Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post surgery for plantar fascia release

Posted by Kathy on 3/30/01 at 17:27 (043085)

Hi. I had a plantar fasciotomy almost four months ago and while i have certainly been told that having discomfort at this point is not unusual, i am beginning to wonder. I have bouts of severe pain, in the heel and the PF area, as well as around the ankle and into the top of the foot. I have had a month of physical therapy and now they are letting me go because they think they have done all they can do for me. I am still disabled by this pain. Do any of you kind people have any suggestions, besides a new doctor?

Re: Post surgery for plantar fascia release

Lynda S. on 3/30/01 at 19:19 (043093)

Kathy:

I can understand your discouragement. I had two procedures for release of my fascia, the endoscopic approach and then the more open, followed by physical therapy. Neither of them helped. My podiatrist never said to me 'I can't help you any more'. When all of his methods had failed he recommended trying an antidepressant which he said some of his diabetic patients had remarked helped their foot neuropathy. He started me on a low dose, and while he said it wouldn't make my foot pain disappear overnight, he wanted to see if it had any help at all. It was the only thing that was ever tried that made a bit of difference! Now, five years later, after going through a pain management course in which the dose of the antidepressant Nortriptyline was adjusted, and finding those marvelous Birkenstocks which helped so much more than orthotics of any kind, I feel I have my life back to some degree. While I would much rather not be taking medication all the time for this, I know what it felt like before, and prefer this over the other. Hopefully, you will still be in the healing stage of your procedure, but if not, please don't rule something like this out.

Keep us informed.
Good Luck

Tracey A on 3/30/01 at 21:23 (043107)

Kathy,
I just read you message and it sounds just like me. I had 2 surgeries(7-8-00 and 9-12-00). The first surgery was not successful and I als went to P.T for 2 mos and it did'nt help. He did'nt know what to do so he sent me to someone else. The 2nd doctor did another surgery and it to was unsuccesful and I went to P.T. for 2 more months and it did'nt help either. He did an MRI and it came back normal so he cut me lose because my test was normal. I was in alot of pain and still in pain. He refused to see me again and release me back to work. I had to quit my job because of the pain. I went and saw a 3rd doctor who said I have permanent damage. There was nothing he could do at this point. The 1st doctor cut nerves in my heel and it's still numb and the 2nd doctor extende the incision from the first surgery and went under the arch and cut the bllod vessels and now the blood has no place to go. The heel is swollen and purple. I really hope you feel better my thoughts and prayers go out for you. I wish I could give you some good advice, but please get another opinion, get a ultrasound,or an MRI or x-rays. Don't give up I haven't....

Jimmy M. on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043385)

Dear Doctor

I had tarsal tunnel release surgery 4 months ago. I am an endurance athlete, competing in Ironman Distance Triathlons. I have experienced a significant improvement in my plantar fascia and heel pain particularly in the last 3 weeks. I experience some twinges of that old familiar pain, however, particularly after doing a long run (18-22 miles). Does my recovery sound typical? What can I expect in terms of recovery over the next months?

Thank you

Jimmy

Lynda S. on 3/30/01 at 19:19 (043093)

Kathy:

I can understand your discouragement. I had two procedures for release of my fascia, the endoscopic approach and then the more open, followed by physical therapy. Neither of them helped. My podiatrist never said to me 'I can't help you any more'. When all of his methods had failed he recommended trying an antidepressant which he said some of his diabetic patients had remarked helped their foot neuropathy. He started me on a low dose, and while he said it wouldn't make my foot pain disappear overnight, he wanted to see if it had any help at all. It was the only thing that was ever tried that made a bit of difference! Now, five years later, after going through a pain management course in which the dose of the antidepressant Nortriptyline was adjusted, and finding those marvelous Birkenstocks which helped so much more than orthotics of any kind, I feel I have my life back to some degree. While I would much rather not be taking medication all the time for this, I know what it felt like before, and prefer this over the other. Hopefully, you will still be in the healing stage of your procedure, but if not, please don't rule something like this out.

Keep us informed.
Good Luck

Tracey A on 3/30/01 at 21:23 (043107)

Kathy,
I just read you message and it sounds just like me. I had 2 surgeries(7-8-00 and 9-12-00). The first surgery was not successful and I als went to P.T for 2 mos and it did'nt help. He did'nt know what to do so he sent me to someone else. The 2nd doctor did another surgery and it to was unsuccesful and I went to P.T. for 2 more months and it did'nt help either. He did an MRI and it came back normal so he cut me lose because my test was normal. I was in alot of pain and still in pain. He refused to see me again and release me back to work. I had to quit my job because of the pain. I went and saw a 3rd doctor who said I have permanent damage. There was nothing he could do at this point. The 1st doctor cut nerves in my heel and it's still numb and the 2nd doctor extende the incision from the first surgery and went under the arch and cut the bllod vessels and now the blood has no place to go. The heel is swollen and purple. I really hope you feel better my thoughts and prayers go out for you. I wish I could give you some good advice, but please get another opinion, get a ultrasound,or an MRI or x-rays. Don't give up I haven't....

Jimmy M. on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043385)

Dear Doctor

I had tarsal tunnel release surgery 4 months ago. I am an endurance athlete, competing in Ironman Distance Triathlons. I have experienced a significant improvement in my plantar fascia and heel pain particularly in the last 3 weeks. I experience some twinges of that old familiar pain, however, particularly after doing a long run (18-22 miles). Does my recovery sound typical? What can I expect in terms of recovery over the next months?

Thank you

Jimmy