Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Returning pain after epf surgery

Posted by Sherrie M. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043041)

Dr Zuckerman, I had epf surgery on my right foot, with spur resection, in August of 2000. Now I am in more pain than before the surgery! I wear my orthotics religiosly, but the pain goes on. This pain started about 2 weeks ago when I tried on a pair of Dansko shoes the podiatrist told me I could wear without needing orthotics. I wore the shoes for about 2 days then when I returned to my new balance with orthotics I could feel something pulling on my heel and it felt tight straight down the middle of my foot. The tightness started to make my heel burn and sharp pain that I had never felt before was upsetting me. I made an appointment to see my podiatrist , he examined me and said its nothing to worry about it is just a tendonits, use ice and heat, ibuprofen, and continue your daily routine.I did as he said, the next day the pain was so bad I couln't walk.I returned to his office 3 days later, when he saw me he was disgusted when he saw me on crutches. I asked for an MRI, he said it wouldn't show anything, it showed a spur,where do I go from here?

Re: Returning pain after epf surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 10:27 (043045)

Hi,

The EPF surgery leaves the heel spur intact and cuts the portion of the plantar fascia in front of the calcaneus. This is standard for this method of surgical treatment. So the presence of a heel spur is what you would expect. Now about this pain. It sounds like you may have achilles tendonitis. Rest the foot. Avoid the shoe that may have helped to aggravate this problem. Give this another week. Do you account for anything but the shoe that caused this pain.

If you are in severe pain, then a boot cast, strapping is a must at this boot. Off of the foot.

Sherrie M. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043057)

Dr.Z, Thanks for responding so quickly. I have a boot cast on as I speak. I put my orthotics in it for support, I guess that's ok? You really think this could be achilles tendonitis! I am supposed to see an orthopeadic doc on Monday it will be interesting to see what he thinks. In the mean time I will stay off the foot as much as possible! All I've been thinking about is having your surgery, the ESWT, I'm so afraid of going thru many months of agony all over again!

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 12:38 (043059)

Hi,

Is the pain on the bottom of the foot or is it on the back of the heel. If it is one the bottom at the insertion of then it is the plantar fascia again.

Sherrie M. on 3/30/01 at 12:49 (043061)

The pain runs down the center of my foot starting at the heel, it feels like a rubber band pulling so tight I could scream! It is probably fascitis again!! I never had this before the surgery, I never felt anything pulling, my heel just hurt all the time. Could trying shoes on with a high arch do this to me so quickly?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 14:14 (043067)

Hi,

This sounds like the central band of the plantar fascia. If after your consultation with the orthopod and her confirms this then we can talk about ESWT as a treatment option. So rest and wait until your apointment with your orthopod. Let me know how you do.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 10:27 (043045)

Hi,

The EPF surgery leaves the heel spur intact and cuts the portion of the plantar fascia in front of the calcaneus. This is standard for this method of surgical treatment. So the presence of a heel spur is what you would expect. Now about this pain. It sounds like you may have achilles tendonitis. Rest the foot. Avoid the shoe that may have helped to aggravate this problem. Give this another week. Do you account for anything but the shoe that caused this pain.

If you are in severe pain, then a boot cast, strapping is a must at this boot. Off of the foot.

Sherrie M. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043057)

Dr.Z, Thanks for responding so quickly. I have a boot cast on as I speak. I put my orthotics in it for support, I guess that's ok? You really think this could be achilles tendonitis! I am supposed to see an orthopeadic doc on Monday it will be interesting to see what he thinks. In the mean time I will stay off the foot as much as possible! All I've been thinking about is having your surgery, the ESWT, I'm so afraid of going thru many months of agony all over again!

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 12:38 (043059)

Hi,

Is the pain on the bottom of the foot or is it on the back of the heel. If it is one the bottom at the insertion of then it is the plantar fascia again.

Sherrie M. on 3/30/01 at 12:49 (043061)

The pain runs down the center of my foot starting at the heel, it feels like a rubber band pulling so tight I could scream! It is probably fascitis again!! I never had this before the surgery, I never felt anything pulling, my heel just hurt all the time. Could trying shoes on with a high arch do this to me so quickly?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 14:14 (043067)

Hi,

This sounds like the central band of the plantar fascia. If after your consultation with the orthopod and her confirms this then we can talk about ESWT as a treatment option. So rest and wait until your apointment with your orthopod. Let me know how you do.