Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Personal Results from ESWT

Posted by Marcia G on 4/02/01 at 11:30 (043318)

I have had bilateral plantar fasciitis for almost 3 years and all conventional therapies have failed to give me relief. I am considering ESWT with Dr. Zuckerman and would like to hear from as many people as possible regarding their outcomes and experiences with the ESWT treatment.

Re: Personal Results from ESWT

Steve P on 4/02/01 at 16:59 (043357)

Marcia --- ESWT patient results are summarized in this table from the ESWT section:

http://heelspurs.com/ ESWT/patients.cgi

Good luck......Steve

john h on 4/03/01 at 09:37 (043424)

in a word 'just do it' marcia.

Rose L on 4/03/01 at 11:02 (043430)

Hi, Marcia. I have been suffering from bilateral pf for over 16 months now. I had ESWT in Totonto Canada a little over a week ago. My feet are much more irritated than prior to treatment. I am desperate for improvement and disappointed that I had no immediate improvement as many people do. I am willing to wait (somewhat) patiently for months - but I need some improvement! This is ruining life as I knew it! I was a very active person before pf. I agree with John h...just do it (the ESWT). It cannot hurt you. Best wishes. Let us know what you decide to do. Rose L.

Kim B. on 4/04/01 at 00:08 (043528)

Hi Rose,

After reading your response to Marcia, I have a few questions for you.

What kind of ESWT you had done in Toronto? Was it done with the OssaTron or the Orbasone?

Did you travel to Toronto? Do you live in Canada or the States?

Why do you say 'it cannot hurt you, yet your feet are are much more irritated than before treatment.

Your response will be very helpful to me.

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling badly. I hope you see a change for the better soon. :-)

Regards, Kim B.

Rose L on 4/04/01 at 11:54 (043560)

Hi, Kim!

I had four treatments with the Siemens Sonocur Plus - a low energy ESWT machine - each a day apart. I live in northern California but choose to travel all the way to Markham, Ontario (Greater Toronto) to the Bayshore ESWT Clinic (location ID#40). I had business in Toronto just prior to the onset of my pf (November '99).

The way I understand it, the shock waves can definately re-injure the tissue - tissue that may be scarred, or for whatever reason not healing. The re-injury creates new inflammation, pain, etc., but the theory is that this re-injury also promotes proper healing, increased circulation, etc. I was reassured by Heidi Brunner, who gave me the treatments that because of the low-energy shocks, irritation/discomfort could be produced, but nothing that would produce any lasting damage. This, I believe is not entirely true of the high voltage ossotron.

I am not a doctor, and do not claim to have the answers. The trip to Canada made sense for me. I am only eleven days post ESWT, so please don't be discouraged because I'm a little paranoid. I don't want to be too hopefull for a complete recovery and then be disappointed. I believe by the way my feet are feeling today that they are starting to settle down and some real improvement will come in the next few weeks. Keep in touch. Let me know what you decide to do! Good luck. Rose

Cynthia D on 4/04/01 at 13:23 (043570)

Hi Rose, Cynthia again. We had a conversation on the ESWT boards, I believe. I'm really sorry to hear that you are not feeling better, too. I wish I could say just give it time and wave a magic wand. Presto! We are all better! I am sitting here now 8 weeks 2 days post treatment and still am worse, actually, much, much, much worse than before treatment. I haven't actually spoken to anyone else who is worse off after treatment, (or at least anyone who writes to this website.)

The doctor I saw in Florida told me that they had one patient who walked off the table completely cured of pf, and still is. They had several who were better within days, some within a couple of weeks. They had one patient who was 'bad, bad, bad, bad' for weeks and weeks (sounds like me!), who was suddenly and completely healed after 3 months.

I am still in so much pain and discomfort, I use an office chair to wheel around my house and don't go anywhere unless I absolutely have to. When I do walk, I still limp and have to hold to something if I can. But there have been good days in between!! This is such a mystery as yesterday I felt like I was on top of the world and went out to lunch (not walking much or standing, though), and had a great time and almost felt like a normal person again!! Then today, back to the old pain/tenderness cycle. What a mystery. Anyone with thoughts on what could be setting it off again?

Are you stretching yet? Icing? Do you have a magic wand?

Cynthia D on 4/04/01 at 13:28 (043572)

To Marcia: Hope you can get others to post here their good results! Also you can read the ESWT section, including the old ones and people have had a lot of conversations about their treatment results. Don't let me scare you because I know it works for many others and I'm trying to remain hopeful. Best wishes.

Re: To Cynthia D. Personal Results from ESWT

Pauline on 4/04/01 at 14:00 (043576)

Cynthia,
Could you please refresh us about your treatment. When it was and which machine was used. I think there are several different machines that are being used depending on which site you visit. Did they use anaesthesia?
Thanks.

Steve P on 4/04/01 at 16:27 (043598)

Cynthia -- As you know, Dr. Z says that a 2nd treatment is sometimes necessary. Has he indicated if/when he might have you back?

Best........Steve

Cynthia D on 4/04/01 at 19:55 (043633)

Hi guys, yes, I do think that I may be one of the ones who needs a second treatment. I'm so scared of it, though because logically how can something that made me SO much worse, make me better? Like taking a baseball bat to hit a broken bone to repair it? This whole thing is such a mystery. We need a volunteer to insert a camera into their pf to see what actually happens why some are great, others are worse.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if that was the answer. Some docs wait 8 weeks, some less, some more. Guess I'll ask Dr. Z how soon and at least start thinking about it. I wonder, too if I will need the regular surgery. Too bad it's on both feet, so it will be so debilitating. Also, since I waited 8 weeks what's the harm to wait to the 12 week mark to see if I get better results? Only prolonging this whole mess, I've already given up all my sports - but summer's coming and I can at least swim!

I have had a few good days in the 8 week period. I was reminded by a friend that in the beginning, my right foot was totally symptom-free. I think I'll look at all my old emails and posts about it sometime to review how many good days. Seems like most were bad days, sorry to say. Boy, that Vicoden is good stuff except for the blurry eyes and 'feeling high'. I'm not taking any today or tomorrow to see what happens. Maybe the steroid pack will kick in, today was the last day, day five.

BTW, I had Orbasone in NJ with Dr. Z back in February.

Steve, how are your feet - has it been 2 weeks yet? Thanks for both of you asking. It's such a comfort to come here to people who care and aren't bored to tears by my saga! :) Of course, maybe you are!! Haha

Re: Cynthia

Kim B. on 4/04/01 at 22:53 (043654)

You mentioned that you were using an office chair to wheel youself around the house. Unless you are in it upside down, I can't think of anyway that you can do this without bearing some weight on your feet, unlike a wheel chair, that requires you to use your hands/upper body to make you go. Maybe you should invest in a rental chair for a week just to see if it makes a difference. If not, send it back, if it helps, keep using it, at least just around the houses. though, if your like me, and not fit, your upper body may get sore, so be ready for that. Rental places rent them, as do some Apothecary pharmacies.

You may think you are using just the tip of your foot or only the back of your heels to get around your house, (or however you are pushing off), but it seem to me that more of your foot and tendons are involved in what you are doing, than you may realize. You are changing the normal use of your foot which could hender the healing. Just a thought re: whay MAY be hindering YOUR recoup. Isolate the chair factor for a week to rule it in or out. Good Luck, I wish you well! I DEEM YOU HEALED! :-) Kim B.

Re: Thanks for the info Rose :-) Get better soon! eom.

Kim B. on 4/04/01 at 22:55 (043655)

eom means end of message.

Re: Cynthia - Healed?

Cynthia D on 4/05/01 at 06:40 (043665)

Hi Kim, you are so funny, your healing powers were reaching through the computer!!! I am just a tiny bit better today - I'll take any little bit I can. I find I keep going back to the chair because it relieves my feet just to get the weight off them SO MUCH that I just sit down and 'pull' myself along the counter tops. We have bar stools in the kitchen, but they are always full of children and friends so my trusty office chair is always there. My shoulders and neck and back, unfortunately are killing me, so this is a very bad practice. I do use my feet sometimes, I'll have to be careful, you are right. Thanks for your concern!! How are your feet today?

Re: Cynthia - A happy update

Cynthia D on 4/07/01 at 08:32 (043900)

I must be getting some relief from the steriod pack I took or maybe, just maybe the ESWT is kicking in. I was on my feet a lot yesterday and didn't use the chair, Kim! It was nice to be higher up while cooking, etc. and to be able to stand....not too bad today, eighter.....now if I just don't overdo it! Hey, there's a new motto for you, Scott, 'PF - Just do it - just don't overdo it!'

Steve P on 4/02/01 at 16:59 (043357)

Marcia --- ESWT patient results are summarized in this table from the ESWT section:

http://heelspurs.com/ ESWT/patients.cgi

Good luck......Steve

john h on 4/03/01 at 09:37 (043424)

in a word 'just do it' marcia.

Rose L on 4/03/01 at 11:02 (043430)

Hi, Marcia. I have been suffering from bilateral pf for over 16 months now. I had ESWT in Totonto Canada a little over a week ago. My feet are much more irritated than prior to treatment. I am desperate for improvement and disappointed that I had no immediate improvement as many people do. I am willing to wait (somewhat) patiently for months - but I need some improvement! This is ruining life as I knew it! I was a very active person before pf. I agree with John h...just do it (the ESWT). It cannot hurt you. Best wishes. Let us know what you decide to do. Rose L.

Kim B. on 4/04/01 at 00:08 (043528)

Hi Rose,

After reading your response to Marcia, I have a few questions for you.

What kind of ESWT you had done in Toronto? Was it done with the OssaTron or the Orbasone?

Did you travel to Toronto? Do you live in Canada or the States?

Why do you say 'it cannot hurt you, yet your feet are are much more irritated than before treatment.

Your response will be very helpful to me.

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling badly. I hope you see a change for the better soon. :-)

Regards, Kim B.

Rose L on 4/04/01 at 11:54 (043560)

Hi, Kim!

I had four treatments with the Siemens Sonocur Plus - a low energy ESWT machine - each a day apart. I live in northern California but choose to travel all the way to Markham, Ontario (Greater Toronto) to the Bayshore ESWT Clinic (location ID#40). I had business in Toronto just prior to the onset of my pf (November '99).

The way I understand it, the shock waves can definately re-injure the tissue - tissue that may be scarred, or for whatever reason not healing. The re-injury creates new inflammation, pain, etc., but the theory is that this re-injury also promotes proper healing, increased circulation, etc. I was reassured by Heidi Brunner, who gave me the treatments that because of the low-energy shocks, irritation/discomfort could be produced, but nothing that would produce any lasting damage. This, I believe is not entirely true of the high voltage ossotron.

I am not a doctor, and do not claim to have the answers. The trip to Canada made sense for me. I am only eleven days post ESWT, so please don't be discouraged because I'm a little paranoid. I don't want to be too hopefull for a complete recovery and then be disappointed. I believe by the way my feet are feeling today that they are starting to settle down and some real improvement will come in the next few weeks. Keep in touch. Let me know what you decide to do! Good luck. Rose

Cynthia D on 4/04/01 at 13:23 (043570)

Hi Rose, Cynthia again. We had a conversation on the ESWT boards, I believe. I'm really sorry to hear that you are not feeling better, too. I wish I could say just give it time and wave a magic wand. Presto! We are all better! I am sitting here now 8 weeks 2 days post treatment and still am worse, actually, much, much, much worse than before treatment. I haven't actually spoken to anyone else who is worse off after treatment, (or at least anyone who writes to this website.)

The doctor I saw in Florida told me that they had one patient who walked off the table completely cured of pf, and still is. They had several who were better within days, some within a couple of weeks. They had one patient who was 'bad, bad, bad, bad' for weeks and weeks (sounds like me!), who was suddenly and completely healed after 3 months.

I am still in so much pain and discomfort, I use an office chair to wheel around my house and don't go anywhere unless I absolutely have to. When I do walk, I still limp and have to hold to something if I can. But there have been good days in between!! This is such a mystery as yesterday I felt like I was on top of the world and went out to lunch (not walking much or standing, though), and had a great time and almost felt like a normal person again!! Then today, back to the old pain/tenderness cycle. What a mystery. Anyone with thoughts on what could be setting it off again?

Are you stretching yet? Icing? Do you have a magic wand?

Cynthia D on 4/04/01 at 13:28 (043572)

To Marcia: Hope you can get others to post here their good results! Also you can read the ESWT section, including the old ones and people have had a lot of conversations about their treatment results. Don't let me scare you because I know it works for many others and I'm trying to remain hopeful. Best wishes.

Re: To Cynthia D. Personal Results from ESWT

Pauline on 4/04/01 at 14:00 (043576)

Cynthia,
Could you please refresh us about your treatment. When it was and which machine was used. I think there are several different machines that are being used depending on which site you visit. Did they use anaesthesia?
Thanks.

Steve P on 4/04/01 at 16:27 (043598)

Cynthia -- As you know, Dr. Z says that a 2nd treatment is sometimes necessary. Has he indicated if/when he might have you back?

Best........Steve

Cynthia D on 4/04/01 at 19:55 (043633)

Hi guys, yes, I do think that I may be one of the ones who needs a second treatment. I'm so scared of it, though because logically how can something that made me SO much worse, make me better? Like taking a baseball bat to hit a broken bone to repair it? This whole thing is such a mystery. We need a volunteer to insert a camera into their pf to see what actually happens why some are great, others are worse.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if that was the answer. Some docs wait 8 weeks, some less, some more. Guess I'll ask Dr. Z how soon and at least start thinking about it. I wonder, too if I will need the regular surgery. Too bad it's on both feet, so it will be so debilitating. Also, since I waited 8 weeks what's the harm to wait to the 12 week mark to see if I get better results? Only prolonging this whole mess, I've already given up all my sports - but summer's coming and I can at least swim!

I have had a few good days in the 8 week period. I was reminded by a friend that in the beginning, my right foot was totally symptom-free. I think I'll look at all my old emails and posts about it sometime to review how many good days. Seems like most were bad days, sorry to say. Boy, that Vicoden is good stuff except for the blurry eyes and 'feeling high'. I'm not taking any today or tomorrow to see what happens. Maybe the steroid pack will kick in, today was the last day, day five.

BTW, I had Orbasone in NJ with Dr. Z back in February.

Steve, how are your feet - has it been 2 weeks yet? Thanks for both of you asking. It's such a comfort to come here to people who care and aren't bored to tears by my saga! :) Of course, maybe you are!! Haha

Re: Cynthia

Kim B. on 4/04/01 at 22:53 (043654)

You mentioned that you were using an office chair to wheel youself around the house. Unless you are in it upside down, I can't think of anyway that you can do this without bearing some weight on your feet, unlike a wheel chair, that requires you to use your hands/upper body to make you go. Maybe you should invest in a rental chair for a week just to see if it makes a difference. If not, send it back, if it helps, keep using it, at least just around the houses. though, if your like me, and not fit, your upper body may get sore, so be ready for that. Rental places rent them, as do some Apothecary pharmacies.

You may think you are using just the tip of your foot or only the back of your heels to get around your house, (or however you are pushing off), but it seem to me that more of your foot and tendons are involved in what you are doing, than you may realize. You are changing the normal use of your foot which could hender the healing. Just a thought re: whay MAY be hindering YOUR recoup. Isolate the chair factor for a week to rule it in or out. Good Luck, I wish you well! I DEEM YOU HEALED! :-) Kim B.

Re: Thanks for the info Rose :-) Get better soon! eom.

Kim B. on 4/04/01 at 22:55 (043655)

eom means end of message.

Re: Cynthia - Healed?

Cynthia D on 4/05/01 at 06:40 (043665)

Hi Kim, you are so funny, your healing powers were reaching through the computer!!! I am just a tiny bit better today - I'll take any little bit I can. I find I keep going back to the chair because it relieves my feet just to get the weight off them SO MUCH that I just sit down and 'pull' myself along the counter tops. We have bar stools in the kitchen, but they are always full of children and friends so my trusty office chair is always there. My shoulders and neck and back, unfortunately are killing me, so this is a very bad practice. I do use my feet sometimes, I'll have to be careful, you are right. Thanks for your concern!! How are your feet today?

Re: Cynthia - A happy update

Cynthia D on 4/07/01 at 08:32 (043900)

I must be getting some relief from the steriod pack I took or maybe, just maybe the ESWT is kicking in. I was on my feet a lot yesterday and didn't use the chair, Kim! It was nice to be higher up while cooking, etc. and to be able to stand....not too bad today, eighter.....now if I just don't overdo it! Hey, there's a new motto for you, Scott, 'PF - Just do it - just don't overdo it!'