Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstocks and Dry heels

Posted by Libby on 4/02/01 at 07:42 (043300)

I've been wearing Birkenstocks for about 2 years now and I really don't have much of a problem with foot pain anymore. They have been wonderful for my feet. But my heels have been very dry and are cracking. Partially because it is a hereditary condition but my husband thinks the Birkenstocks are making it worse. Has anyone else had this problem and are there any good products out there for dry, cracked heals? I've tried lots of different lotions. I wear the slip on type shoes that don't have a back strap. Thanks, Libby

Re: Birkenstocks and Dry heels

Libby on 4/02/01 at 07:45 (043301)

Oh, one more thing. I wear socks in the wintertime but it's too hot here now for that. I'm not sure if wearing socks helped or not anyway.

Re: To Libby Birkenstocks and Dry heels

Pauline on 4/02/01 at 08:12 (043303)

Libby,
My opinion would be that I don't think the Birk's have anything to do with the dry, cracked heels. I can tell you that a very good remedy for them is a product called 'Bag Balm' Don't laugh you purchase it in the pet
dept at Wall Mart. Other places may also have it. It's an old farm product that is used on the cracks tits of cows and many of the farmers found that by using it to heal the cows it also healed their cracked and chapped hands.

Relatives have been using it for years. I remembered about it this winter when my own heels began to look as you described. You see imporvement in 24 hrs. It's safe and you don't start mooing. Just rub it in. If you want you can sleep with socks on or just rub it in good and go to bed.
Next morning you'll notice the difference. Great stuff and cheap.
About $4.95 for a large can. My sister-in-law has all her friends using it. If you don't like it you haven't invested much.

Re: To Libby- Birkenstocks and Dry heels

Clara on 4/02/01 at 09:17 (043310)

Hi Libby!
I think that Pauline´s idea sounds great. I have the same problem with cracked heels, and I now using Elizabeth Ardens 'Eigth hour creme', and it really helps!! I´ve read someplace that E. Arden done this creme for horses (!!) at first, then she noticed that the cream worked even on human skin, for almost everything, small wounds and so on, too.
It´s a little expencive here in Sweden (about 10$ for 50 ml) but it´s really worth it.

On wednesday I´m going to have acupuncture. I´ll give it a try. I have also now learned how to tape my feet in heel pain book, and with Julies help. Thank you Julie!!!! It worked! I´m feeling much better already!

Take care

Clara

john h on 4/02/01 at 09:30 (043311)

if you do not wear socks i think you will have to live with with tough dry heels. it is almost like going barefooted in that your feet move back in forth in the bed (sandals) and callus tend to form.

wendyn on 4/02/01 at 11:31 (043320)

I have heard of the bag balm and that it works great - have never actually seen it myself.

Dry cracked heels also sound like a very good excuse to get a nice pedicure.

I'm always looking for a way to justify spending money on myself. Especially on something like a pedicure!

Re: I agree!

Bill E on 4/02/01 at 13:27 (043330)

Bag balm is a great product. It does have a kind of strange smell though. That isn't a problem on your feet but I am not sure that I would use it as a face cream.

Another suggestion is pure lanoline. You can sometimes find this in pharmacies. It is a bit more expensive than bag balm but still cheap compared to most cosmetic products.

These are both kind of 'killer greases' and work well for very dry skin.

wendyn on 4/02/01 at 13:55 (043335)

Lanolin is also one of those things that many people are allergic or very senstive to. It's made from lamb's wool. Best to buy a small amount and and do a patch test before slathering your whole bod in it.

Trust me on this.

When I had my first son, they used to hand it out in the hospital to all the mom's who were breastfeeding to help 'avoid chapping' on the mom's 'udders' (maybe they should have give US the Bag Balm!). Anyway, you can imagine what an allergic reaction there was like......

I wonder if Emu Oil would work?

Julie on 4/02/01 at 17:40 (043367)

I agree with John - going barefoot in sandals has often given me cracked heels. The tough hard callused skin that forms easily cracks, however much cream is used. My suggestion would be to see a chiropodist first to get the hard skin cut away. Then start using a pumice stone regularly to keep the calluses from reforming. And use a really good cream every night. I can't speak for Bag Balm, though it sounds good stuff, but Scholl's do a deep nourishing foot cream that worked well for me.

Julie on 4/02/01 at 17:41 (043369)

That's good, Clara. I'm glad it works! Don't get over-confident and start doing too much again, though.

Libby on 4/02/01 at 07:45 (043301)

Oh, one more thing. I wear socks in the wintertime but it's too hot here now for that. I'm not sure if wearing socks helped or not anyway.

Pauline on 4/02/01 at 08:12 (043303)

Libby,
My opinion would be that I don't think the Birk's have anything to do with the dry, cracked heels. I can tell you that a very good remedy for them is a product called 'Bag Balm' Don't laugh you purchase it in the pet
dept at Wall Mart. Other places may also have it. It's an old farm product that is used on the cracks tits of cows and many of the farmers found that by using it to heal the cows it also healed their cracked and chapped hands.

Relatives have been using it for years. I remembered about it this winter when my own heels began to look as you described. You see imporvement in 24 hrs. It's safe and you don't start mooing. Just rub it in. If you want you can sleep with socks on or just rub it in good and go to bed.
Next morning you'll notice the difference. Great stuff and cheap.
About $4.95 for a large can. My sister-in-law has all her friends using it. If you don't like it you haven't invested much.

Clara on 4/02/01 at 09:17 (043310)

Hi Libby!
I think that Pauline´s idea sounds great. I have the same problem with cracked heels, and I now using Elizabeth Ardens 'Eigth hour creme', and it really helps!! I´ve read someplace that E. Arden done this creme for horses (!!) at first, then she noticed that the cream worked even on human skin, for almost everything, small wounds and so on, too.
It´s a little expencive here in Sweden (about 10$ for 50 ml) but it´s really worth it.

On wednesday I´m going to have acupuncture. I´ll give it a try. I have also now learned how to tape my feet in heel pain book, and with Julies help. Thank you Julie!!!! It worked! I´m feeling much better already!

Take care

Clara

john h on 4/02/01 at 09:30 (043311)

if you do not wear socks i think you will have to live with with tough dry heels. it is almost like going barefooted in that your feet move back in forth in the bed (sandals) and callus tend to form.

wendyn on 4/02/01 at 11:31 (043320)

I have heard of the bag balm and that it works great - have never actually seen it myself.

Dry cracked heels also sound like a very good excuse to get a nice pedicure.

I'm always looking for a way to justify spending money on myself. Especially on something like a pedicure!

Bill E on 4/02/01 at 13:27 (043330)

Bag balm is a great product. It does have a kind of strange smell though. That isn't a problem on your feet but I am not sure that I would use it as a face cream.

Another suggestion is pure lanoline. You can sometimes find this in pharmacies. It is a bit more expensive than bag balm but still cheap compared to most cosmetic products.

These are both kind of 'killer greases' and work well for very dry skin.

wendyn on 4/02/01 at 13:55 (043335)

Lanolin is also one of those things that many people are allergic or very senstive to. It's made from lamb's wool. Best to buy a small amount and and do a patch test before slathering your whole bod in it.

Trust me on this.

When I had my first son, they used to hand it out in the hospital to all the mom's who were breastfeeding to help 'avoid chapping' on the mom's 'udders' (maybe they should have give US the Bag Balm!). Anyway, you can imagine what an allergic reaction there was like......

I wonder if Emu Oil would work?

Julie on 4/02/01 at 17:40 (043367)

I agree with John - going barefoot in sandals has often given me cracked heels. The tough hard callused skin that forms easily cracks, however much cream is used. My suggestion would be to see a chiropodist first to get the hard skin cut away. Then start using a pumice stone regularly to keep the calluses from reforming. And use a really good cream every night. I can't speak for Bag Balm, though it sounds good stuff, but Scholl's do a deep nourishing foot cream that worked well for me.

Julie on 4/02/01 at 17:41 (043369)

That's good, Clara. I'm glad it works! Don't get over-confident and start doing too much again, though.