Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Work is on hold, now for the doctor.

Posted by Valerie S on 3/29/01 at hrmin (042931)

Hi. I talked to my boss today. He was frustrated and peeved when I told him that I would be extending my leave of absence, told me he would rather know now that I was taking the full 12 weeks off (FMLA limitations). he has extended my leave through next week, when I go to see the doctors and I can give him another update.

When my pod filled out my Medical Certification form for my leave, he wrote '2 to 6 months' in the space provided for length needed for treatment. So, as far as my boss is concerned, I have a doctor's excuse.

Now, when I go to my current pod on Monday, he will probably tell me to go back to work. I CANNOT perform my duties at work right now, and I am hoping that he might back me up (for short-term disability reasons)... I am assuming that he will not. He might give me a week or so more, but... 'can't keep you off work forever...' If I can only get him to agree to a week, get my disability claim rolling...

2nd opinion next Friday.

Wish me luck. I have no idea how I am going to generate income, but am relieved to know that my work now realizes that I won't be back soon.

When I go to the Ortho for the 2nd opinion, I will be armed with my treatment history, my job description, and questions... Anyone have any ideas that might help me convince the doctors to help me out with this?

Thanks again for all your support and advice.

Val.

Re: Work is on hold, now for the doctor.

Nancy N on 3/29/01 at 15:58 (042953)

Val--

Good for you on extending the leave. IMHO, you shouldn't HAVE to work on the doctors to get them on your side. They should be intelligent enough to know that the job is a big part of the problem. If you do have to work on them, though, I would emphasize the type of job you have, the standing requirement and how painful it is for you to do that. I would also mention that you believe this to be a work-related injury and are investigating a WC claim. Hopefully, that will help.

Julie on 3/29/01 at 16:49 (042957)

Hi Val

It sounds as if things are moving. You really must be relieved to have talked to your boss, and I'm glad for you. I wish you the best of luck with the Ortho next week. It must be your turn for a more knowledgeable, sympathetic professional, so be optimistic.

I remember clearly from my own search for information that nearly all the websites cited standing and working on hard surfaces as a cause of PF. A great many of the afflicted visitors to these boards have been nurses, teachers, security guards, etc - people whose jobs require them to be on their feet all the time. It is obviously a cause, and I can't believe there is a single foot doctor that doesn't know this (apart from the one you've been so unlucky as to fetch up with). I think this is something you can be assertive about - I mean, sound as if you _know_ your PF is work related instead of asking what the doctor thinks.

Good luck! and all the best

Julie

ellen w on 3/29/01 at 18:40 (042984)

Val,

Do a search on this board under 'Tracey A' and go to the 'questions for new doctor' thread in mid-January. I thought there were some brilliant suggestions for how to handle the second doctor issue, and while not exactly on point, some maybe might help with some strategy on handle your current doc. Tracey had severe problems with doctors.

Nancy N on 3/29/01 at 15:58 (042953)

Val--

Good for you on extending the leave. IMHO, you shouldn't HAVE to work on the doctors to get them on your side. They should be intelligent enough to know that the job is a big part of the problem. If you do have to work on them, though, I would emphasize the type of job you have, the standing requirement and how painful it is for you to do that. I would also mention that you believe this to be a work-related injury and are investigating a WC claim. Hopefully, that will help.

Julie on 3/29/01 at 16:49 (042957)

Hi Val

It sounds as if things are moving. You really must be relieved to have talked to your boss, and I'm glad for you. I wish you the best of luck with the Ortho next week. It must be your turn for a more knowledgeable, sympathetic professional, so be optimistic.

I remember clearly from my own search for information that nearly all the websites cited standing and working on hard surfaces as a cause of PF. A great many of the afflicted visitors to these boards have been nurses, teachers, security guards, etc - people whose jobs require them to be on their feet all the time. It is obviously a cause, and I can't believe there is a single foot doctor that doesn't know this (apart from the one you've been so unlucky as to fetch up with). I think this is something you can be assertive about - I mean, sound as if you _know_ your PF is work related instead of asking what the doctor thinks.

Good luck! and all the best

Julie

ellen w on 3/29/01 at 18:40 (042984)

Val,

Do a search on this board under 'Tracey A' and go to the 'questions for new doctor' thread in mid-January. I thought there were some brilliant suggestions for how to handle the second doctor issue, and while not exactly on point, some maybe might help with some strategy on handle your current doc. Tracey had severe problems with doctors.