Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics not working

Posted by Paula G. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043063)

I have tried both night splints and orthotics. The orthotics really bother the outer side of my left foot and my ankle and up the back of my leg. I cannot wear them.
I have since wrapped my foot in an ace wrap to cushion the heel and give me some ankle support. That does help. I cannot go without anything or I cannot walk at all. night splints don't work. It is like something works for a time then I am in severe pain again.
My doctor will not order an MRI. He says I don't need one? I am very worried being only 41 and so immobile. I have been reading on a cast to give the feet a rest?
I just don't know what to do next. The ibuprofen I need to seem to need more and more. The podiatrist is okay, but he just goes along with anything I seem to suggest. I wonder how much he really does know.
The orthotics do NOT take the pressure off my heel. I just seem to lose the much needed support for the rest of my foot.

Re: orthotics not working P.S.

Paula G. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043064)

I have read the PF Book on line. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have had the cortisone shot and that does nothing either. I have tried celebrex and vioxx and they don't work.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 14:33 (043068)

Hi,

So you have plantar fasciitis or a heel spur at the insertion of the heel.
Do you have the first step in the morning type of pain. Is there pain when you place pressure on the heel bone side to side. Could you again tell me your history?

Paula G. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043099)

I was diagnosed about 15 months ago when I could no longer stand on my feet as a cashier I went to my MD. She had x-rays and told me I had heel spurs. I wanted 2nd opinion and went to ortho. He applied pressure in the middle of my heel where the pain was worse and diagnosed me with PF also.
I have tried better shoes, anti-inflammatory drugs, cortisone shot that helped for about 5 weeks. I have orthotics that only bother my feet more and cause left ankle pain along with pain on the outside of my left foot.
night splints don't help. All these things seemed to help at first but the relief is non-lasting. The only thing that gave me instant relief was when the doctor taped my left foot. And that helped awhile.
I now just am wearing an ace wrap on my left foot for support and cushioning for my heel. My right foot used to be the problem. Now it is the left. The pain gets worse throughout the day. Getting out of bed is a nightmare! I am a stay at home mom with two small children so I am on my feet a lot, but we have hard wood floors. I have heard that can exacerbate the problem. The pain seems to be right where the fascia joins the bone (the middle).
The doctor has not done an MRI. He said I don't need one. The podiatrist I am seeing now just sits and listens to me bawl and cry my depression with the pain to him. He seems to only do what I suggest, that is why I got night splints and orthotics.
I just wonder what the next step is. Of course the pain is extremely worse just standing, ie. doing dishes, or cooking..
Thank you for listening

Paula G. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043102)

Oh, one more thing that I forgot that is important. I saught out a podiatrist early last month because in January about 5 weeks after my cortisone shot my left foot was getting steadily worse and I was bent down and felt a 'tearing' in my left foot that felt like the fascia pulling and tearing and ripping. From that point on the pain has been more severe. Vioxx and celebrex does nothing to help.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/31/01 at 12:00 (043145)

Hi,

You need to have a mri to rule out stress fracture. If the mri is normal meaning you no fracture of joint surface damage, ligament tear or tendon tear then ESWT would be a consideration for you. We have had some very good results using this for chronic , severe heel pain that hasn't resolved with previous treatments. If you would like additional informatoin about this procedure just let me know.

Barbara TX on 4/01/01 at 14:33 (043262)

Hello Paula G - so sorry about your depression and struggle. I am a stay-at-home mom with little kids too, and at times it is overwhelming... You have to creatively redesign your life for a long-haul recovery. If you keep pushing yourself to live the same way you did before, you will find recovery very dificult and much longer than if you really take a hard look at ways to change your routine to get off your feet more. Get a rolling office chair for cooking and doing dishes, or some swiveling, hight adjustable stool on wheels. Put chairs/stools everywhere you typically stand for longer periods - in front of the dryer/washer/changing table/bathroon sink, etc. Hire help. Order your groceries on-line. Anything, anything not to be standing unnecessarily.

One thing about depression. Often people are helped with long-term recovery periods by going on an anti-depressant temporarily. Just be sure that you know all of the side effects (possible weight gain) before you try it. Has your doctor every prescribed physical therapy for you? Pleased also click on the ESWT link to see if this new heel pain procedure might be for you. Also, if you haven't had good success with hard orthotics, consider going to a pedorthist and having soft ones made. Good luck to you! B.

Re: Thanks

Paula G. on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043317)

I will call the doctor today and tell them I want an MRI. I now just use the ace wrap around my ankle and foot and it must be snug and almost tight to work for support. That is the only way I can seem to walk. Strange the taping when the doctor did it worked wonders also.
Just nothing else....He is not real informative and I must be the assertive one with my care and it is very hard when you do not know what to do. Thank you.

Paula G. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043064)

I have read the PF Book on line. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have had the cortisone shot and that does nothing either. I have tried celebrex and vioxx and they don't work.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/01 at 14:33 (043068)

Hi,

So you have plantar fasciitis or a heel spur at the insertion of the heel.
Do you have the first step in the morning type of pain. Is there pain when you place pressure on the heel bone side to side. Could you again tell me your history?

Paula G. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043099)

I was diagnosed about 15 months ago when I could no longer stand on my feet as a cashier I went to my MD. She had x-rays and told me I had heel spurs. I wanted 2nd opinion and went to ortho. He applied pressure in the middle of my heel where the pain was worse and diagnosed me with PF also.
I have tried better shoes, anti-inflammatory drugs, cortisone shot that helped for about 5 weeks. I have orthotics that only bother my feet more and cause left ankle pain along with pain on the outside of my left foot.
night splints don't help. All these things seemed to help at first but the relief is non-lasting. The only thing that gave me instant relief was when the doctor taped my left foot. And that helped awhile.
I now just am wearing an ace wrap on my left foot for support and cushioning for my heel. My right foot used to be the problem. Now it is the left. The pain gets worse throughout the day. Getting out of bed is a nightmare! I am a stay at home mom with two small children so I am on my feet a lot, but we have hard wood floors. I have heard that can exacerbate the problem. The pain seems to be right where the fascia joins the bone (the middle).
The doctor has not done an MRI. He said I don't need one. The podiatrist I am seeing now just sits and listens to me bawl and cry my depression with the pain to him. He seems to only do what I suggest, that is why I got night splints and orthotics.
I just wonder what the next step is. Of course the pain is extremely worse just standing, ie. doing dishes, or cooking..
Thank you for listening

Paula G. on 3/30/01 at hrmin (043102)

Oh, one more thing that I forgot that is important. I saught out a podiatrist early last month because in January about 5 weeks after my cortisone shot my left foot was getting steadily worse and I was bent down and felt a 'tearing' in my left foot that felt like the fascia pulling and tearing and ripping. From that point on the pain has been more severe. Vioxx and celebrex does nothing to help.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/31/01 at 12:00 (043145)

Hi,

You need to have a mri to rule out stress fracture. If the mri is normal meaning you no fracture of joint surface damage, ligament tear or tendon tear then ESWT would be a consideration for you. We have had some very good results using this for chronic , severe heel pain that hasn't resolved with previous treatments. If you would like additional informatoin about this procedure just let me know.

Barbara TX on 4/01/01 at 14:33 (043262)

Hello Paula G - so sorry about your depression and struggle. I am a stay-at-home mom with little kids too, and at times it is overwhelming... You have to creatively redesign your life for a long-haul recovery. If you keep pushing yourself to live the same way you did before, you will find recovery very dificult and much longer than if you really take a hard look at ways to change your routine to get off your feet more. Get a rolling office chair for cooking and doing dishes, or some swiveling, hight adjustable stool on wheels. Put chairs/stools everywhere you typically stand for longer periods - in front of the dryer/washer/changing table/bathroon sink, etc. Hire help. Order your groceries on-line. Anything, anything not to be standing unnecessarily.

One thing about depression. Often people are helped with long-term recovery periods by going on an anti-depressant temporarily. Just be sure that you know all of the side effects (possible weight gain) before you try it. Has your doctor every prescribed physical therapy for you? Pleased also click on the ESWT link to see if this new heel pain procedure might be for you. Also, if you haven't had good success with hard orthotics, consider going to a pedorthist and having soft ones made. Good luck to you! B.

Re: Thanks

Paula G. on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043317)

I will call the doctor today and tell them I want an MRI. I now just use the ace wrap around my ankle and foot and it must be snug and almost tight to work for support. That is the only way I can seem to walk. Strange the taping when the doctor did it worked wonders also.
Just nothing else....He is not real informative and I must be the assertive one with my care and it is very hard when you do not know what to do. Thank you.