Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is anyone pain free

Posted by Pat on 3/30/01 at 08:30 (043033)

Is there anyone out there that is completly pain free after having open heal surgery, 50% pf release and spur removal? Please post.

Re: Is anyone pain free

john h on 3/30/01 at 09:51 (043043)

threre are probably many but they will unlikely be on this board as they have moved on witheir lives.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 12:03 (043055)

Hi,

I have seen patients that are completely pain free from heel spur surgery whether it be open EPF , or MIS. The other side of the coin is I have seen some very poor results with all types of heel spur surgery over the past twenty years. Have you investigated ESWT as a non-surgical option .

Re: For Dr. Z.

Barbara TX on 3/30/01 at 17:28 (043086)

MIS is your surgical treatment of choice. Could you tell us why you think that its the best surgical option for PF? B.

Donna Y. on 3/31/01 at 00:16 (043115)

Had this surgery in January and I am mostly pain free most of the time. Far far better than prior to surgery. I have completely pain free times and I have some sore times, but the full recovery process can take up to a year. I'm pleased with the results after 2 months. But as Dr. Z says, there are plenty of cases on both sides of that coin. I was very fortunate to have been blessed with a successful surgery.

Donna

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/31/01 at 13:41 (043154)

Hi,

The procedure is done thru the bottom where the insertional is much easier to find and view with the fluroscope. There aren't any nerves such as the calcaneal branch which could be cut when going from the side.

The most important aspect from the patients post-op result is that you start from the inside of the medial band and really can'tut too much. I don't cut a specific amount I cut the amount that is necessary to loosen up the pf when compared to the opposite foot.

From the surgeon's point of view much easier to perform . The instruments can be placed into the surgical site and then viewed from a lateral view.

This is an in-office procedure that doesn't require any general anesthesia.
You do need to have a fluroscope machine in the office so that is a doctor's reason for doing the procedure in the outpatient department.

I have done it in the office and in the outpatient when a patient wants to be completely sleeping during the ten minute procedure.

If you want my reason for not doing the EFP procedure I would be happy to continue.

So in summary . The incision is the same of a tip of the finger. The release and removal of bone spur is done at the insertion.
Very small change of nerve injury and cutting too much of the plantar fascia

horseluv-r on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043207)

e-mail me. i will give you my low down.

BrianG on 4/02/01 at 21:30 (043377)

Hi Horseluv-r,

Is it a secret, or can you share it with all of us?

BCG

Damon on 4/12/01 at 20:34 (044406)

John is rightt there are probably many people whom have had sucess with theier surgery. If mine had been good I wouldn't be here looking for answers. So this would not be an objective place to look for sucess stories. But even though my surgery didn't go as well as I had planned I would do it all over again. Damon

john h on 3/30/01 at 09:51 (043043)

threre are probably many but they will unlikely be on this board as they have moved on witheir lives.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 12:03 (043055)

Hi,

I have seen patients that are completely pain free from heel spur surgery whether it be open EPF , or MIS. The other side of the coin is I have seen some very poor results with all types of heel spur surgery over the past twenty years. Have you investigated ESWT as a non-surgical option .

Barbara TX on 3/30/01 at 17:28 (043086)

MIS is your surgical treatment of choice. Could you tell us why you think that its the best surgical option for PF? B.

Donna Y. on 3/31/01 at 00:16 (043115)

Had this surgery in January and I am mostly pain free most of the time. Far far better than prior to surgery. I have completely pain free times and I have some sore times, but the full recovery process can take up to a year. I'm pleased with the results after 2 months. But as Dr. Z says, there are plenty of cases on both sides of that coin. I was very fortunate to have been blessed with a successful surgery.

Donna

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/31/01 at 13:41 (043154)

Hi,

The procedure is done thru the bottom where the insertional is much easier to find and view with the fluroscope. There aren't any nerves such as the calcaneal branch which could be cut when going from the side.

The most important aspect from the patients post-op result is that you start from the inside of the medial band and really can'tut too much. I don't cut a specific amount I cut the amount that is necessary to loosen up the pf when compared to the opposite foot.

From the surgeon's point of view much easier to perform . The instruments can be placed into the surgical site and then viewed from a lateral view.

This is an in-office procedure that doesn't require any general anesthesia.
You do need to have a fluroscope machine in the office so that is a doctor's reason for doing the procedure in the outpatient department.

I have done it in the office and in the outpatient when a patient wants to be completely sleeping during the ten minute procedure.

If you want my reason for not doing the EFP procedure I would be happy to continue.

So in summary . The incision is the same of a tip of the finger. The release and removal of bone spur is done at the insertion.
Very small change of nerve injury and cutting too much of the plantar fascia

horseluv-r on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043207)

e-mail me. i will give you my low down.

BrianG on 4/02/01 at 21:30 (043377)

Hi Horseluv-r,

Is it a secret, or can you share it with all of us?

BCG

Damon on 4/12/01 at 20:34 (044406)

John is rightt there are probably many people whom have had sucess with theier surgery. If mine had been good I wouldn't be here looking for answers. So this would not be an objective place to look for sucess stories. But even though my surgery didn't go as well as I had planned I would do it all over again. Damon