Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is dorsal mean?

Posted by Tammi on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043272)

Hi,
When I was getting Physical Therapy the other day the therapist said I dont even have 50% dorsal something or other,
I missed it as I was to busy gritting my teeth. Is that bad or good? I didnt think it was so good as he quickly wrote something
down and was going for the next treatment some ultrasound thing. Is this the normal stuff they do for therapy, Tens unit with heat,
then a calf massage,tries moving and pushing my toes and top foot up, then some ultrasound stuff and again the toe thing. He said
maybe next week we will add the stretching.Just curious I surfed the site but did not see much on the therapy and what it consists of.
Thank you,Tammie

Re: What is dorsal mean?

Julie on 4/02/01 at 02:49 (043296)

Tammi, I think your physical therapist meant that your ability to dorsiflex your foot (bend it back) isn't as good as it should be. This is one of the reasons one gets PF: the restricted ankle movement puts a strain on the plantar fascia. I'm sure he will explain this to you if you ask him next time you see him.

Physical therapy varies according to the condition and needs of the person, so there's no saying what is 'normal' - there are many techniques that can be used.

Re: What is dorsal mean?

Julie on 4/02/01 at 02:49 (043296)

Tammi, I think your physical therapist meant that your ability to dorsiflex your foot (bend it back) isn't as good as it should be. This is one of the reasons one gets PF: the restricted ankle movement puts a strain on the plantar fascia. I'm sure he will explain this to you if you ask him next time you see him.

Physical therapy varies according to the condition and needs of the person, so there's no saying what is 'normal' - there are many techniques that can be used.