Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ortho's and jogging

Posted by ANDY S on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043271)

I am an avid jogger who has just suffered through plantar fasciatis(currently cured). I now have a pain on the top of my ankle, especially when I just start to jog. My DR. says I suffer from overpronation and recommended spenko inserts. Any suggestions on the best sneakers to use and any other insert brands just for running?

Re: Ortho's and jogging

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 14:15 (043338)

Andy--

I overpronate, too. I don't jog, but I did just get a new pair of New Balance sneakers that are called 'motion control' sneakers. They have what's called a 'rollbar' that helps to keep your foot aligned correctly as you walk (or jog, I would presume).

Mine say T121 on the side, but I am not sure if that is a model number or not. I would try to find a good shoe store and see if you can find something in this category (I believe New Balance is the only company that makes them). Has your doctor said anything about custom orthotics? Those can also help control the motion of your foot when you walk. I got mine (and the shoes) because I am worried about the effects of long-term overpronation on my ankles/knees/hips/back, in addition to the PF pain. You might want to look into both options.

Re: Ortho's and jogging

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 14:15 (043338)

Andy--

I overpronate, too. I don't jog, but I did just get a new pair of New Balance sneakers that are called 'motion control' sneakers. They have what's called a 'rollbar' that helps to keep your foot aligned correctly as you walk (or jog, I would presume).

Mine say T121 on the side, but I am not sure if that is a model number or not. I would try to find a good shoe store and see if you can find something in this category (I believe New Balance is the only company that makes them). Has your doctor said anything about custom orthotics? Those can also help control the motion of your foot when you walk. I got mine (and the shoes) because I am worried about the effects of long-term overpronation on my ankles/knees/hips/back, in addition to the PF pain. You might want to look into both options.