Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can't log onto social board. Freezes up. Anyone else?

Posted by Beverly on 3/31/01 at 23:15 (043195)

For the past two nights, I have not been able to log onto the social/support board. I can see the board, but I can't open posts. Infact, my entire screen freezes up and I end up having to unplug my computer and restart.
Is anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Two Suggestions...

Kim B. on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043199)

No Beverly, I'm not having that problem. Have you tried restarting your machine to free up some of your RAM lately? My other suggestion is to ask Nancy N. She is a computer wiz. She'll probably know what it is.

Hope you figure it out.

Kim B.

Nancy N on 4/01/01 at 09:49 (043213)

Sorry, not that much of a wiz :) My only thought is to try reconnecting to your ISP. Otherwise, this sounds like a question for Scott to me, Bev. I hope he can help you figure out what the problem is.

john h on 4/01/01 at 12:10 (043229)

what kind of computer do you have beverly? how much RAM? if you have a MAC you should rebuild your desktop and defragment your hard drive. Regardless of which computer you are using you may have an extension conflict. Other possibilities are to reload Explorer or Netscape (which ever your are using) on to your computer as your preferences may have gotten screwed up.

Re: I have an i-mac

Beverly on 4/01/01 at 14:05 (043252)

Thanks guys, for trying to help. I have an i-mac. I think I have 64 mg. of ram. I know next to nothing about my hardware. I spend all of my working life in Word and Pagemaker. Beyond that, I am a computer nitwit!

How do I rebuild my Mac desktop? I've had lessons in it, but I can't remember? Everyone else's suggestions sound good and worth trying but over my head. If I can't figure this out, I'll see if I can get a computer repair person. The odd thing is that I have no problem getting anywhere else on this message board. I can go to all the other sites, and I'm having no problems surfing to other internet sites. It's just our social board that is freezing up for me!
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Magic, magic! It's working now!

Beverly on 4/01/01 at 14:33 (043261)

Hey, I just gave the social board one more try. It's working now. I could read all the posts (though given the latest topic, it doesn't look like I missed much!)

So, the old nongeek, unplug, hope, and pray solution finally worked!
This works better with a computer than it does with my car. When I hear a funny noise, my best solution is to turn up the radio and hope it goes away!
Thanks,
Beverly

john h on 4/01/01 at 19:09 (043280)

here is how to rebuild your desktope on the IMAC: Holdown the 'command' and 'option ' keys at startup or while hitting the Restart under the 'Special' toolbar. Do not let go of the keys until after you see the Happy Face. The desktop will then rebuild itself.

Also run 'Disk Doctor' which you will find in your Utilites Folder.

Are you using Internet Explorer,Netscape, or AOL to access the board?

go to http://www.micromat.com and download the free download 'TechTool'. You can use it thereafter to rebuild your desktop and checkout certain functions on your MAC. What operating system are your using 8.0,8.5,9.0? If none of the above work let me know and i will tell you about a few more complicated things you can do. I really think you have what is know as an Extension Conflict but try those things first.

john h on 4/01/01 at 19:11 (043281)

rebuild your desktop anyway. it is good prevenative maintenance and should be done once a month.

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 10:03 (043312)

John, I agree with you--TechTool is well worth the download. I use it on the Macs here at work and it has been a tremendous help. Does a much cleaner desktop rebuild (or PRAM reset) than via Apple's keystroke commands. (I feel guilty for posting tech stuff on the treatments board, so I'll stop now!)

Re: Thanks, I don't see "command" key

Beverly on 4/02/01 at 12:16 (043326)

John and Nancy,
Thanks but I don't see a 'command' key. I see a 'control' key and a key next to the option key that looks like a square with curley cues on each edge of the square. Is that the command key?
As you can see, I don't know zip about my hardware.
Thanks,
Beverly

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043332)

Bev--

The command key is the key with the squiggles. It also has what's called an 'open apple' on it (i.e., the apple is just an outline).

TechTool works really really well for rebuilding the desktop. I would recommend downloading it from the site John mentioned and using that instead. I think it's pretty user friendly (haven't needed it in a while, so I haven't seen what the newest version looks like), so you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Feel free to send me an email if you need anything else. I don't have a Mac at home (yet!) but I do have them at work, so I can check my facts/keys/software here before giving you instructions. You might also want to look at a place like CompUSA and see what iMac books are available. I know there are some, but I don't remember their names (maybe look on Amazon if a trip to CompUSA isn't an option for you right now). They should give you the basics about how things work and how to do some basic troubleshooting.

Julie on 4/02/01 at 17:15 (043360)

No no, Nancy! Don't feel guilty. Thanks very much and John too for this useful information. I'm printing it out for when I need it. I never knew about rebuilding the desk top.

Re: Thanks

Beverly on 4/02/01 at 17:54 (043371)

Thanks, Nancy. I suspected the squiggles was the command key. I think even my limited tech skills will be able to manage rebuilding the desktop. It is embarrassing to be so tech illiterate. I just don't have any 'structural vision.' Bad at puzzles, math, ect.
Beverly

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 18:01 (043373)

OK, I imagine you're right--it's not hard to rebuild the desktop, especially the Apple way. TechTool will do a more thorough job, though. Anyway, I hope the troubles are over and that you're in for smooth sailing from now on. You might still want to order an iMac book, though, if you feel totally stumped by the hardware. Most things aren't hard to do--once you know how to do them :) If you need any more help, whenever, the offer still stands.

john h on 4/03/01 at 09:35 (043423)

an excellent book is 'I Mac For Dummies'. Do not be deceived by its title it is very good.

Kim B. on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043199)

No Beverly, I'm not having that problem. Have you tried restarting your machine to free up some of your RAM lately? My other suggestion is to ask Nancy N. She is a computer wiz. She'll probably know what it is.

Hope you figure it out.

Kim B.

Nancy N on 4/01/01 at 09:49 (043213)

Sorry, not that much of a wiz :) My only thought is to try reconnecting to your ISP. Otherwise, this sounds like a question for Scott to me, Bev. I hope he can help you figure out what the problem is.

john h on 4/01/01 at 12:10 (043229)

what kind of computer do you have beverly? how much RAM? if you have a MAC you should rebuild your desktop and defragment your hard drive. Regardless of which computer you are using you may have an extension conflict. Other possibilities are to reload Explorer or Netscape (which ever your are using) on to your computer as your preferences may have gotten screwed up.

Re: I have an i-mac

Beverly on 4/01/01 at 14:05 (043252)

Thanks guys, for trying to help. I have an i-mac. I think I have 64 mg. of ram. I know next to nothing about my hardware. I spend all of my working life in Word and Pagemaker. Beyond that, I am a computer nitwit!

How do I rebuild my Mac desktop? I've had lessons in it, but I can't remember? Everyone else's suggestions sound good and worth trying but over my head. If I can't figure this out, I'll see if I can get a computer repair person. The odd thing is that I have no problem getting anywhere else on this message board. I can go to all the other sites, and I'm having no problems surfing to other internet sites. It's just our social board that is freezing up for me!
Thanks,
Beverly

Beverly on 4/01/01 at 14:33 (043261)

Hey, I just gave the social board one more try. It's working now. I could read all the posts (though given the latest topic, it doesn't look like I missed much!)

So, the old nongeek, unplug, hope, and pray solution finally worked!
This works better with a computer than it does with my car. When I hear a funny noise, my best solution is to turn up the radio and hope it goes away!
Thanks,
Beverly

john h on 4/01/01 at 19:09 (043280)

here is how to rebuild your desktope on the IMAC: Holdown the 'command' and 'option ' keys at startup or while hitting the Restart under the 'Special' toolbar. Do not let go of the keys until after you see the Happy Face. The desktop will then rebuild itself.

Also run 'Disk Doctor' which you will find in your Utilites Folder.

Are you using Internet Explorer,Netscape, or AOL to access the board?

go to http://www.micromat.com and download the free download 'TechTool'. You can use it thereafter to rebuild your desktop and checkout certain functions on your MAC. What operating system are your using 8.0,8.5,9.0? If none of the above work let me know and i will tell you about a few more complicated things you can do. I really think you have what is know as an Extension Conflict but try those things first.

john h on 4/01/01 at 19:11 (043281)

rebuild your desktop anyway. it is good prevenative maintenance and should be done once a month.

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 10:03 (043312)

John, I agree with you--TechTool is well worth the download. I use it on the Macs here at work and it has been a tremendous help. Does a much cleaner desktop rebuild (or PRAM reset) than via Apple's keystroke commands. (I feel guilty for posting tech stuff on the treatments board, so I'll stop now!)

Beverly on 4/02/01 at 12:16 (043326)

John and Nancy,
Thanks but I don't see a 'command' key. I see a 'control' key and a key next to the option key that looks like a square with curley cues on each edge of the square. Is that the command key?
As you can see, I don't know zip about my hardware.
Thanks,
Beverly

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043332)

Bev--

The command key is the key with the squiggles. It also has what's called an 'open apple' on it (i.e., the apple is just an outline).

TechTool works really really well for rebuilding the desktop. I would recommend downloading it from the site John mentioned and using that instead. I think it's pretty user friendly (haven't needed it in a while, so I haven't seen what the newest version looks like), so you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Feel free to send me an email if you need anything else. I don't have a Mac at home (yet!) but I do have them at work, so I can check my facts/keys/software here before giving you instructions. You might also want to look at a place like CompUSA and see what iMac books are available. I know there are some, but I don't remember their names (maybe look on Amazon if a trip to CompUSA isn't an option for you right now). They should give you the basics about how things work and how to do some basic troubleshooting.

Julie on 4/02/01 at 17:15 (043360)

No no, Nancy! Don't feel guilty. Thanks very much and John too for this useful information. I'm printing it out for when I need it. I never knew about rebuilding the desk top.

Beverly on 4/02/01 at 17:54 (043371)

Thanks, Nancy. I suspected the squiggles was the command key. I think even my limited tech skills will be able to manage rebuilding the desktop. It is embarrassing to be so tech illiterate. I just don't have any 'structural vision.' Bad at puzzles, math, ect.
Beverly

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 18:01 (043373)

OK, I imagine you're right--it's not hard to rebuild the desktop, especially the Apple way. TechTool will do a more thorough job, though. Anyway, I hope the troubles are over and that you're in for smooth sailing from now on. You might still want to order an iMac book, though, if you feel totally stumped by the hardware. Most things aren't hard to do--once you know how to do them :) If you need any more help, whenever, the offer still stands.

john h on 4/03/01 at 09:35 (043423)

an excellent book is 'I Mac For Dummies'. Do not be deceived by its title it is very good.