Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

prev.messg - non-weight bearing

Posted by StephanieO on 3/30/01 at 11:43 (043053)

Drs. -
I posted several weeks ago about going non-weight bearing for 3wks. Well I just got off the crutches(with night splint) yesterday, and my pain is worse now. I am having pain in the heal and arch area, and I an working on the tight calf muscles (never been a problem before). While on crutches I continued icing/hot soaks, Ibuprophen, and some stretching. I went back into my new balances with one year old semi-rigid custom orthotics that now seem too high. Any suggestions???

Re: prev.messg - non-weight bearing

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 12:06 (043056)

Hi,

I would first pull out the orthosis . What type of evaluation and testing have you had. Have you had an mri of the foot and ankle. Was there pain when you were non-weight bearing? Give me some additional information please

StephanieO on 3/30/01 at 21:59 (043111)

I finally did take out the orthotics this morning & it seems to have helped with the arch pain.

I have only had an x-ray to rule out a spur, no MRI. The only pain I had while I was non-weight bearing was once after icing/massaging, and again after a hot soak - both times it just seemed that I had stretched or worked it too much.

I have been dealing with this for 1 1/2 years, 1st in the left foot. (I chose that foot to try the non-weight bearing first). I have always had very specific pain at the point of insertion when very firmly pressed. I have had 2 cortisone shots. The first, before orthotics, only helped about 1 week, at which my Pod. casted me for orthotics. The second didn't seem to do anything.3 rounds of PT and a night splint which I generally would alternate between feet. Standing in one place (even for a few minutes) seems to irritate my feet more quickly than walking, although walking more than 1/2 hour is very painful. My Pod. of course is suggests surgery, only does the open procedure, doesn't put much faith in the endoscopic procedure, and hasn't even heard of ESWT. I have already told him that I don't feel as though I have exhausted all my options, and I sense he was just humoring me when I suggested non-weight bearing.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/31/01 at 12:18 (043149)

Hi,

The fact that you have pin point pain ESWT should be the treatment for you, before any surgery is done. Once the surgery is done there is no turing back. If you have any questions about ESWT just let us know.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 12:06 (043056)

Hi,

I would first pull out the orthosis . What type of evaluation and testing have you had. Have you had an mri of the foot and ankle. Was there pain when you were non-weight bearing? Give me some additional information please

StephanieO on 3/30/01 at 21:59 (043111)

I finally did take out the orthotics this morning & it seems to have helped with the arch pain.

I have only had an x-ray to rule out a spur, no MRI. The only pain I had while I was non-weight bearing was once after icing/massaging, and again after a hot soak - both times it just seemed that I had stretched or worked it too much.

I have been dealing with this for 1 1/2 years, 1st in the left foot. (I chose that foot to try the non-weight bearing first). I have always had very specific pain at the point of insertion when very firmly pressed. I have had 2 cortisone shots. The first, before orthotics, only helped about 1 week, at which my Pod. casted me for orthotics. The second didn't seem to do anything.3 rounds of PT and a night splint which I generally would alternate between feet. Standing in one place (even for a few minutes) seems to irritate my feet more quickly than walking, although walking more than 1/2 hour is very painful. My Pod. of course is suggests surgery, only does the open procedure, doesn't put much faith in the endoscopic procedure, and hasn't even heard of ESWT. I have already told him that I don't feel as though I have exhausted all my options, and I sense he was just humoring me when I suggested non-weight bearing.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/31/01 at 12:18 (043149)

Hi,

The fact that you have pin point pain ESWT should be the treatment for you, before any surgery is done. Once the surgery is done there is no turing back. If you have any questions about ESWT just let us know.