Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ordering Birks from the German site

Posted by Nancy N on 3/31/01 at 16:52 (043166)

I just visited my new pedorthodude again today and got a new pair of New Balance motion control sneakers, and tried on some Birks. I have my size now, and have been looking around on birkenstock-cn.com. I am amazed at the prices vs. the price in the pedorthist's catalog and am worried that I'm going to have to keep tight control on my credit card!!

Anyway, I was looking at the Tatami Rio Grandes (which are about $70 less on the German site), and I also thought about getting some more casual/dressy sandals as well--maybe the Oslo, the Bali, or the Genua. I'm sure the answer is around here somewhere, but can anybody tell me how much the shipping is, how long the shoes take to arrive, and if there's any shipping discount if you order more than one pair?

And if anyone has experience with any of those Birk styles, I'd love to hear what you think of them. Thanks much!

Re: ordering Birks from the German site

Lori E. on 3/31/01 at 18:01 (043167)

Nancy,
I have ordered several pairs from that site. Shipping is generally around $15 for airmail. It takes about 3 weeks to get them that way. If you ship regular mail( which I've never done,) it will take about 2-3 months to get your shoes. I don't think they don't give you a deal on ship either, if I remember correctly. Even with the extra cost of shipping it is worth it to buy your birks from that site if you are looking to save money.

john h on 3/31/01 at 18:16 (043168)

I was in a 'Sams' store today and they had a large selection of Petulas made by Birkenstock. I see them on the German site also. They look just like regular Birks to me particularly the Airizona model. They were $34 at sams. Anyone know what difference there is? the footbed looks exactly the same.

Lori E. on 3/31/01 at 19:46 (043184)

I have tried the Betulas, the are NOT the same as regular birks. They look the same, which is why I tried them, but boy, did they hurt my feet.
I recommend to anyone who is ordering from the German site to go to a Birk store where they have lots of different styles, try them all on find out the kind of Birk that works for you and the size and then order from the birks site. Returning to Germany is a pain, I have done it, and if you have PF then you know that those lines at the post office are murder.

Nancy N on 3/31/01 at 20:52 (043187)

Lori--

Any idea what the difference is between the Betulas and everything else? I was on my way out to Sams when I saw John's message, so I looked for them and bought a pair. I wasn't sure if I should do that or not, but as long as I don't wear them, I can return them, so I figured I'd get them while they actually had something in my (huge) size. I'll also call the guy who had me trying different shoes on today and see what he has to say, but I'd love some info from anyone who's tried them.

Lori E. on 3/31/01 at 22:02 (043188)

Nancy,
I don't really know what the exact difference was, just that the foot bed was different and it hurt my feet.
If you haven't tried them, it's worth a shot at that price. Wear them around the house for a week and see if they work for you.

Kay S on 3/31/01 at 22:20 (043189)

I bought the Birks at Sam's that John is talking about and wore them tonight for the first time and they are great!
Kay

Kay S on 3/31/01 at 22:26 (043190)

I nominate Lori and Beverly as the board's SHOE QUEENS. Honestly, you two have more information about shoes than Imelda!!!
Kay

john h on 4/01/01 at 12:13 (043230)

wear them around the house nancy to see if they work for you. you can still return them (use socks).

Nancy N on 4/01/01 at 12:16 (043231)

John--

This is what I was thinking, too, except that they are tied together with that plastic tie they use (like if you buy shoes at K-Mart and they don't want you to take one without the other!). Do you think they'd still take them back if I cut the tie to try them out?

Re: Is it better to pay full price for your first pair...

Nancy N on 4/01/01 at 12:23 (043234)

To make sure that they are the right size? I really like the pedorthodude that I found, and he has already got me in a much better pair of sneakers than what I was wearing before. He says my feet are the same size and shape that his are, and the sneakers he sold me are actually men's sneakers (Jeez, I always knew I had big feet, but good grief...). So I do feel sort of guilty buying the Birks elsewhere and then asking him to look at them if I have any trouble with them. Do you think it would be a bad thing if I went in with Birks I ordered online? I don't want to rip anybody off, be it in terms of time or money. But at the same time, I am not made of money.

And along that line, I am wondering if it is better to just buy the shoes from him this time in case there's a problem (though he told me yesterday that the ones I tried fit me perfectly)?

Kay S on 4/01/01 at 13:07 (043246)

Nancy
I don't think Sam's will take them back without that plastic thing holding them together, but maybe calling and asking would be the safest thing to do. Someone at the service desk should know. Since they are not a shoe store, my guess is they will seem 'worn' if you do actually wear them around the house for a week.
I wore the ones I bought to a concert last night and again today to church, and by the time I got home, I knew I'd had enough of them for awhile. I am not terribly sore from them, but you always know when your feet have had enough of something new. I still think they are going to work out well for me, though. My feet are so long and skinny that I can't say they are attractive, but at least I could pull the tab over enough to make them fit tight. I usually wear a 9 1/2 slim, but I bought a 'women's 8' in these and they seem to fit right. Maybe if I had a wider foot I'd need my regular size.
I had a long skirt on with them, and when I looked in a full length mirror, I have to say my legs looked like two strings hanging out the bottom. Skinny feet, skinny ankles, skinny legs. But I stood for all the songs, etc. so I just don't care how it looked. I'm going to continue to break them in and hope that they will feel more and more comfortable.
If I could get into that German birk site to order, I would have done it a long time ago, but I have had so much trouble with it that I gave up. I'm going to buy some original birks one of these days, but I still think my 40 bucks was well-spent. At least for the moment.
Best regards,
Kay

Lori E. on 4/01/01 at 14:19 (043256)

I am glad the Betulas worked for you! I had to take mine back to Herberger's where I got them on sale.
I agree about needing to get fitted for your first pair, and maybe it is better buying the those first ones or a new style locally. But IMHO, once you know what works for you, save a little money. All of these shoes are expensive, if not in money also in the time spent returning the ones that don't work.
Thanks for the nomination. ;} I think I know so much about shoes because I still haven't found quite the right ones for me. I get close, but nothing has been just right yet. So I go out and try another pair, and another pair, and another pair....

Re: www.birkenstock-cn.com

Julie on 4/01/01 at 14:23 (043259)

Kay, the birkenstock-cn site isa apparently accessible only with Internet Explorer. They have been declaring 'bugs with Netscape' for several months. Have you got or can you download IE? It's a great site, and worth persevering with.

Nancy N on 4/01/01 at 15:14 (043266)

Kay--

I only have Netscape on my computer at home (and refuse to install the enormous IE over my verrryyy slow modem), but I have been able to browse using Netscape. I do get strange messages from time to time, though, so I would never use Netscape to order anything, for fear that something would be messed up in the ordering process. If I order anything, I'll do it from work, where I can use IE. You might want to see if it makes a difference for you.

Lori E. on 3/31/01 at 18:01 (043167)

Nancy,
I have ordered several pairs from that site. Shipping is generally around $15 for airmail. It takes about 3 weeks to get them that way. If you ship regular mail( which I've never done,) it will take about 2-3 months to get your shoes. I don't think they don't give you a deal on ship either, if I remember correctly. Even with the extra cost of shipping it is worth it to buy your birks from that site if you are looking to save money.

john h on 3/31/01 at 18:16 (043168)

I was in a 'Sams' store today and they had a large selection of Petulas made by Birkenstock. I see them on the German site also. They look just like regular Birks to me particularly the Airizona model. They were $34 at sams. Anyone know what difference there is? the footbed looks exactly the same.

Lori E. on 3/31/01 at 19:46 (043184)

I have tried the Betulas, the are NOT the same as regular birks. They look the same, which is why I tried them, but boy, did they hurt my feet.
I recommend to anyone who is ordering from the German site to go to a Birk store where they have lots of different styles, try them all on find out the kind of Birk that works for you and the size and then order from the birks site. Returning to Germany is a pain, I have done it, and if you have PF then you know that those lines at the post office are murder.

Nancy N on 3/31/01 at 20:52 (043187)

Lori--

Any idea what the difference is between the Betulas and everything else? I was on my way out to Sams when I saw John's message, so I looked for them and bought a pair. I wasn't sure if I should do that or not, but as long as I don't wear them, I can return them, so I figured I'd get them while they actually had something in my (huge) size. I'll also call the guy who had me trying different shoes on today and see what he has to say, but I'd love some info from anyone who's tried them.

Lori E. on 3/31/01 at 22:02 (043188)

Nancy,
I don't really know what the exact difference was, just that the foot bed was different and it hurt my feet.
If you haven't tried them, it's worth a shot at that price. Wear them around the house for a week and see if they work for you.

Kay S on 3/31/01 at 22:20 (043189)

I bought the Birks at Sam's that John is talking about and wore them tonight for the first time and they are great!
Kay

Kay S on 3/31/01 at 22:26 (043190)

I nominate Lori and Beverly as the board's SHOE QUEENS. Honestly, you two have more information about shoes than Imelda!!!
Kay

john h on 4/01/01 at 12:13 (043230)

wear them around the house nancy to see if they work for you. you can still return them (use socks).

Nancy N on 4/01/01 at 12:16 (043231)

John--

This is what I was thinking, too, except that they are tied together with that plastic tie they use (like if you buy shoes at K-Mart and they don't want you to take one without the other!). Do you think they'd still take them back if I cut the tie to try them out?

Nancy N on 4/01/01 at 12:23 (043234)

To make sure that they are the right size? I really like the pedorthodude that I found, and he has already got me in a much better pair of sneakers than what I was wearing before. He says my feet are the same size and shape that his are, and the sneakers he sold me are actually men's sneakers (Jeez, I always knew I had big feet, but good grief...). So I do feel sort of guilty buying the Birks elsewhere and then asking him to look at them if I have any trouble with them. Do you think it would be a bad thing if I went in with Birks I ordered online? I don't want to rip anybody off, be it in terms of time or money. But at the same time, I am not made of money.

And along that line, I am wondering if it is better to just buy the shoes from him this time in case there's a problem (though he told me yesterday that the ones I tried fit me perfectly)?

Kay S on 4/01/01 at 13:07 (043246)

Nancy
I don't think Sam's will take them back without that plastic thing holding them together, but maybe calling and asking would be the safest thing to do. Someone at the service desk should know. Since they are not a shoe store, my guess is they will seem 'worn' if you do actually wear them around the house for a week.
I wore the ones I bought to a concert last night and again today to church, and by the time I got home, I knew I'd had enough of them for awhile. I am not terribly sore from them, but you always know when your feet have had enough of something new. I still think they are going to work out well for me, though. My feet are so long and skinny that I can't say they are attractive, but at least I could pull the tab over enough to make them fit tight. I usually wear a 9 1/2 slim, but I bought a 'women's 8' in these and they seem to fit right. Maybe if I had a wider foot I'd need my regular size.
I had a long skirt on with them, and when I looked in a full length mirror, I have to say my legs looked like two strings hanging out the bottom. Skinny feet, skinny ankles, skinny legs. But I stood for all the songs, etc. so I just don't care how it looked. I'm going to continue to break them in and hope that they will feel more and more comfortable.
If I could get into that German birk site to order, I would have done it a long time ago, but I have had so much trouble with it that I gave up. I'm going to buy some original birks one of these days, but I still think my 40 bucks was well-spent. At least for the moment.
Best regards,
Kay

Lori E. on 4/01/01 at 14:19 (043256)

I am glad the Betulas worked for you! I had to take mine back to Herberger's where I got them on sale.
I agree about needing to get fitted for your first pair, and maybe it is better buying the those first ones or a new style locally. But IMHO, once you know what works for you, save a little money. All of these shoes are expensive, if not in money also in the time spent returning the ones that don't work.
Thanks for the nomination. ;} I think I know so much about shoes because I still haven't found quite the right ones for me. I get close, but nothing has been just right yet. So I go out and try another pair, and another pair, and another pair....

Julie on 4/01/01 at 14:23 (043259)

Kay, the birkenstock-cn site isa apparently accessible only with Internet Explorer. They have been declaring 'bugs with Netscape' for several months. Have you got or can you download IE? It's a great site, and worth persevering with.

Nancy N on 4/01/01 at 15:14 (043266)

Kay--

I only have Netscape on my computer at home (and refuse to install the enormous IE over my verrryyy slow modem), but I have been able to browse using Netscape. I do get strange messages from time to time, though, so I would never use Netscape to order anything, for fear that something would be messed up in the ordering process. If I order anything, I'll do it from work, where I can use IE. You might want to see if it makes a difference for you.