Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

retrocalcaneous exostosis

Posted by rosey on 3/29/01 at 19:59 (042988)

what is retrocalcaneous exotosis,& if it is removed what kind of risks is there,what exactly causes it.it is on rt inner jeel bone
& is it close to achilles tendon is it the same as a pump bump.although
rosey

Re: retrocalcaneous exostosis

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/29/01 at 20:52 (042997)

It is usually within the insertion of the achilles tendon. It isn't the same thing as a pump bump. Removal of the calcificaton of the achilles tendon can be a very involved procedure where sometime a below the knee cast is needed during the recovery period. If this is a chronic problem that hasn't responded to any treatment and surgery has been offered to you then ESWT is a very good non-surgical option to this very painful problem.
Have you read about ESWT and it use for insertional tendonitis.?

Re: retrocalcaneous bursa pain

Jimmy M. on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043383)

Dear Sir

I am an endurance athlete, competing in Ironman triathlon distances. My running workouts have led to pain in my foot that my orthopedic physician has identified as an inflamation in the retrocalcaneal bursa. He has suggested an air cast type of device that I would be able to continue to train in. And he has mentioned the possibility of a cortizone injection in the event that the more conservative treatment does not work. You advice please?

Jimmy
4-2-01

Re: retrocalcaneous exostosis

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/29/01 at 20:52 (042997)

It is usually within the insertion of the achilles tendon. It isn't the same thing as a pump bump. Removal of the calcificaton of the achilles tendon can be a very involved procedure where sometime a below the knee cast is needed during the recovery period. If this is a chronic problem that hasn't responded to any treatment and surgery has been offered to you then ESWT is a very good non-surgical option to this very painful problem.
Have you read about ESWT and it use for insertional tendonitis.?

Re: retrocalcaneous bursa pain

Jimmy M. on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043383)

Dear Sir

I am an endurance athlete, competing in Ironman triathlon distances. My running workouts have led to pain in my foot that my orthopedic physician has identified as an inflamation in the retrocalcaneal bursa. He has suggested an air cast type of device that I would be able to continue to train in. And he has mentioned the possibility of a cortizone injection in the event that the more conservative treatment does not work. You advice please?

Jimmy
4-2-01