Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery on 4-9-01

Posted by Shannon on 3/29/01 at hrmin (042947)

Hello. I am having surgery on 4-9 for tarcel tunnel. I am a bit scared because it sounds as if I will be having a lot more pain then when I had endoscopic surgery for planter release. Any info I could get would be so helpful. Thanks.

Re: Surgery on 4-9-01

Scott2 on 3/30/01 at 11:42 (043052)

Shannon,

I do not know if I can really answer your question in a manner you are looking for because I had both done at the same time (pf release and tt release). My surgery was done about six weeks ago (02/16/01).

What I can offer is to let you know to keep a positive attitude and take it slowly. My surgery went well, but of course it will only be deemed a success if I can return to doing triathlons. I was really down the first few weeks after surgery because I seemed worse off - read on...

As for my distal tarsal tunnel release, I do not think that was that bad from a surgery standpoint. The incision has healed nicely and I do not have the tingling sensations I had before surgery. Because I also had a partial plantar fascia release done, I was off of my feet and laying done on a couch or bed for the first three days post surgery. After that I could sit, but had to keep my foot at hip level.

I was on crutches and non-weight bearing for almost two weeks. I returned to work (I sit and work on a computer) and it was tough to get around on crutches, but it was not unmanageable. The surgery was done on my left foot and since my car was an automatic, I could drive as well but not more than 30 minutes.

My first two weeks of recovery was the hardest. The incision did not heal and the stitches stayed in longer than average as compared to others. However, once the stitches came out, I rapidly improved in terms of going from crutches only, to crutches and a cam-walker, to one crutch, and then to just the cam-walker. Just this week I started wearing a shoe. I bought a pair of Oakley Flesh shoes and they are super comfortable. I wear a thin sock because they touch against the incision. A lot of others have suggested birkenstocks (sp?).

I would say now that the incision is pretty much healed. I have minimal point tenderness there. I would say the pain that remains is on my heal from the pf release. It is just going to take time.

I also will say that I was aggressive in my rehab. I am a frequent exerciser, so I knew it would take work. I started with simple movements and stretching. I did it as many times as I could each day. I also iced at night. I did not take many pain pills, but did need them at times. Once I could bear weight, I started with assisted calf raises (used my arm to support some weight and lifted up on my toes). I also started doing the wobble board for balance. I still ice each night and a two-three times a day on the weekends.

How long did it take you to get back in a shoe and bear weight after your surgery? I really do not know which one would take longer to heal or recover from if they are done separately, but I hope what I have provided here can help you. I think some of it has to do with how invasive the surgery is and the amount of tissue that is cut. I have been told it is not the severe, but then again, it is really going to depend on the person and surgeon. Some people have mentioned really long cuts - up to eight inches. Mine was about half that.

Use this site and message board for support. People here have been great and since we have all gone or are going to go through this, we all have lots of input to provide and unfortunately, first foot (hand) experience. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

chris d on 3/30/01 at 15:33 (043073)

I too had both Tarsal Tunnel and PF release at the same time (nov 8). I really didn't think the recovery pain was too bad (but then again I was walking my dog the day I came home following a C-section BIrth! I don't make for a good sick person).

I was given percocet(sp) for pain and only a limited supply. 1 week non weight bearing, then 1 week with crutches with very little weight, then just a boot cast for another week.

i have been very pleased with the results, and thankful I have not had the difficulties or pain experience it seems many others have had. I wish I had found this board prior to surgery, for the support and information

Shannon on 3/30/01 at 17:35 (043088)

Thank you for easing my 'nerves' I look foward to writing often.

Scott2 on 3/30/01 at 11:42 (043052)

Shannon,

I do not know if I can really answer your question in a manner you are looking for because I had both done at the same time (pf release and tt release). My surgery was done about six weeks ago (02/16/01).

What I can offer is to let you know to keep a positive attitude and take it slowly. My surgery went well, but of course it will only be deemed a success if I can return to doing triathlons. I was really down the first few weeks after surgery because I seemed worse off - read on...

As for my distal tarsal tunnel release, I do not think that was that bad from a surgery standpoint. The incision has healed nicely and I do not have the tingling sensations I had before surgery. Because I also had a partial plantar fascia release done, I was off of my feet and laying done on a couch or bed for the first three days post surgery. After that I could sit, but had to keep my foot at hip level.

I was on crutches and non-weight bearing for almost two weeks. I returned to work (I sit and work on a computer) and it was tough to get around on crutches, but it was not unmanageable. The surgery was done on my left foot and since my car was an automatic, I could drive as well but not more than 30 minutes.

My first two weeks of recovery was the hardest. The incision did not heal and the stitches stayed in longer than average as compared to others. However, once the stitches came out, I rapidly improved in terms of going from crutches only, to crutches and a cam-walker, to one crutch, and then to just the cam-walker. Just this week I started wearing a shoe. I bought a pair of Oakley Flesh shoes and they are super comfortable. I wear a thin sock because they touch against the incision. A lot of others have suggested birkenstocks (sp?).

I would say now that the incision is pretty much healed. I have minimal point tenderness there. I would say the pain that remains is on my heal from the pf release. It is just going to take time.

I also will say that I was aggressive in my rehab. I am a frequent exerciser, so I knew it would take work. I started with simple movements and stretching. I did it as many times as I could each day. I also iced at night. I did not take many pain pills, but did need them at times. Once I could bear weight, I started with assisted calf raises (used my arm to support some weight and lifted up on my toes). I also started doing the wobble board for balance. I still ice each night and a two-three times a day on the weekends.

How long did it take you to get back in a shoe and bear weight after your surgery? I really do not know which one would take longer to heal or recover from if they are done separately, but I hope what I have provided here can help you. I think some of it has to do with how invasive the surgery is and the amount of tissue that is cut. I have been told it is not the severe, but then again, it is really going to depend on the person and surgeon. Some people have mentioned really long cuts - up to eight inches. Mine was about half that.

Use this site and message board for support. People here have been great and since we have all gone or are going to go through this, we all have lots of input to provide and unfortunately, first foot (hand) experience. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

chris d on 3/30/01 at 15:33 (043073)

I too had both Tarsal Tunnel and PF release at the same time (nov 8). I really didn't think the recovery pain was too bad (but then again I was walking my dog the day I came home following a C-section BIrth! I don't make for a good sick person).

I was given percocet(sp) for pain and only a limited supply. 1 week non weight bearing, then 1 week with crutches with very little weight, then just a boot cast for another week.

i have been very pleased with the results, and thankful I have not had the difficulties or pain experience it seems many others have had. I wish I had found this board prior to surgery, for the support and information

Shannon on 3/30/01 at 17:35 (043088)

Thank you for easing my 'nerves' I look foward to writing often.