Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

possible connection? ~~ and a cortisone question

Posted by Dona on 4/01/01 at 11:12 (043222)

I had an attempted-epidural during the first labor that didn't take on one side. I've since had problems on and off with distortions in feeling on one side of my lower body, from hip to toes...feels tingly or can't stand anything cold touching. I also fell about 6 years ago, roller skating with the Brownie troop. I weighed quite a bit more at the time (about 190) and I landed on my rear hard enough I thought I cracked teeth. I have knee problems that I'm having difficulty getting relief with, and I read here that some of the heel pain can be referred from problems in the spine. I have a feeling of 'swelling' or tightness in my knee and down my lower leg into my ankle, but there's no visible swelling. Now I'm wondering if those things are related. I go to an ortho surgeon on Tuesday for pf/heel spur exam. I've had the pain for about 6 months now, and have recently begun having burning pain on the inside arch when I walk. Any good questions I can ask the dr?

And...I've found there's a podiatrist here that uses ESWT. Are cortisone shots always a pre-treatment to the ESWT? I have a feeling that's what the ortho will suggest first, as he has in the past for my knees. (I passed.. I'm such a wimp for needles.) I also wonder now when shots ARE a good line of defense. How exactly do they make the problem go away, as opposed to just masking the pain til the next shot? Thanks for any info. I just like to know my options before I get to the office, as I get so nervous once I sit down.

Re: possible connection? ~~ and a cortisone question

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/01/01 at 12:56 (043241)

Hi,

Steriod shots are only one option in the treatment for Pf. Steriod shots don't to be done before ESWT. You as a patient have the choice to have or not to have steriod shots. There are many treatments besides steriod shots that can should be offered to you

The most important question is too make sure that the lower back isn't part of or contributing to the pf/heel pain

Re: possible connection? ~~ and a cortisone question

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/01/01 at 12:56 (043241)

Hi,

Steriod shots are only one option in the treatment for Pf. Steriod shots don't to be done before ESWT. You as a patient have the choice to have or not to have steriod shots. There are many treatments besides steriod shots that can should be offered to you

The most important question is too make sure that the lower back isn't part of or contributing to the pf/heel pain