Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re-occuring heel pain.

Posted by Staci P on 3/31/01 at hrmin (043191)

I have been on this board in the past and Dr. Z you said that I might have chronic heel pain. Thursday I went back to my foot doctor and she gave me another crotizone shot but at higher dose ( This is my 3rd shot in the same foot in the last 6 months). It has been two days and I my pain is worse than before the shot. I don't know if when she gave the shot that she hit a muscle or not but I can barley walk! I have been keeping ice on it and that helps. I also got casted for Berinkenstocks, which I hope will help. My question is that in the last posting you suggeted me looking into the ESWT. I have read some of the material on this web site and do you reccommed this procedure for overweight people? If not, why? I mean there are obivous reasons but is the a higher risk for overweight people? Also, it is normal for my skin to turn red (like a sunburn) after the shots? right now it is like I have been sitting in the sun for hours. My face and arms are very red and hot.

If this shot and the beirinstocks don't help what do you suggest I do? Do you know of any good foot dr's in the Northwest Arkansas area?

Re: re-occuring heel pain.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/01/01 at 13:04 (043244)

Hi,

Steriod injections can cause alot of pain in some patients. This is what is called a post=steriod flare. Ice is very important to help this resolve.
If after two days no relief go to hot soaks.

Overweight is a factor in the treatment of pf. Some doctors feel that being over weight makes both ESWT and heel spur surgery less effective.

With regard to ESWT, even if it is a factor that reduces the positive effectness it still is a treatment choice and is much better then foot surgery.

I don't know any doctors from your state. There are alot of people from Arkansas that if you ask will help you to find a doctor. I know that John H is from this state and every helpful

Re: re-occuring heel pain.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/01/01 at 13:04 (043244)

Hi,

Steriod injections can cause alot of pain in some patients. This is what is called a post=steriod flare. Ice is very important to help this resolve.
If after two days no relief go to hot soaks.

Overweight is a factor in the treatment of pf. Some doctors feel that being over weight makes both ESWT and heel spur surgery less effective.

With regard to ESWT, even if it is a factor that reduces the positive effectness it still is a treatment choice and is much better then foot surgery.

I don't know any doctors from your state. There are alot of people from Arkansas that if you ask will help you to find a doctor. I know that John H is from this state and every helpful