Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do doctors get rewards for keeping people at work?

Posted by Valerie S on 3/29/01 at hrmin (042905)

Hi.

I am having a hard time getting my podiatrist to give me time off work. I am currently seeking a new doctor, but my physical therapist thinks that there might be some sort of consequences for doctors when they take people off work. Could this vary from state to state (I am in Michigan), or do you know a reason that a doctor would be insistent that you go back to work, even though he also recognizes that working on your feet all day is aggravated your PF?

Thanks.

Val.

Re: Or are you not allowed to comment?

Valerie S on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043051)

Hi.

I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, nor trying to find a way to manipulate the system. Just wondering why doctor would rather have patient work 40 hours a week on concrete floors, even though all conservative treatments are not even touching the pain they are suffering from PF?

Thought if I had a little insight, I wouldn't get so mad and frustrated with my doctor.

Maybe you have a secret agreement, which includes your not telling anyone what it is? ... Not accusing you of conspiring, just hoping that I might get some insight...

Thanks again.... Val

P.S. even a response of 'No comment' would be sufficient. Thanks.

Re: Do doctors get rewards for keeping people at work?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/01/01 at 13:12 (043247)

Hi,

I have no problem with giving my patients the needed time off from the hard cement floors. Most of my patients are really looking to stay at work.
The insurance disability payments aren't exactly alot of money. Some doctor probaby are afraid that he will lose referral's from the owners of the job. I was once years ago threatened by an employer that if I didn't get the pateint back to work he would force the patient to get a second oppinon. My response was I have no problem with a second or third opinion .

There are really very very few patients that are faking this painful pf and I hope that most doctor realize this.

Re: Or are you not allowed to comment?

Valerie S on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043051)

Hi.

I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, nor trying to find a way to manipulate the system. Just wondering why doctor would rather have patient work 40 hours a week on concrete floors, even though all conservative treatments are not even touching the pain they are suffering from PF?

Thought if I had a little insight, I wouldn't get so mad and frustrated with my doctor.

Maybe you have a secret agreement, which includes your not telling anyone what it is? ... Not accusing you of conspiring, just hoping that I might get some insight...

Thanks again.... Val

P.S. even a response of 'No comment' would be sufficient. Thanks.

Re: Do doctors get rewards for keeping people at work?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/01/01 at 13:12 (043247)

Hi,

I have no problem with giving my patients the needed time off from the hard cement floors. Most of my patients are really looking to stay at work.
The insurance disability payments aren't exactly alot of money. Some doctor probaby are afraid that he will lose referral's from the owners of the job. I was once years ago threatened by an employer that if I didn't get the pateint back to work he would force the patient to get a second oppinon. My response was I have no problem with a second or third opinion .

There are really very very few patients that are faking this painful pf and I hope that most doctor realize this.