Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sand

Posted by paula on 3/30/01 at 19:02 (043090)

i have really flat pronating feet, and remember walking on beach sand the only times my feet ever felt really good. have not tried it since the pf. went to 'sand' on search board here and found a very few people benifited from it. anymore sand stories.\? i am thinking of buying some sand, putting it in a sand box and walking around in it. if it is safe to go barefoot in sand. does this sound crazy to people? seems like nature evolved us to walk on soft natural surfaces.

Re: sand

Pam R. on 3/30/01 at 19:16 (043092)

Paula, sounds good to me. I grew up in Miami Beach. I'm a sand walker from way back. Wish I could live on the beach now. (stuck in the hills of Georgia for now). I'll play in your sandbox. Pam

Re: sand (and i live in north georgia too)

paula gr on 3/30/01 at 20:54 (043104)

know any good docs or therapists?

Pam R. on 3/31/01 at 18:17 (043169)

I don't know how far north you live in Georgia and what kind of doctor you are looking for except a good Pod. My Rheumotogoist is Dr. Hayes Wilson 2001 Peachtree Road , Atlanta, (404)357-2551 and my terrific OB. doctor is Mary Pitcher ,643 Campbell Hill st N. W.

Re: sand (and i live in north georgia too) thanks pam

paula gr on 3/31/01 at 18:46 (043176)

thanks. i am looking for a poditrist, at least for one who knows what medial wedge or post is. i live in atlanta pam. i am also looking for a good physical therapist. and i invite you or anyone with pf in or near atlanta to e mail me if you want contact

paula gr on 3/31/01 at 18:47 (043178)

thanks. i am looking for a poditrist, at least for one who knows what medial wedge or post is. i live in atlanta pam. i am also looking for a good physical therapist. and i invite you or anyone with pf in or near atlanta to e mail me if you want contact

Pam R. on 4/01/01 at 13:22 (043251)

My Pod is Dr. Henson. He also has an office in Riverdale--address is 253-B Upper Riverdale Rd. ,Riverdale ,Ga.30274 Telephone # is 770-997-3668. He's a great foot Doc and if you decide to see him tell him Pam R. and Home Depot sent you to him from the Griffin office. I'll think he'll know if you mention the word ' bidet ' to him. It's an inside joke. He has a wonderful bedside manner and has a great sense of humor along with being a very good doctor. Even if it's a little out of your way, you won't be sorry that you made the trip. Soft ((HUGS)) Pam

ellen on 4/02/01 at 09:12 (043309)

Someone -- I think it was Donna -- posted an article awhile back from the March issue of BioMechanics. In this article, the author/doctor specifically recommended against walking barefoot in the sand.

Bill E. on 4/02/01 at 13:19 (043329)

I have to agree with Ellen. I believe that I injured my plantar fascia by running barefoot on the beach last summer. As a runner I have always been told that one should never run barefoot in sand. When I was younger, I used to do it occasionally and would be sore as hell the next day. There is such a feeling of freedom if you can get away with it. But I think that the heel sinks too far and as you roll the foot forward to lift off there is too much force on the plantar fascia. At least that is what it feels like to me.

I guess that as I have gotten older it was more than simple soreness. Though I have to admit that I (stupidly) went for another run about a week or so later when my heels were still pretty sore. Now I haven't run for 8 or 9 months. But I'm getting there...

Julie on 4/02/01 at 17:12 (043358)

One of the first things my pod told me was 'don't walk barefoot in the sand' - for exactly the reason you give, Bill.

Having said that, I had a really marvellous long walk along the beach in South India in January - but on the hard sand where the tide comes in. Like normal barefoot walking on a pleasant surface. It was so liberating, and I felt such joy! And there were no ill effects. But I haven't tried it again - don't want to push my luck.

JudyS on 4/03/01 at 11:38 (043432)

Julie- reading these posts about beach-walking reminded me of an experience I had with that early last fall. I was at about 40% improvement at that point but still couldn't be upright for very long. My husband and I were camping up on the Central Coast and one morning I decided that I HAD to go for a walk at the shore's edge. I walked, barefoot, in the cold, hard-pac of sand at the water's edge for about 45 minutes. I had zero soreness during or after the walk! I deduced that it was because the surf was quite chilly and worked at keeping my inflammation down during the walk.

john a on 4/03/01 at 12:40 (043441)

I always thought it odd that walking barefoot in sand is thought to be bad for PF. I would think that sand's natural self-conforming nature would be ideal for providing the arches of the foot just the right support. Isn't a barefoot sand footprint the model on which the Birkenstock is based? :-) Of course, the Birk is much much harder and unyielding than sand, so maybe it _is_ just the fact that your heel sinks deeply in sand that is the problem? If so, the hard water-packed sand at the shore would be better, and not running even more so. And I would think that if your calves were well stretched and used to it, regular sand-walking could actually _prevent_ PF.

Pam R. on 3/30/01 at 19:16 (043092)

Paula, sounds good to me. I grew up in Miami Beach. I'm a sand walker from way back. Wish I could live on the beach now. (stuck in the hills of Georgia for now). I'll play in your sandbox. Pam

paula gr on 3/30/01 at 20:54 (043104)

know any good docs or therapists?

Pam R. on 3/31/01 at 18:17 (043169)

I don't know how far north you live in Georgia and what kind of doctor you are looking for except a good Pod. My Rheumotogoist is Dr. Hayes Wilson 2001 Peachtree Road , Atlanta, (404)357-2551 and my terrific OB. doctor is Mary Pitcher ,643 Campbell Hill st N. W.

paula gr on 3/31/01 at 18:46 (043176)

paula gr on 3/31/01 at 18:47 (043178)

Pam R. on 4/01/01 at 13:22 (043251)

My Pod is Dr. Henson. He also has an office in Riverdale--address is 253-B Upper Riverdale Rd. ,Riverdale ,Ga.30274 Telephone # is 770-997-3668. He's a great foot Doc and if you decide to see him tell him Pam R. and Home Depot sent you to him from the Griffin office. I'll think he'll know if you mention the word ' bidet ' to him. It's an inside joke. He has a wonderful bedside manner and has a great sense of humor along with being a very good doctor. Even if it's a little out of your way, you won't be sorry that you made the trip. Soft ((HUGS)) Pam

ellen on 4/02/01 at 09:12 (043309)

Someone -- I think it was Donna -- posted an article awhile back from the March issue of BioMechanics. In this article, the author/doctor specifically recommended against walking barefoot in the sand.

Bill E. on 4/02/01 at 13:19 (043329)

I have to agree with Ellen. I believe that I injured my plantar fascia by running barefoot on the beach last summer. As a runner I have always been told that one should never run barefoot in sand. When I was younger, I used to do it occasionally and would be sore as hell the next day. There is such a feeling of freedom if you can get away with it. But I think that the heel sinks too far and as you roll the foot forward to lift off there is too much force on the plantar fascia. At least that is what it feels like to me.

I guess that as I have gotten older it was more than simple soreness. Though I have to admit that I (stupidly) went for another run about a week or so later when my heels were still pretty sore. Now I haven't run for 8 or 9 months. But I'm getting there...

Julie on 4/02/01 at 17:12 (043358)

One of the first things my pod told me was 'don't walk barefoot in the sand' - for exactly the reason you give, Bill.

Having said that, I had a really marvellous long walk along the beach in South India in January - but on the hard sand where the tide comes in. Like normal barefoot walking on a pleasant surface. It was so liberating, and I felt such joy! And there were no ill effects. But I haven't tried it again - don't want to push my luck.

JudyS on 4/03/01 at 11:38 (043432)

Julie- reading these posts about beach-walking reminded me of an experience I had with that early last fall. I was at about 40% improvement at that point but still couldn't be upright for very long. My husband and I were camping up on the Central Coast and one morning I decided that I HAD to go for a walk at the shore's edge. I walked, barefoot, in the cold, hard-pac of sand at the water's edge for about 45 minutes. I had zero soreness during or after the walk! I deduced that it was because the surf was quite chilly and worked at keeping my inflammation down during the walk.

john a on 4/03/01 at 12:40 (043441)

I always thought it odd that walking barefoot in sand is thought to be bad for PF. I would think that sand's natural self-conforming nature would be ideal for providing the arches of the foot just the right support. Isn't a barefoot sand footprint the model on which the Birkenstock is based? :-) Of course, the Birk is much much harder and unyielding than sand, so maybe it _is_ just the fact that your heel sinks deeply in sand that is the problem? If so, the hard water-packed sand at the shore would be better, and not running even more so. And I would think that if your calves were well stretched and used to it, regular sand-walking could actually _prevent_ PF.