Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am new to all of this TTS

Posted by Pat B on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043218)

I am a 38 year old who was just recently diagnosed with TTS and just recently had to one bone spur on the top of my foot removed and a heel spur removed at the same time. The surgery was about 5 weeks ago. I feel like it was a useless surgery because of my pain still being here and not much changed. Anyone else feel this way? I work mostly on my feet and get real sore from doing so. I have had pain since about July 2000. I am going through physical therapy for 3 weeks to see if it helps. Sometimes I feel some relief when I wear my tennis shoes with a heel pad and a work/sport insole. Barefoot hurts real bad in the arch. I discovered through Physical Therapy that I have hardly any range of motion in my ankle. Is this common? The doc has talked about surgery for me. I really can't afford to take time off of work. How long has everyone been off of work with this surgery. My doc says I will be in a cast for about 4 weeks. It is amazing how scared, mad, confused and depressed a person can get.

Re: I am new to all of this TTS

AJ on 4/01/01 at 17:09 (043273)

I took 2 1/2 weeks off of work to recover from the Tarsal Tunnel surgery. I was in a cast, then cam walker for close to a total of a month and a half.
I hope this helps. Also, I hope you feel better and everybody else on this board as well!

Re: to: AJ, has surgery helped you?

rekha on 4/01/01 at 22:49 (043293)

AJ: has surgery helped your tts?

P Helm on 4/02/01 at 09:02 (043306)

I feel for you . It is depressing and confusing. I was only in my cast 10 days and I was walking the day after that. It has been a month after the surgery and I am still a little swollen. I have seen where people have used walking casts but I didn't have one.
A couple years ago I had PT and my range of motion wasn't very good either. Is your Dr. giving you anything for pain?

AJ on 4/02/01 at 11:30 (043319)

Yes, I no longer have 'burning' type foot pain or numbness.

Scott2 on 4/02/01 at 11:36 (043321)

Pat,

There is no guarantee that surgery will cure your ailment, but I do know that if you are always on your feet, then the chances of being cured are almost nil.

I was training for a marathon when my pain started and it got real bad even after I stopped running. I went through numerous non-surgical treatments and nothing worked. This went on for over a year. I was finally diagnosed with TTS and had surgery on 2/16/01 along with a plantar fascia release.

Was I mad? You bet. Before the injury, I could run, hike, play basketball, cycle, and go for walks on the beach. Now it was wondering which shoe to wear that would cause the least amount of pain.

It has been six weeks and while successful surgery to me will be if I can run again (ok I'll take walking without pain) is still off, I would say at this point I am better off than before surgery. I still have pain in the heel and my other foot took a beating from bearing all of my weight - and I haven't missed too many meals in my days.

I know it is really hard with insurance especially if you have an HMO, but find the best doctor in your area. Ask around. Get second opinions and do all the research you can. Again, even if you do not need surgery, I feel safe in saying that you have to give your foot rest (that means staying off it as much as possible) if it is going to get better.

It is an awful state to be in I know and so do all the others reading this. Oh, just to be able to stand for 30 seconds without pain - to walk without having to think, 'Is this going to hurt?' Something we have done since we were toddlers without requiring conscious thought now becomes a constant occupant in our minds. I wake each morning and my first notion is how is my foot going to be today?

It may seem out of the question to do surgery due to lifestyle, insurance, finances, etc., but if you are not well and cannot walk without pain, then many other parts of your life take a back seat to getting healthy.

You have a right to get scared mad, confused and depressed - it's normal. But then you also have a right to focus your energy on doing what it takes to get better. Hang in there. When you commit to doing what it takes to get better, then you already have started the road to recovery.

wendyn on 4/02/01 at 13:58 (043337)

Pat - avoid going barefoot...this will only aggravate your problem. Are you wearing orthotics and what types of tests have you had done since August of last year?

Chad H on 4/02/01 at 15:04 (043346)

Pat,

I have had TTS for 5 years and I have almost zero range of motion in my ankle, especially side to side and rolling.

Everyone seems to have a very different experience with TTS, you can see that very quickly as you read each person's experience. Take it slow and evaluate your options.

Good luck, and use this board for information and support.

Jen on 4/02/01 at 17:17 (043361)

Thank you for your comments. It helped me alot today, becuase I've been feeling everything you wrote. I'm having surgery next month and I'm petrified. But, if it means walking again, without 'having to think about it' and enjoy life, I'll try it. Why not, I've tried everything else right? I ran the Boston marathon in '98 and I haven't been the same since. I also miss being active and it's very depressive. I try to stay hopeful. Good luck to all
Jen

chris on 4/03/01 at 11:47 (043434)

Wow Scott2...you hit the nail on the head...I remember starting my day with all those exact thoughts, how much is my foot going to hurt when i get out of this bed, will i be able to walk, which shoes will hurt the least...

Pat B on 4/03/01 at 21:19 (043522)

I have work/sport insoles that seem to help some in my tennis shoes. I have tried Special shoes but could not wear them due to bone spurs rubbing. I have a scar that is still healing and sensitive on the top of my foot as well from one of the spurs that was removed . At present, I believe shoes are really a no win situation especially in wet snowy Wisconsin. If my feet get cold, they become very painful.

AJ on 4/01/01 at 17:09 (043273)

I took 2 1/2 weeks off of work to recover from the Tarsal Tunnel surgery. I was in a cast, then cam walker for close to a total of a month and a half.
I hope this helps. Also, I hope you feel better and everybody else on this board as well!

rekha on 4/01/01 at 22:49 (043293)

AJ: has surgery helped your tts?

P Helm on 4/02/01 at 09:02 (043306)

I feel for you . It is depressing and confusing. I was only in my cast 10 days and I was walking the day after that. It has been a month after the surgery and I am still a little swollen. I have seen where people have used walking casts but I didn't have one.
A couple years ago I had PT and my range of motion wasn't very good either. Is your Dr. giving you anything for pain?

AJ on 4/02/01 at 11:30 (043319)

Yes, I no longer have 'burning' type foot pain or numbness.

Scott2 on 4/02/01 at 11:36 (043321)

Pat,

There is no guarantee that surgery will cure your ailment, but I do know that if you are always on your feet, then the chances of being cured are almost nil.

I was training for a marathon when my pain started and it got real bad even after I stopped running. I went through numerous non-surgical treatments and nothing worked. This went on for over a year. I was finally diagnosed with TTS and had surgery on 2/16/01 along with a plantar fascia release.

Was I mad? You bet. Before the injury, I could run, hike, play basketball, cycle, and go for walks on the beach. Now it was wondering which shoe to wear that would cause the least amount of pain.

It has been six weeks and while successful surgery to me will be if I can run again (ok I'll take walking without pain) is still off, I would say at this point I am better off than before surgery. I still have pain in the heel and my other foot took a beating from bearing all of my weight - and I haven't missed too many meals in my days.

I know it is really hard with insurance especially if you have an HMO, but find the best doctor in your area. Ask around. Get second opinions and do all the research you can. Again, even if you do not need surgery, I feel safe in saying that you have to give your foot rest (that means staying off it as much as possible) if it is going to get better.

It is an awful state to be in I know and so do all the others reading this. Oh, just to be able to stand for 30 seconds without pain - to walk without having to think, 'Is this going to hurt?' Something we have done since we were toddlers without requiring conscious thought now becomes a constant occupant in our minds. I wake each morning and my first notion is how is my foot going to be today?

It may seem out of the question to do surgery due to lifestyle, insurance, finances, etc., but if you are not well and cannot walk without pain, then many other parts of your life take a back seat to getting healthy.

You have a right to get scared mad, confused and depressed - it's normal. But then you also have a right to focus your energy on doing what it takes to get better. Hang in there. When you commit to doing what it takes to get better, then you already have started the road to recovery.

wendyn on 4/02/01 at 13:58 (043337)

Pat - avoid going barefoot...this will only aggravate your problem. Are you wearing orthotics and what types of tests have you had done since August of last year?

Chad H on 4/02/01 at 15:04 (043346)

Pat,

I have had TTS for 5 years and I have almost zero range of motion in my ankle, especially side to side and rolling.

Everyone seems to have a very different experience with TTS, you can see that very quickly as you read each person's experience. Take it slow and evaluate your options.

Good luck, and use this board for information and support.

Jen on 4/02/01 at 17:17 (043361)

Thank you for your comments. It helped me alot today, becuase I've been feeling everything you wrote. I'm having surgery next month and I'm petrified. But, if it means walking again, without 'having to think about it' and enjoy life, I'll try it. Why not, I've tried everything else right? I ran the Boston marathon in '98 and I haven't been the same since. I also miss being active and it's very depressive. I try to stay hopeful. Good luck to all
Jen

chris on 4/03/01 at 11:47 (043434)

Wow Scott2...you hit the nail on the head...I remember starting my day with all those exact thoughts, how much is my foot going to hurt when i get out of this bed, will i be able to walk, which shoes will hurt the least...

Pat B on 4/03/01 at 21:19 (043522)

I have work/sport insoles that seem to help some in my tennis shoes. I have tried Special shoes but could not wear them due to bone spurs rubbing. I have a scar that is still healing and sensitive on the top of my foot as well from one of the spurs that was removed . At present, I believe shoes are really a no win situation especially in wet snowy Wisconsin. If my feet get cold, they become very painful.