Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

waiting for ESWT

Posted by Jeanette H on 3/31/01 at 15:33 (043165)

Is there anyone in St. Louis who has had this procedure? I am still waiting for 'approval' so far it has been 5 weeks... I have bilateral PF, and have been through a lot of treatments,ranging from PT (I have home exercises, had ultrasound with anti- inflammatory ointments, massages and shoe inserts, to cortisone shots to ice, and orthodics.... I am an RN ( as I can tell many of us are that have this PF), ice in the evening hasn't helped, not any drugs I have tried OTC's and prescription drugs...I work prn and have stopped doing this because the pain is getting worse.

Has anyone experienced 'shooting pains' when driving or when @ rest? Is this common or could I now have something else wrong with my feet? I have a few heel spurs on both feet also....

If I use an ace wrap and 'support the arch' of my foot this provides some help but still not enough.

After reading this back before I send it ...I really sound like a crabby complaining patient, I think that no one really knows what we are going through unless you have this! It's not like you can't just stop walking!
I also find it interestering that my mom, and 2 sisters suffer from this one is a nurse, the other a long distance runner... any genetic link associated with this condition?

I hope this procedure will help me if I ever get it done I will keep in contact. How long is recovery, can I start working again? Thanks for the web site!

Re: waiting for ESWT

Camilla on 3/31/01 at 23:00 (043193)

Jeanette,

Our stories could mirror each other. Down to the nursing occupation. I've used a night splint too...cute...you bet !!!! And no I don't think you are a cry baby. It's hard to be on your feet, no matter what. It's worse when it's a concrete floor like we pound 8-12-16 hours a day. Believe me I'm not looking for sympathy...just more than temporary relief.

My denial for ESWT coverage didn't take five weeks. Mercy HMO was quick to call with a personal telephone denial. To prove their fairness she shared with me that I wasn't the only denial. They have had 300 requests for treament this year....all denied. Additionally, she told me that both BC/BS and United Healthcare consider this treatment to be experimental... not enough studies in the U.S. to prove efficacy. I guess she thought that would make me feel better!!! Hard to believe the FDA would approve something that doesn't have scientific merit. I asked the manager if there was a possibilty that they might hire someone that could interrupt all the German research. I'm sure this 'messenger' was glad when I ended our encounter with notification that I planned to file a claim with the Missouri Department of Insurance. BLAH!, BLAH!, BLAH! Mercy HMO was kind enough to send their denial decision in a registered letter. NOW, I'M WHINING!!!

Some of my worst pain, other than walking, is when I driving. It's not a shooting pain...it's just a major discomfort. I can use the cruise control and keep my knees at right angles and it doesn't matter.

My worse pain is getting out of bed first thing in the morning. Stretching helps. Indocin SR 75mg one tablet daily has been my best anti-inflamatory. Tried to get Vioxx...it's not on Mercy HMO formulary. A bout of poison ivy last summer necessitates a Prednisone dose-pak...my feet never felt better. Can't stay Predinsone forever!!!!

Curious...is the physician that plans to do your treatment a Podiotrist or Orthopedic Surgeon? How many treatments has s(he)done? Where is the treatment being done? How many treatment do they plan for you?

Something about cost. I was told the surgery center there fee is $2500, the doctors fee is $1500 and if a nerve block is needed there is an additional anesthesia fee. I considered paying out of pocket or having the treatment done while I'm in Germany next month.

Keep in touch,
Camilla

Kay S on 4/01/01 at 12:33 (043236)

Welcome to the board, Jeanette.
I haven't seen a post from her in awhile, but I know that Karin L. had her treatment in St. Louis also, and had success with it. However, her other foot is starting to bother her and she is now waiting to have ESWT done on it too. Maybe she will see your post and repond.
I am a nurse also, and think our pf is a result of all the time we spend walking up and down those long hallways from one patient room to another. And the fact that a nurse almost never sits during the day can't help much either!
If the ace wrap helps, then probably taping would too. Search for Julie's posts on this subject because she is our taping expert. Also, if you haven't already done so, read the PF Book (or whatever it is called now) from this site. You will find a wealth of information in it.
Many of us have had those shooting pains associated with pf and I doubt yours indicate any additional problems, but your reaction to them is the same as all of us...............fear that yet something else was going wrong!
Go on the ESWT section to see posts about people who have had the treatment and their outcomes.
Don't give up! And don't worry about complaining. We all have to do it from time to time to maintain our sanity. I think it just goes with the territory of chronic pain.
Keep coming back to the board whenever you need some support. We'll all be here to help you.
Kay

Julie on 4/01/01 at 12:49 (043239)

Hello Jeanette, and Camilla too

I think Kay is right to say that taping might help you. But a search won't pull up my posts (only 200 posts show in each category, and not the most recent ones) so I'll explain. If you look at Part 2 of the heel pain book, you'll see various taping methods. Try the simplest one first: two strips connecting the ball of the foot and the heel. This is the only method I've ever used (so I'm not an expert, but thanks Kay dear!) and I've found it as supportive as the much more complicated wrapping technique my pod used.

You need a good quality tape that won't lose its tension (I use Leuko tape, made by Beiersdorf), and you need to experiment with the tension. I find it tends to be too tight if I apply it with my foot in neutral, and just right if I fully dorsiflex. Tape works (if it's going to - it doesn't for everyone) by substituting its tension for the tension in the fascia. One of the fascia's functions is to support the arch, an ability it partly loses when it tears. So taping doesn't just relieve pain, it actually rests the fascia, which is what it needs most in order to heal.

The two-strip technique has the advantage that because it is simple and economical, you can easily remove it every night and re-apply it every morning. I don't think it's a good idea to keep tape on for days, partly because it loses its tension and is unpleasant when it gets wet, and because it can't be good for the skin not to be allowed to breathe and recover.

If you try it and have any problems, I'll be glad to try to help.

BTW, the number of posters who seem to have acquired PF because they work at jobs that require them to be on their feet all day is growing! I think we could do with a huge public relations effort aimed at increasing PF awareness!

All the best, Julie

Kay S on 4/01/01 at 13:16 (043248)

It's 'respond', not repond. I hate when I do that.
Kay

Karin L. on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043268)

Jeanette,
Hi...I am from St. Louis and have had the procedure. Had my right foot done in Dec. & at 12 weeks, I still have no pain. I am waiting for May to get here to have the left foot done. I have United Health Choice Plus and they are being real sticklers for payment. They initially told me no problem then 2 months after the procedure, they balked. We have re-submitted and are waiting for the outcome. Let me know if I can help you further. My Dr. is a pod, Dr. Karl Collins, who is a real sweetheart. He is with Parkcrest Surgical in Creve Coeur. Good luck.

Camilla on 3/31/01 at 23:00 (043193)

Jeanette,

Our stories could mirror each other. Down to the nursing occupation. I've used a night splint too...cute...you bet !!!! And no I don't think you are a cry baby. It's hard to be on your feet, no matter what. It's worse when it's a concrete floor like we pound 8-12-16 hours a day. Believe me I'm not looking for sympathy...just more than temporary relief.

My denial for ESWT coverage didn't take five weeks. Mercy HMO was quick to call with a personal telephone denial. To prove their fairness she shared with me that I wasn't the only denial. They have had 300 requests for treament this year....all denied. Additionally, she told me that both BC/BS and United Healthcare consider this treatment to be experimental... not enough studies in the U.S. to prove efficacy. I guess she thought that would make me feel better!!! Hard to believe the FDA would approve something that doesn't have scientific merit. I asked the manager if there was a possibilty that they might hire someone that could interrupt all the German research. I'm sure this 'messenger' was glad when I ended our encounter with notification that I planned to file a claim with the Missouri Department of Insurance. BLAH!, BLAH!, BLAH! Mercy HMO was kind enough to send their denial decision in a registered letter. NOW, I'M WHINING!!!

Some of my worst pain, other than walking, is when I driving. It's not a shooting pain...it's just a major discomfort. I can use the cruise control and keep my knees at right angles and it doesn't matter.

My worse pain is getting out of bed first thing in the morning. Stretching helps. Indocin SR 75mg one tablet daily has been my best anti-inflamatory. Tried to get Vioxx...it's not on Mercy HMO formulary. A bout of poison ivy last summer necessitates a Prednisone dose-pak...my feet never felt better. Can't stay Predinsone forever!!!!

Curious...is the physician that plans to do your treatment a Podiotrist or Orthopedic Surgeon? How many treatments has s(he)done? Where is the treatment being done? How many treatment do they plan for you?

Something about cost. I was told the surgery center there fee is $2500, the doctors fee is $1500 and if a nerve block is needed there is an additional anesthesia fee. I considered paying out of pocket or having the treatment done while I'm in Germany next month.

Keep in touch,
Camilla

Kay S on 4/01/01 at 12:33 (043236)

Welcome to the board, Jeanette.
I haven't seen a post from her in awhile, but I know that Karin L. had her treatment in St. Louis also, and had success with it. However, her other foot is starting to bother her and she is now waiting to have ESWT done on it too. Maybe she will see your post and repond.
I am a nurse also, and think our pf is a result of all the time we spend walking up and down those long hallways from one patient room to another. And the fact that a nurse almost never sits during the day can't help much either!
If the ace wrap helps, then probably taping would too. Search for Julie's posts on this subject because she is our taping expert. Also, if you haven't already done so, read the PF Book (or whatever it is called now) from this site. You will find a wealth of information in it.
Many of us have had those shooting pains associated with pf and I doubt yours indicate any additional problems, but your reaction to them is the same as all of us...............fear that yet something else was going wrong!
Go on the ESWT section to see posts about people who have had the treatment and their outcomes.
Don't give up! And don't worry about complaining. We all have to do it from time to time to maintain our sanity. I think it just goes with the territory of chronic pain.
Keep coming back to the board whenever you need some support. We'll all be here to help you.
Kay

Julie on 4/01/01 at 12:49 (043239)

Hello Jeanette, and Camilla too

I think Kay is right to say that taping might help you. But a search won't pull up my posts (only 200 posts show in each category, and not the most recent ones) so I'll explain. If you look at Part 2 of the heel pain book, you'll see various taping methods. Try the simplest one first: two strips connecting the ball of the foot and the heel. This is the only method I've ever used (so I'm not an expert, but thanks Kay dear!) and I've found it as supportive as the much more complicated wrapping technique my pod used.

You need a good quality tape that won't lose its tension (I use Leuko tape, made by Beiersdorf), and you need to experiment with the tension. I find it tends to be too tight if I apply it with my foot in neutral, and just right if I fully dorsiflex. Tape works (if it's going to - it doesn't for everyone) by substituting its tension for the tension in the fascia. One of the fascia's functions is to support the arch, an ability it partly loses when it tears. So taping doesn't just relieve pain, it actually rests the fascia, which is what it needs most in order to heal.

The two-strip technique has the advantage that because it is simple and economical, you can easily remove it every night and re-apply it every morning. I don't think it's a good idea to keep tape on for days, partly because it loses its tension and is unpleasant when it gets wet, and because it can't be good for the skin not to be allowed to breathe and recover.

If you try it and have any problems, I'll be glad to try to help.

BTW, the number of posters who seem to have acquired PF because they work at jobs that require them to be on their feet all day is growing! I think we could do with a huge public relations effort aimed at increasing PF awareness!

All the best, Julie

Kay S on 4/01/01 at 13:16 (043248)

It's 'respond', not repond. I hate when I do that.
Kay

Karin L. on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043268)

Jeanette,
Hi...I am from St. Louis and have had the procedure. Had my right foot done in Dec. & at 12 weeks, I still have no pain. I am waiting for May to get here to have the left foot done. I have United Health Choice Plus and they are being real sticklers for payment. They initially told me no problem then 2 months after the procedure, they balked. We have re-submitted and are waiting for the outcome. Let me know if I can help you further. My Dr. is a pod, Dr. Karl Collins, who is a real sweetheart. He is with Parkcrest Surgical in Creve Coeur. Good luck.