Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS caused by L5 Si disc problems

Posted by fiona on 3/30/01 at 05:29 (043013)

Could anyone advise me on TTS caused by an old L5 S1 disc injury and any what possible treatment might involve?

Re: TTS caused by L5 Si disc problems

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 07:25 (043024)

This is very possible and very difficult to treat. The most important aspect is to have a complete evaluation of your lower back . Rule out spinal stenosis. Treatment would be directed at lower back strengthen if possible. You really need a complete history and phyical including possible EMG studies.

wendyn on 3/30/01 at 19:51 (043094)

From what I've researched - TTS can be caused by problems with L4, L5 and S1.

Jen on 4/01/01 at 09:23 (043210)

I also have a herniated disc at L5/S1 and the neurosurgeon said that they are two separate problems because there was no nerve compression on the MRI but I've wondered the same thing. I hope their not missing anything and it is my back, which needs to be treated, and not my feet!!

fiona on 4/01/01 at 12:26 (043235)

I am having a nerve conduction test tomorrow - the MRI I had last week only looked at pf and my consultant said a more reliable way of chekcing nerve damage was with the nerve conduction test - maybe you should ask to have one, although reading about them on this board, mixed feelings about their sucess at proving nerve compression - will let you know.

Jeff D on 4/05/01 at 14:42 (043724)

I have had was the doc's have suspected to be TTS for the past 3 years. I seem to have symptoms but nothing conclusive. Negative EMG's and no Tingles. Monday I went for another EMG on my leg and back, still negative, ouch, especially the ones on the outer calf and bottom of foot. The doctor is now sending me for an MRI on my Lumbar, L1 - S1 and also a circulatrion test. I have no back pain or swelling but do have tight hamstrings. Doctor says that sometimes we compensate with our legs for a problem in our back. I go 4/30/01 for both tests. My history has been posted prior.

fiona on 4/06/01 at 10:01 (043808)

That is really interesting as I had MRI of feet & pf inflamation showed up, had nerve conduction tests - negative. But I have discovered during the last couple of weeks that when I do my excercises to help by back (mostly related to pilates strengthening of the stomach and lower back and glut muscles) it makes my feet unbearably painful especially first thing in morning and also after I have rested them. My own conclusion (and I am putting this to my consultant next week) is that something I am doing there is making my feet worse rather than walking - which is what I had assumed it to be.

Somthing you might like to consider, which my pilates teacher told me was that - having thought I have always had tight hamstrings, she suggested it was actually the nerve which runs from the head to the foot which was tight and told me to do gentle stretches by sitting on the floor with straight legs and pushing my head into my chest - surprisingly this makes the feet painful.

I will update you next week post consultant / physio appointments.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 07:25 (043024)

This is very possible and very difficult to treat. The most important aspect is to have a complete evaluation of your lower back . Rule out spinal stenosis. Treatment would be directed at lower back strengthen if possible. You really need a complete history and phyical including possible EMG studies.

wendyn on 3/30/01 at 19:51 (043094)

From what I've researched - TTS can be caused by problems with L4, L5 and S1.

Jen on 4/01/01 at 09:23 (043210)

I also have a herniated disc at L5/S1 and the neurosurgeon said that they are two separate problems because there was no nerve compression on the MRI but I've wondered the same thing. I hope their not missing anything and it is my back, which needs to be treated, and not my feet!!

fiona on 4/01/01 at 12:26 (043235)

I am having a nerve conduction test tomorrow - the MRI I had last week only looked at pf and my consultant said a more reliable way of chekcing nerve damage was with the nerve conduction test - maybe you should ask to have one, although reading about them on this board, mixed feelings about their sucess at proving nerve compression - will let you know.

Jeff D on 4/05/01 at 14:42 (043724)

I have had was the doc's have suspected to be TTS for the past 3 years. I seem to have symptoms but nothing conclusive. Negative EMG's and no Tingles. Monday I went for another EMG on my leg and back, still negative, ouch, especially the ones on the outer calf and bottom of foot. The doctor is now sending me for an MRI on my Lumbar, L1 - S1 and also a circulatrion test. I have no back pain or swelling but do have tight hamstrings. Doctor says that sometimes we compensate with our legs for a problem in our back. I go 4/30/01 for both tests. My history has been posted prior.

fiona on 4/06/01 at 10:01 (043808)

That is really interesting as I had MRI of feet & pf inflamation showed up, had nerve conduction tests - negative. But I have discovered during the last couple of weeks that when I do my excercises to help by back (mostly related to pilates strengthening of the stomach and lower back and glut muscles) it makes my feet unbearably painful especially first thing in morning and also after I have rested them. My own conclusion (and I am putting this to my consultant next week) is that something I am doing there is making my feet worse rather than walking - which is what I had assumed it to be.

Somthing you might like to consider, which my pilates teacher told me was that - having thought I have always had tight hamstrings, she suggested it was actually the nerve which runs from the head to the foot which was tight and told me to do gentle stretches by sitting on the floor with straight legs and pushing my head into my chest - surprisingly this makes the feet painful.

I will update you next week post consultant / physio appointments.