Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Medicine that is helping me

Posted by Fran W on 4/01/01 at 00:19 (043197)

It has been 10 months since my surgery of TTS on both feet and until two days ago I was miserable with pain. I had the burning, numbness, tightness, cold, cramping, you name it I felt it. Searching the internet I csme across an article about a man who had terrible burning in his feet and started on Effexor(an anti depressant). His pain disappeared within 5 days. I talked with my doctor 3 days ago and she gave me some samples to try. I take 1 before bedtime. 2 Ultram for pain and I have to tell you I am pain free all day. I do take neurontin 300mgs 3 times a day. Whether its the combination of everything I don't care because I'm so happy I don't have pain. The numbness is still there but I can live with that. I wanted to share this with you because I keep reading about everyone in such pain it might be worth a try. I would be happy to discuss this with anyone who is interested. Good luck to all,

Re: Medicine that is helping me

Jen on 4/01/01 at 09:19 (043209)

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. Would you say the pain was worse after your surgery? How long did you have TTS before surgery?

Jen

Amy L on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043308)

it is interesting that you mention ultram. I have tried ultram but it made me feel weak, tired, and so exhausted that I feel very sick to my stomache. so tell me more about this Effexor. I have tried neurontin but it really did not help. So you are depressed too? Tell me about it.
Please write back on any other medications that help you with TTS pain and overall, general foot pain.
Thanks

Lynda S. on 4/02/01 at 17:48 (043370)

Fran:

I suffer from PF and take medicines similar to yours. I take Nortriptyline (an antidepressant) before bed, one 300 mg Neurontin, and Ultram as needed during the day. This combination helps me a lot.

Fran W on 4/02/01 at 21:21 (043376)

Yes, my pain was worse after surgery and kept getting worse. I had pain for about 2 years before I finally went for surgery.

Fran W on 4/02/01 at 21:31 (043378)

I only take Ultram at night before I go to sleep. That is also when I take Effexor. I take 300mgs of Neurontin 3 times a day after each meal. I am still in the process of getting my body adjusted to this medicine and I have to admit I feel a little 'fuzzy'. I'm giving it time because I am so happy to not have the pain I was having 24/7. Effexor is an antidepressant, I was told it is the poor mans Prozac. I was not depressed when I started and I'm not depressed now. I have always had a very high tolerance for pain but I just could not continue with this type of pain and decided to go with this medicine which I was trying to avoid. I have not had any side effects other than this light headedness but I am told this will subside soon. Hope I have answered your questions. If I can help in any other way please write. I know how much everyone is suffering.

Fran W. on 4/02/01 at 21:34 (043379)

Glad you are doing well with your medicine. Are you going to have surgery for PF?

Lynda S on 4/06/01 at 18:34 (043869)

I have already had two failed surgeries. One EPF and the other the traditional open one. That's why we have settled on medicine.

Jen on 4/01/01 at 09:19 (043209)

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. Would you say the pain was worse after your surgery? How long did you have TTS before surgery?

Jen

Amy L on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043308)

it is interesting that you mention ultram. I have tried ultram but it made me feel weak, tired, and so exhausted that I feel very sick to my stomache. so tell me more about this Effexor. I have tried neurontin but it really did not help. So you are depressed too? Tell me about it.
Please write back on any other medications that help you with TTS pain and overall, general foot pain.
Thanks

Lynda S. on 4/02/01 at 17:48 (043370)

Fran:

I suffer from PF and take medicines similar to yours. I take Nortriptyline (an antidepressant) before bed, one 300 mg Neurontin, and Ultram as needed during the day. This combination helps me a lot.

Fran W on 4/02/01 at 21:21 (043376)

Yes, my pain was worse after surgery and kept getting worse. I had pain for about 2 years before I finally went for surgery.

Fran W on 4/02/01 at 21:31 (043378)

I only take Ultram at night before I go to sleep. That is also when I take Effexor. I take 300mgs of Neurontin 3 times a day after each meal. I am still in the process of getting my body adjusted to this medicine and I have to admit I feel a little 'fuzzy'. I'm giving it time because I am so happy to not have the pain I was having 24/7. Effexor is an antidepressant, I was told it is the poor mans Prozac. I was not depressed when I started and I'm not depressed now. I have always had a very high tolerance for pain but I just could not continue with this type of pain and decided to go with this medicine which I was trying to avoid. I have not had any side effects other than this light headedness but I am told this will subside soon. Hope I have answered your questions. If I can help in any other way please write. I know how much everyone is suffering.

Fran W. on 4/02/01 at 21:34 (043379)

Glad you are doing well with your medicine. Are you going to have surgery for PF?

Lynda S on 4/06/01 at 18:34 (043869)

I have already had two failed surgeries. One EPF and the other the traditional open one. That's why we have settled on medicine.