Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Haglund's Disease and PF

Posted by Cef R on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043204)

I have developed large bony bumps on my heel that I think is 'Haglund's Disease'. I believe the bumps were caused by wearing golf shoes that lost the padding behind the heel. Before, it was mostly the bump behind the heel that had pain, but most recently, I've also been experiencing severe pains on my heel as well. I used to play basketball twice a week, but lately I have not been able to do any sports activity (even golf) due to the pain in my heel area. I have read most of the articles in this web site and am trying several of the treatments suggested. Adding heel pads to increase my arch support and stretching in the morning has helped. I also had Cortisone shots most recently and the pain went away 100% for the first 3 days (since the shots).

My question is this, is Haglund's Disease a factor in causing pain related to PF? If so, would knowing that I have Haglund's Disease diagnose my condition better? And what specific treatments should I do to improve or remove the pain? I would like to continue to play basketball as soon as I can. Thank you in advance for your time in replying to my questions. I also would like to thank and commend the creator and contributors that provide the helpful information posted in heelspurs.com.

Re: Haglund's Disease and PF

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/01/01 at 12:59 (043243)

Hi,

The haglunds deformity isn't part of the plantar fascia pain problem . It is separate. The haglund's deformity can be do to the way your foot and lower extremity is functioning when you walk. So yes it is important to tell your doctor so that he can make sure to do a biomechanical evaluation and gait analysis. Many time excessive pronation is contributing to both the haglund's and the plantar fasciitis.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/02/01 at 15:31 (043348)

The 'bumps' on the back of your heels may be 'Haglund's' disease or may be from spurring at the posterior (back) of your heel bone. This can occur from chronic pulling of the Achilles tendon. The relief that you have received with the use of heel lifts indicates that tightness of the Achilles tendon is probably contributing to your discomfort. The heel lift raises the foot and decreases the pull of the Achilles and provides some relief. If this is the case, it can definitely be related to plantar fascia pain. If the Achilles tendon is tight, it will certainly cause tightness and pulling of the plantar fascia. In summary, not all lumps or bumps at the back of the heel are from Haglund's deformity. If the bump is from a spur formation at the back of the heel, it would indicate tightness of the Achilles tendon, which definitely plays a role in developing plantar fasciits.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/01/01 at 12:59 (043243)

Hi,

The haglunds deformity isn't part of the plantar fascia pain problem . It is separate. The haglund's deformity can be do to the way your foot and lower extremity is functioning when you walk. So yes it is important to tell your doctor so that he can make sure to do a biomechanical evaluation and gait analysis. Many time excessive pronation is contributing to both the haglund's and the plantar fasciitis.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/02/01 at 15:31 (043348)

The 'bumps' on the back of your heels may be 'Haglund's' disease or may be from spurring at the posterior (back) of your heel bone. This can occur from chronic pulling of the Achilles tendon. The relief that you have received with the use of heel lifts indicates that tightness of the Achilles tendon is probably contributing to your discomfort. The heel lift raises the foot and decreases the pull of the Achilles and provides some relief. If this is the case, it can definitely be related to plantar fascia pain. If the Achilles tendon is tight, it will certainly cause tightness and pulling of the plantar fascia. In summary, not all lumps or bumps at the back of the heel are from Haglund's deformity. If the bump is from a spur formation at the back of the heel, it would indicate tightness of the Achilles tendon, which definitely plays a role in developing plantar fasciits.