Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

medications for nerve pain

Posted by rekha on 3/29/01 at hrmin (042881)

hello to all...I have been prescribed Neurontin for the nerve pain I am having, dont know if it is helping. Dr also recommends Elavil. I previously tried Elavil and couldnt handle the zombiesh state it left me in, but now I might try giving it another go. I am still debating

Has anyone benifitted from elavil for nerve pain out there?

Re: medications for nerve pain

P Helm on 3/29/01 at 13:04 (042934)

I also took Neurontin and Elavil. I couldn't tell if the Neurontin worked either. The ELavil was way too strong for me. I am going to the Dr. tomorrow and I am going to ask what I can take because I have the surgery a month ago and I am still in pain.
Have you ever taken Ultram? I really think it is great. It really helps with the pain.

wendyn on 3/29/01 at 13:58 (042939)

Rekha - a lot of people with neuropathy do very well with neurontin. With your doctor's okay - you may want to start with just that one, and leave the Elavil for now.

The problem is that if you start both right now, you will not know which one is helping and if you have side effects - you won't know which one is to blame.

I wouldn't take either now - I simply don't need it...but 2 years ago when my doctor prescribed Elavil - I really should have taken something. I was a mess.

Kay S on 3/29/01 at 14:35 (042943)

Hi Rehka
Have you tried taking the elavil when you go to bed? It may not bother you as much if you do.
I have seen this given many times in the pain clinic as an adjunct to other medications. It is not unusual to be one several different kinds at once, but the doc who knows the most about this would be one who specializes in pain. Also, the dosages on Neurontin are varied, and you can go pretty high so if it is working a little for you and your doc tells you to up the dose, don't be afraid to do that.
Good luck.
Kay

Pam R. on 3/29/01 at 16:16 (042955)

Neurontin didn't work for me. I'm on Klonopin for neuropathy and it works great for me. Ultram is a great pain medication. You need to take it daily and have a Chronic pain condition, I would think. As for Elavil, it's very sedative, so take it before you go to bed. If you are taking it for depression (there are other uses for it) and it doesn't agree with you, there are many others out there you can try. I've tried Zoloft and others and the one that works the best for me is Celexa--I do not have any side effects from it at all. Most of them put you in Zombie land or you're so tired , you can't function. What good is that? Hope this info helps you a little. Soft((HUGS)) Pam P.S. I know these things because I have Fibromyalgia and when you have that you'll try anything to stop the pain!

eileenc on 3/30/01 at 06:40 (043015)

I tried so many NSAID medicines that they messed up my stomach--careful. Tried low dose of elavil at night and had a bad reaction. Neurontin saved my life---400mg 5 times a day, and an Ice-cube bath of that ankle at night. Yes, the neurontin makes your brain feel fuzzy, but it is better than the pain! I am nowhere near back to normal, but at least I am able to lead a sedentary life-style with a lower pain level that allows me to sleep at night.

rekha on 3/30/01 at 20:05 (043100)

thanks everybody for ur responses.....I will look into ultram

P Helm on 3/29/01 at 13:04 (042934)

I also took Neurontin and Elavil. I couldn't tell if the Neurontin worked either. The ELavil was way too strong for me. I am going to the Dr. tomorrow and I am going to ask what I can take because I have the surgery a month ago and I am still in pain.
Have you ever taken Ultram? I really think it is great. It really helps with the pain.

wendyn on 3/29/01 at 13:58 (042939)

Rekha - a lot of people with neuropathy do very well with neurontin. With your doctor's okay - you may want to start with just that one, and leave the Elavil for now.

The problem is that if you start both right now, you will not know which one is helping and if you have side effects - you won't know which one is to blame.

I wouldn't take either now - I simply don't need it...but 2 years ago when my doctor prescribed Elavil - I really should have taken something. I was a mess.

Kay S on 3/29/01 at 14:35 (042943)

Hi Rehka
Have you tried taking the elavil when you go to bed? It may not bother you as much if you do.
I have seen this given many times in the pain clinic as an adjunct to other medications. It is not unusual to be one several different kinds at once, but the doc who knows the most about this would be one who specializes in pain. Also, the dosages on Neurontin are varied, and you can go pretty high so if it is working a little for you and your doc tells you to up the dose, don't be afraid to do that.
Good luck.
Kay

Pam R. on 3/29/01 at 16:16 (042955)

Neurontin didn't work for me. I'm on Klonopin for neuropathy and it works great for me. Ultram is a great pain medication. You need to take it daily and have a Chronic pain condition, I would think. As for Elavil, it's very sedative, so take it before you go to bed. If you are taking it for depression (there are other uses for it) and it doesn't agree with you, there are many others out there you can try. I've tried Zoloft and others and the one that works the best for me is Celexa--I do not have any side effects from it at all. Most of them put you in Zombie land or you're so tired , you can't function. What good is that? Hope this info helps you a little. Soft((HUGS)) Pam P.S. I know these things because I have Fibromyalgia and when you have that you'll try anything to stop the pain!

eileenc on 3/30/01 at 06:40 (043015)

I tried so many NSAID medicines that they messed up my stomach--careful. Tried low dose of elavil at night and had a bad reaction. Neurontin saved my life---400mg 5 times a day, and an Ice-cube bath of that ankle at night. Yes, the neurontin makes your brain feel fuzzy, but it is better than the pain! I am nowhere near back to normal, but at least I am able to lead a sedentary life-style with a lower pain level that allows me to sleep at night.

rekha on 3/30/01 at 20:05 (043100)

thanks everybody for ur responses.....I will look into ultram