Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'll just keep asking.....

Posted by Dona on 4/01/01 at 11:00 (043221)

I go to the dr on Tuesday, but until then, I hope you don't mind if I keep asking my questions here. There's nothing like first-hand experience.

I've been using the Futuro ankle wrap for support, but I'm just not sure it's working. My ankle feels like it 'freezes up' after I've had it on awhile, and the pain in the heel seems sharper and more intense. There are sharp pains on and off when sitting and I also now have a burning pain on the inside of the arch when I walk. After reading thru information at this site, I realize that this didn't start all at once and it's not going away all at once, but I sure don't want to aggravate anything. It could just be a natural progression of the problem and not have anything to do with the ankle wrap, but the last couple days I've been going without it more than with it, just in case. How do you tell when something is helping (s l o w l y) or when you're just making things worse?

Thanks....Dona

Re: I'll just keep asking.....

Lisa S. on 4/01/01 at 11:52 (043226)

Dona, do you have pf and heel spurs? I do and when I used the Futuro ankle wrap it really made the pain worse and I stopped using it.I have been struggling with this condition since last summer. I am better now but I have learned that it will not go away right away. I really have to work at doing my stretching, anti-inflamatories, icing when needed and wearing the right shoes and not walking barefoot.

Dona on 4/01/01 at 13:22 (043250)

Lisa....what stretching exercises do you do? I had PF before and remember the stretch against the wall, but I feel no stretch in the heel when I do it this time around, and I can bend forward pretty far. I also tried the soup can under the arch, but I feel no stretching there either. Am I supposed to feel the stretch this time around?

As for the *no going barefoot*....really??? Oh my, I rarely wear shoes except at work, and sometimes not even there (preschool). This could be a big Uh-Oh, huh?
Thanks...Dona

Julie on 4/01/01 at 14:19 (043255)

Dona, No Bare Feet is a cardinal rule of PF. If you have PF, your arches have lost support due to the tears in the fascia and they need support all the time. By going without shoes you're delaying your recovery and possibly making your condition worse. See previous posts about this - it really is important.

The moment you swing your feet over the side of the bed in the morning, you should put them into supportive shoes (not floppy slippers). Birkenstocks are liked by many but not by everybody.

Paula G on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043316)

What is the ankle wrap you are talking about? I have used the orthotics and they don't work. night splints do not work. I have found using ace wrap very snug to my ankle and heel works wonders. It gives me support and I can walk only that way.
Of course, with shoes on.

Dona on 4/02/01 at 22:56 (043386)

The Futuro ankle wrap can be found at Walmart (or any other *mart* I imagine, used for sprains or such. It's a one-piece wrap that slides over your foot and fits snugly around the ankle and arch. It's easier than wrapping the entire Ace bandage, but I think it was giving more pain than I had before, so I've put it away for the time being.
Dona

Re: Futuro, and bare feet

Julie on 4/03/01 at 01:50 (043401)

Dona, did you see my post about going barefoot? I hope so, but you didn't respond, and I'm concerned that you didn't know about this. You could not only be delaying your recovery, but worsening matters by not wearing supportive shoes all the time.

Dr Z, I'm puzzled by what Lisa and Dona say about the Futuro ankle support giving them more pain. Under what conditions (anatomical/biomechanical/pathological) would a device that is intended to support actually makes things worse?

Re: Thanks for the info, Dona

Paula G. on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043448)

I will have to get to Walmart and see about that device you are talking about. The futuro. I don't know why wrapping my foot helps, but I could not walk without it...I don't know why it helps with my pain and hurts your feet. I guess because I have pain all over in my foot not just my ankle. It does not take away the heel pain, but helps with the rest.

Dona on 4/03/01 at 17:16 (043476)

Julie...sorry for not responding sooner. I did read your post about the *no barefoot rule*...it actually jogged a long-dormant brain cell. The first podiatrist I saw for a 'frozen toe joint' (for lack of the technical term)told me then I should never go barefoot. It's just too darn easy for me to do...I hate shoes. But the older I get, the more I realize I don't always get things my way. I actually wear my shoes more at home than I ever have, due to the heel cushions relieving some of the pain. I actually had my dr visit today, and I'll post elsewhere about that. I'm looking for some good info on THAT, too. :)
Dona

Julie on 4/03/01 at 17:18 (043478)

Hi Dona, and thanks - that's a relief! Keep shod and you'll surely improve more quickly.

Lisa S. on 4/01/01 at 11:52 (043226)

Dona, do you have pf and heel spurs? I do and when I used the Futuro ankle wrap it really made the pain worse and I stopped using it.I have been struggling with this condition since last summer. I am better now but I have learned that it will not go away right away. I really have to work at doing my stretching, anti-inflamatories, icing when needed and wearing the right shoes and not walking barefoot.

Dona on 4/01/01 at 13:22 (043250)

Lisa....what stretching exercises do you do? I had PF before and remember the stretch against the wall, but I feel no stretch in the heel when I do it this time around, and I can bend forward pretty far. I also tried the soup can under the arch, but I feel no stretching there either. Am I supposed to feel the stretch this time around?

As for the *no going barefoot*....really??? Oh my, I rarely wear shoes except at work, and sometimes not even there (preschool). This could be a big Uh-Oh, huh?
Thanks...Dona

Julie on 4/01/01 at 14:19 (043255)

Dona, No Bare Feet is a cardinal rule of PF. If you have PF, your arches have lost support due to the tears in the fascia and they need support all the time. By going without shoes you're delaying your recovery and possibly making your condition worse. See previous posts about this - it really is important.

The moment you swing your feet over the side of the bed in the morning, you should put them into supportive shoes (not floppy slippers). Birkenstocks are liked by many but not by everybody.

Paula G on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043316)

What is the ankle wrap you are talking about? I have used the orthotics and they don't work. night splints do not work. I have found using ace wrap very snug to my ankle and heel works wonders. It gives me support and I can walk only that way.
Of course, with shoes on.

Dona on 4/02/01 at 22:56 (043386)

The Futuro ankle wrap can be found at Walmart (or any other *mart* I imagine, used for sprains or such. It's a one-piece wrap that slides over your foot and fits snugly around the ankle and arch. It's easier than wrapping the entire Ace bandage, but I think it was giving more pain than I had before, so I've put it away for the time being.
Dona

Julie on 4/03/01 at 01:50 (043401)

Dona, did you see my post about going barefoot? I hope so, but you didn't respond, and I'm concerned that you didn't know about this. You could not only be delaying your recovery, but worsening matters by not wearing supportive shoes all the time.

Dr Z, I'm puzzled by what Lisa and Dona say about the Futuro ankle support giving them more pain. Under what conditions (anatomical/biomechanical/pathological) would a device that is intended to support actually makes things worse?

Re: Thanks for the info, Dona

Paula G. on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043448)

I will have to get to Walmart and see about that device you are talking about. The futuro. I don't know why wrapping my foot helps, but I could not walk without it...I don't know why it helps with my pain and hurts your feet. I guess because I have pain all over in my foot not just my ankle. It does not take away the heel pain, but helps with the rest.

Dona on 4/03/01 at 17:16 (043476)

Julie...sorry for not responding sooner. I did read your post about the *no barefoot rule*...it actually jogged a long-dormant brain cell. The first podiatrist I saw for a 'frozen toe joint' (for lack of the technical term)told me then I should never go barefoot. It's just too darn easy for me to do...I hate shoes. But the older I get, the more I realize I don't always get things my way. I actually wear my shoes more at home than I ever have, due to the heel cushions relieving some of the pain. I actually had my dr visit today, and I'll post elsewhere about that. I'm looking for some good info on THAT, too. :)
Dona

Julie on 4/03/01 at 17:18 (043478)

Hi Dona, and thanks - that's a relief! Keep shod and you'll surely improve more quickly.