I'll be ready for that visit. From what I've read over the course of the past month, some people are cast and some are bandaged. Some are weight-bearing very quickly and some not for 2 weeks. It's interesting to see how different the drs. treat this condition. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Terry T. on 3/29/01 at hrmin (042940)

Valerie,

I had open pf release and heel spur removal on 3-14. After surgery I was wrapped in several layers of gauze and an ace bandage and then Coban Tape(the brown sticky tape). I just got my stitches out yesterday (2 weeks) and everything is going great. I am partial weight bearing. Have been toe touching from the beginning. Ask your Dr any and ALL questions you need to before the surgery. My dr was very informative from the beginning so I knew what to expect. Good Luck to you and keep us posted.
Terry

valerie k s on 3/29/01 at 21:53 (043001)

hi val! i added my middle initial, hope that help's with the confusion.
thanks for the encouragement and i'll keep the board posted. take care you.

Re: pain and swelling after 2 1/2 weeks

Betsy S on 4/06/01 at hrmin (043851)

I had pf release and spur removal on March 20th. I can take a step or two with pain but that is all. By the end of the day my toes are swollen. Is this normal????How long can I expect to be on crutches?