Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Marching...can this be harmful?

Posted by Kimberly H on 4/01/01 at hrmin (043283)

I march in a Drum and Bugle Corps and i have plantar fasciitis. My doctor told me that I had this problem about 9 months ago and told me that it would possibly go away after 6 months..well i still have this pain in my feet....This drum corps i march in is from the end of May to the middle of August, and we are on our feet marching, running, practicing for an average of 11 hours a day, every day till the end of the season. My question is how this will affect my feet in the long run. Could by my marching really damage my feet permanantly?

Re: Marching...can this be harmful?

Cynthia D on 4/02/01 at 08:53 (043304)

Oh Kimberly H, I'm not a doctor, but couldn't help but to respond to your question to them. I have had cronic pf for almost 5 years and have done every kind of treatment you will read about here except surgery. I, just like you wanted to live my life and ignore my stupid feet. I was (will be again) a team tennis player, on my feet about 12 hours a week for tennis, plus 3 young kids, plus aerobics, weights, never sitting, you get the picture. My point to you is that I didn't want to accept this disease or to acknowledge that anything was wrong with my active, athletic-feeling body. So I ignored it. And worked through it. Sometimes it hurt SO much just to walk onto the tennis courts, I was almost in tears. I would park illegally so I wouldn't have to walk across the parking lot to go play tennis because it hurt so bad!! I fooled myself into thinking that if my feet got warmed up from the exercise, the pain decreased and so therefore I fooled myself into thinking my feet were ok. Boy, was I wrong. Looking back, I wish I had found this site sooner and gotten myself to a podiatrist sooner and given up my sports sooner and, as you will find from other's experiences here, I would have been healed sooner! It was very hard to accept this, I cried at my computer when I discovered this website and just how serious this condition can get if you ignore it. So please read the book you will find on the home page here, see if you need to miss one marching season and do so if you must (what's one season in respect to your long-term health?), and ask questions of experienced pf sufferers here, they'll help you keep your sanity. (BTW, pf is a repetitive-use injury.)

Now that I hope I haven't scared you, I just saw myself in your post, if I could turn back the clock, I would not march or play tennis, run, etc., until you are completely cured. People do get cured, some get cured very fast. I hope for your sake, just getting something simple like orthotics will cure yours because you are getting help early. Please stay optomostic. My tennis partner only had pf for about 3 months, and she plays full time again! My best wishes, and please keep us posted.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/02/01 at 12:10 (043325)

Hi,

Listen to Cynthia!! Pf is an over use repetitive motion injury just like Carpal tunnel syndrome. So marching is a very big cause for this foot never getting any rest or getting better.

Cynthia D on 4/02/01 at 08:53 (043304)

Oh Kimberly H, I'm not a doctor, but couldn't help but to respond to your question to them. I have had cronic pf for almost 5 years and have done every kind of treatment you will read about here except surgery. I, just like you wanted to live my life and ignore my stupid feet. I was (will be again) a team tennis player, on my feet about 12 hours a week for tennis, plus 3 young kids, plus aerobics, weights, never sitting, you get the picture. My point to you is that I didn't want to accept this disease or to acknowledge that anything was wrong with my active, athletic-feeling body. So I ignored it. And worked through it. Sometimes it hurt SO much just to walk onto the tennis courts, I was almost in tears. I would park illegally so I wouldn't have to walk across the parking lot to go play tennis because it hurt so bad!! I fooled myself into thinking that if my feet got warmed up from the exercise, the pain decreased and so therefore I fooled myself into thinking my feet were ok. Boy, was I wrong. Looking back, I wish I had found this site sooner and gotten myself to a podiatrist sooner and given up my sports sooner and, as you will find from other's experiences here, I would have been healed sooner! It was very hard to accept this, I cried at my computer when I discovered this website and just how serious this condition can get if you ignore it. So please read the book you will find on the home page here, see if you need to miss one marching season and do so if you must (what's one season in respect to your long-term health?), and ask questions of experienced pf sufferers here, they'll help you keep your sanity. (BTW, pf is a repetitive-use injury.)

Now that I hope I haven't scared you, I just saw myself in your post, if I could turn back the clock, I would not march or play tennis, run, etc., until you are completely cured. People do get cured, some get cured very fast. I hope for your sake, just getting something simple like orthotics will cure yours because you are getting help early. Please stay optomostic. My tennis partner only had pf for about 3 months, and she plays full time again! My best wishes, and please keep us posted.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/02/01 at 12:10 (043325)

Hi,

Listen to Cynthia!! Pf is an over use repetitive motion injury just like Carpal tunnel syndrome. So marching is a very big cause for this foot never getting any rest or getting better.