Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OH OH ?

Posted by Tammi on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043322)

Hello again,
Did I just get shamed?I recently got molded for orthotics,they used that foam crunchy stuff blue in a box,just press foot in.
And please we must have half money down and when pick up the other half which in the tune of $300. Seeing some comments
here wondering if this is not very good? Gosh I feel like a big novice . Who would ever believe a sore heel could involve so
very much! I got the molding done from the pods,which leaves me worried as she was mad I couldnt get my heel down in it
so she jammed it down with her hands. I am wondering what I should be aware of now? Oh why does everything have to be
so darn complicated???? Heh if there is any more advice for me I am gladly listening hopefully before I make more foolish mistakes.
Thanks

Re: OH OH ?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/02/01 at 12:07 (043324)

There are many ways to cast for orthosis. Depending upon your foot type and the reason for the orthosis will determine what method of casting will be used. Did you make a foolish mistake I don't understand why you feel this way. Orthosis for the right foot type and right foot conditon can really help you alot. Discuss with your doctor your concerns, or discuss with Dr. Z and or anyone on this board your concerns.

Re: a final thanks before goodbye

Tammie on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043328)

ok whew! Well reading here I have been seeing that the only or best kind of othodotics are when they cast with the
plaster stuff so it made me worry that I didnt do this right either. I am truly a novice and darn it there are so many options
It is hard to know what is right. I am totally confused on this whole subject. I would like to get under covers and
wake up again thinking this is all a dream. Ok now am flatfooted which I have been all my life,but dr. says he can tell by
the big bone on or below my big toe that I have a problem with the way I walk, so he thinks the orthies or whatever u call them will
help with correcting the way I walk and helping the heel pain. Or at this point who knows what he said as I am being bombarded
with everyones advice but all different. I just need honest simple advice. I am returning to this dr. on fri.,and considering getting the
orthies and stopping all else. And learning to live with what some feel is going to be a lifetime problem. On the other hand my
husband who will acompany me is pushing me to have the surgery and be done with it this way, so I guess it will be who is the
strongest as I am feeling neither. Someone mailed me that I am going about everything wrong, wrong Physical therapy, wrong to
accept cortisone more then 2 times and wrong to have the feet molded in that foam stuff said It is not a true mold ,but hehe what do
I know about anything,anymore. Said surgery is best and that this site uses allot of scare tactics against it? Me I dont know ,I have never had
this so am ignorant of how it preceeds. After 3 physical therapy I kinda feel like I dont understand anything and when I ask a question
I get the look as if dont you know this is not a quick process. But when do u feel relief and for how long can I expect it to last ?
Well gee dont want to bother anymore fix and heal those who have faith as I have lost mine. I have been told to quit feeling sorry
for myself and get on with it so If asking questions and reserching this means self piety then I am out of here cause I am not looking
for that.Is there any other good areas for research not here in this site? All areas seem to refer this site. Thank you for trying to be of help

Bill E. on 4/02/01 at 13:47 (043333)

I hope that you are continuing to read the PF Book as well as pay some attention to the messages here. Now my personal opinions:

First, I think that PF is highly personal. Different people have it for different reasons and they have slightly different cures. I think that universally, the best thing is rest. That may mean just minimizing the time spent on your feet or it might be more severe. In my case, I just try not to walk or stand too much. Orthotics are probably a good thing. If you have a biomechanical problem then you probably need to get custom ones to correct the problem along with supporting your arch. Again, in my case, I have had great success with several different over the counter orthotics. Stretching works well for me. But there are a few people who have had problems with stretching. Most of my stretches are not 'weight bearing' so they don't put undue weight on the planatar fascia. I had one cortisone injection and it worked for a while but I am not sure that I would do it again. After reading about the weakening of tissues with cortisone, I think that the potential harm outweighs the benefit for me. But my heel pain is not terribly great. I have had excellent success with PT. My PT is cortisone cream applied topically with ultrasound followed by foot massage and stretching. I found this to work extremely well and have been assured that the cortisone applied in this fashion will not weaken the fascia. A lot of people have success with taping. I tried it and it felt great on my PF but it hurt my skin too much to keep doing it. I also use a night splint. Even though I don't have the classic 'get out of bed pain'. But the splint does seem to help. It took a little getting used to but now it is nothing to me.

Healing is slow! You have to look for every single little improvement and focus on that. There will be days when you will backslide. Personally I believe in the most gentle treatment to start, paying attention to what seems to work and then getting more and more agressive as time goes on. Using that logic, surgery is the last thing that I would try.

Don't get discouraged! I have been working on this for 8 or 9 months. I am nearly recovered. If I keep going the way I am, I will be running again this Summer and hopefully running long long distances by Fall. That is my goal but my feet will determine how far I get towards it.

Make your own decisions. They are your feet and your pain.

wendyn on 4/02/01 at 13:51 (043334)

Tammie - did I miss something? Did someone here tell you to quit feeling sorry for yourself?

No - researching and asking questions does not mean self pity, that's how we all learn.

I'm just confused - are you upset with a response you received on this site or are you speaking generally?

This 'site' does not use scare tactitcs (in my opinion). It's an open forum where people with positive AND negative experiences can post their progress. By it's nature, this board will attract more people with negative experiences because people who are quickly and fully cured - are out running and playing with everyone else - not surfing the net about PF.

It would be unwise to have surgery before trying orthotics for a very simple reason. If you are flat footed and you have a biomechanical problem - this will not be cured during surgery. Therefore, you will be prone to have the same problem AFTER surgery. Why have surgery only to go right back to the same set of problems you had before? Orthotics are a conservative measure that should always be attempted before getting in there with the knife. As for your husband's attitude of 'have the surgery and get it over with' - it is not like pulling a tooth where you simply remove the problem. It's entirely possible to have as much or more pain following an unsuccesful surgery - so that's why doctors try everything else first.

As for the casting, the foam is used by some - and there are many different opinions on the best way to cast. Ultimately, many orthotics will require several adjustments to get them right. You need to find a doctor or pedorthodude who is patient and dedicated enough to help you get what works for you.

Sugery seems to be a well accepted 'last resort' and there's precious little to be gained by rushing into it before trying all conservative measures first.

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 13:57 (043336)

Tammie--

I'm not sure from your subject if you are still reading the board or not, but I sure hope you are. There is a lot of info here that will be helpful to you.

First of all, my understanding is that the foam box is the best way to cast for orthotics--as long as the person who is casting you knows what they're doing! Your foot has to be in a neutral position, and from the sound of your first post, yours may not have been. As Richard, our resident orthotics expert (he is a pedorthist and makes orthotics for a living), has said many times, when using the foam box, you should not apply ANY pressure on the foam yourself. Doing so changes the way your foot is shaped for the mold and therefore will result in an inaccurate impression. I just had new orthotics made, and mine were done in the foam box, by someone who knew what he was doing. He made sure that he lined up my knees and hips into a neutral position, and then HE applied the pressure to get a neutral mold. I can't speak for plaster, because the pair that I had made using the plaster strips could only be used as ice scrapers, but that may be more the fault of the material rather than the mold.

Secondly, you have every right (and reason) to be afraid of surgery. There have been plenty of horror stories about surgeries that either go wrong, or don't help and cause other complications. The success rate for PF surgery is not very high, which is why you should try absolutely everything else before you use surgery--as a LAST RESORT. Nobody here is on a mission to eliminate the surgery, because for some people it truly is necessary. But once you've had your foot cut open, you can't go back, so please do try everything else first. Have you tried tape, night splints, ice, ankle braces, anti-inflammatories, physical therapy? There are so many things to try before you get desperate. DO NOT let anyone talk you into the surgery--it is something that you should only do if YOU want it. Your husband may think you should get it, but they're your feet, not his, and unless he has the medical background to make that decision, he should just stay out of it.

Third, depending on how long you've had PF and what all you've tried, ESWT may be an option for you. It is replacing surgery for a lot of people and is completely non-invasive. It's a new procedure in the US, so you may have to do some searching to find a doctor who knows about it, and to find a way to have insurance cover part of the cost. A lot of people on this board have had it done with good results. Dr. Zuckerman (whom you can find on the ESWT board and on the Ask the Foot Doctors board, primarily) has done many procedures in the last year and can answer your questions. We have several other doctors who check the board and are also available to offer information and advice. Please look into the non-invasive options before letting someone cut your foot open. If you are a candidate for ESWT (Dr. Z and the other docs can help you figure that out), you should definitely try it before surgery, because there is no risk of complication.

So... there are a lot of people on this board who have a lot of experience with PF, either from having it or from treating it. We're all here to offer suggestions and answer questions, and your best hope for a good outcome, I believe, is to educate yourself as much as possible as to the treatment options and their respective pros and cons. The more you know, the better able you are to make good decisions for yourself. That puts you in a position of power and control over your own treatment, which is always the best place to be.

Please let us know how you're doing and feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll do our best to help.

Nancy

Re: Thanks to my new friends,Please read

Tammie on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043347)

Thank you for mailing me Val and Nancy and I came as you suggested to read the posts.
I thank you all for the knowledge you have shared with me. I feel better as whoever it is that is
mailing me thease little things and making me think that I am a nut case well I am unsure that this
person is honestly interested and certainly is not a Dr. I admit I am very confused and scared
I have a husband with a very debilitating desease(Rhumitoid arthritis ) and is only 43 and I feel
a bit overwelmed as I cannot have something that is prolonged. I have a family and job to do
and I dont want to be hurt or you know what I mean . So I am very scared. I am sorry if I am being
whimpy but I feel very much so right now. I just want to do the best so that I can get better and
get on with my job and my family and life. I work over 40 hours a week and I really like my work
and then I have my family so please forgive me if I am rambling on as I guess I have never taken time to
have made friends before and could use some now to help me, show me the way to go so as to
fix this problem! Thanks to all!!!

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 15:47 (043350)

Tammie--

I'm so glad you came back to read up on things! I still think the absolute most important thing for you to do is to learn everything you can about this problem so you can make informed decisions. If you have doctor-related questions, be sure to post them on the Ask the Foot Doctors board so that the docs will see them. That will also help. Have you read the heel pain book? That's a great resource, too, and a great place to start.

Get the facts, know your stuff, and then you'll be able to explain to your husband/doctor/whoever WHY you don't want surgery, or another treatment that you don't think is right for you (or why you want to try something they think is silly). If people see that you know what you're talking about, they're less likely to try to pressure you. And I think feeling pressured will limit your decision-making ability. I understand that you want to take care of this quickly (don't we all!!), but be sure you're thinking things through. You are NOT a nut case.

You're among friends here, by definition of this board. So fire away with those questions!!

Laurie R on 4/02/01 at 16:50 (043356)

Hi Tammie,
I just e-mailed you .... I am very sorry to hear that someone e-mailed you and was rude. PLEASE ask all your questions. We are here to help each other. You will someday be able to help someone too. Don't let one person get to you. They sound like they are crazy not you. Boy they must have no life to do something like that. Welcome and ask away. The more you learn about PF the better it will be..Laurie R

Kay S on 4/02/01 at 17:12 (043359)

Tammi
I know it is difficult, but please don't expect any one thing to be the magic answer to relief for you. Try one thing at a time and give it a chance to help you. Go slowly with the orthotics when you get them because if you overdo it you will have even more pain for awhile. Richard recommends an hour the first day, 2 or 3 the next, etc.
There is no one thing that is going to 'cure' you, as you can see from everyone's posts here. We have all tried various things, and some work for certain people and not for others, and this is just the way it goes.
The reason you are hearing some negative things about surgery is because many of us here have experienced it without good results. There are plenty of other things to try first, and even if they don't help, at least they won't hurt. Surgery could give you additional problems, which is the reason everyone is sounding like it is not the be-all end-all of treatments.
I realize you want this condition behind you once and for all, but unfortunately that's not how this works. Try to be more patient, though I know it's really hard to do, and just go one step at a time. We are with you 100% and when we say 'I feel your pain' you should know that you can take that literally!!!
Kay

Cynthia D on 4/02/01 at 17:34 (043363)

Hi Tammie: I'm sorry to hear of your problems, and those of your husbands. Sometimes it seems we are given so much to deal with. When I first discovered this sight, I became a little depressed and very overwhelmed, too. There is a lot of information, and pf is not something that can be cured overnight, as much as we wish it could be. I hope you are one of the lucky ones and get cured more rapidly than those of us long-termers. As much as all there is here information-wise, and advice-wise it can become overwhelming, but if you need someone to listen to your complaints, and to give you their perspectives, you are in the right place. You have to try different things and see what works best for you.

I almost bought an orthotic where they have you smear petro jelly and then step on a grocery bag until I asked advice here! It sounds like you have a better option, and I hope your orthotics work for you. I know some pf is cured just by supporting your arches, so I hope you will be one of the lucky ones. Best wishes.

JudyS on 4/03/01 at 13:27 (043445)

Tammi - trust me on this, you are not wimpy! You are entirely normal with all your confusion and concern. You've come to the right place to get your head cleared of the PF cobwebs. Keep reading, keep asking, and pretty soon you'll start to feel much stronger about being in charge of your own PF.
It is quite distressing to hear that 'someone' is emailing you with scary ideas or name-calling. This board is full of terrific folks who know nothing but support so I sincerly hope it was just a one-time visitor who had nothing better to do with his or her time. Ignore that stuff. It is by no means indicative of the overall attitude here -
Hang in there!

Beverly on 4/04/01 at 21:49 (043649)

Tammi,

If I could hear your voice, my guess is that you feel overwhelmed. That is what I hear in your post, and many, probably most of us here have felt that way. This is an okay place to both vent and research.

I have searched and searched the web for info. on PF, and I have yet to find a site that comes close to the amount of info. here. (Not to mention the support.) So, in answer to your question,'Are there other sites?' Yes, there are other places on the Net to find info. on PF. Some of the best can be found in links directly from this site. Go to the journal articles and magazine articles listed on Scott's database. Click and you'll get info. from numerous sources.

I wish there was some easy answer but if there was ever a condition that is not 'one size fits all,' PF is it. Some people swear by their orthodics. Others like me, have had better luck with Birks. And I can't wear all Birks... just the Classic footbed.

I had no luck with shots. Others here feel they were at least temporarily like magic.

This is a safe place to express yourself. If you want more privacy, just be cautious who you give your email address to.
Take care,
Beverly

Julie on 4/05/01 at 02:10 (043659)

Tammi, you didn't really mean 'goodbye', did you? I hope not, because by sticking around you'll get a lot of help here, as I'm sure you've realized already. Pain can be so debilitating, and not just physically. You're feeling confused and a bit hopeless as you begin to realize that there isn't going to be a quick fix to your problem. No, there are no 'one-size-fits-all' answers to PF. But your ability to deal with YOUR PF will come through informing yourself, and involving yourself in a steady, sensible treatment programme that is right for you.

You know what they say: knowledge is power. And it is. As Beverly told you, this website is by far the best source of information on the net. It is also the place where you can and will get the support that you need. It's amazing, truly it is. So - don't say goodbye. Stick around. We need you here. As people start to take control and get better, they can then help other people. And it takes plenty of helpers to cope with all the 'foot misery' around.

All the best, Julie

Re: OH OH ?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/02/01 at 12:07 (043324)

There are many ways to cast for orthosis. Depending upon your foot type and the reason for the orthosis will determine what method of casting will be used. Did you make a foolish mistake I don't understand why you feel this way. Orthosis for the right foot type and right foot conditon can really help you alot. Discuss with your doctor your concerns, or discuss with Dr. Z and or anyone on this board your concerns.

Tammie on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043328)

ok whew! Well reading here I have been seeing that the only or best kind of othodotics are when they cast with the
plaster stuff so it made me worry that I didnt do this right either. I am truly a novice and darn it there are so many options
It is hard to know what is right. I am totally confused on this whole subject. I would like to get under covers and
wake up again thinking this is all a dream. Ok now am flatfooted which I have been all my life,but dr. says he can tell by
the big bone on or below my big toe that I have a problem with the way I walk, so he thinks the orthies or whatever u call them will
help with correcting the way I walk and helping the heel pain. Or at this point who knows what he said as I am being bombarded
with everyones advice but all different. I just need honest simple advice. I am returning to this dr. on fri.,and considering getting the
orthies and stopping all else. And learning to live with what some feel is going to be a lifetime problem. On the other hand my
husband who will acompany me is pushing me to have the surgery and be done with it this way, so I guess it will be who is the
strongest as I am feeling neither. Someone mailed me that I am going about everything wrong, wrong Physical therapy, wrong to
accept cortisone more then 2 times and wrong to have the feet molded in that foam stuff said It is not a true mold ,but hehe what do
I know about anything,anymore. Said surgery is best and that this site uses allot of scare tactics against it? Me I dont know ,I have never had
this so am ignorant of how it preceeds. After 3 physical therapy I kinda feel like I dont understand anything and when I ask a question
I get the look as if dont you know this is not a quick process. But when do u feel relief and for how long can I expect it to last ?
Well gee dont want to bother anymore fix and heal those who have faith as I have lost mine. I have been told to quit feeling sorry
for myself and get on with it so If asking questions and reserching this means self piety then I am out of here cause I am not looking
for that.Is there any other good areas for research not here in this site? All areas seem to refer this site. Thank you for trying to be of help

Bill E. on 4/02/01 at 13:47 (043333)

I hope that you are continuing to read the PF Book as well as pay some attention to the messages here. Now my personal opinions:

First, I think that PF is highly personal. Different people have it for different reasons and they have slightly different cures. I think that universally, the best thing is rest. That may mean just minimizing the time spent on your feet or it might be more severe. In my case, I just try not to walk or stand too much. Orthotics are probably a good thing. If you have a biomechanical problem then you probably need to get custom ones to correct the problem along with supporting your arch. Again, in my case, I have had great success with several different over the counter orthotics. Stretching works well for me. But there are a few people who have had problems with stretching. Most of my stretches are not 'weight bearing' so they don't put undue weight on the planatar fascia. I had one cortisone injection and it worked for a while but I am not sure that I would do it again. After reading about the weakening of tissues with cortisone, I think that the potential harm outweighs the benefit for me. But my heel pain is not terribly great. I have had excellent success with PT. My PT is cortisone cream applied topically with ultrasound followed by foot massage and stretching. I found this to work extremely well and have been assured that the cortisone applied in this fashion will not weaken the fascia. A lot of people have success with taping. I tried it and it felt great on my PF but it hurt my skin too much to keep doing it. I also use a night splint. Even though I don't have the classic 'get out of bed pain'. But the splint does seem to help. It took a little getting used to but now it is nothing to me.

Healing is slow! You have to look for every single little improvement and focus on that. There will be days when you will backslide. Personally I believe in the most gentle treatment to start, paying attention to what seems to work and then getting more and more agressive as time goes on. Using that logic, surgery is the last thing that I would try.

Don't get discouraged! I have been working on this for 8 or 9 months. I am nearly recovered. If I keep going the way I am, I will be running again this Summer and hopefully running long long distances by Fall. That is my goal but my feet will determine how far I get towards it.

Make your own decisions. They are your feet and your pain.

wendyn on 4/02/01 at 13:51 (043334)

Tammie - did I miss something? Did someone here tell you to quit feeling sorry for yourself?

No - researching and asking questions does not mean self pity, that's how we all learn.

I'm just confused - are you upset with a response you received on this site or are you speaking generally?

This 'site' does not use scare tactitcs (in my opinion). It's an open forum where people with positive AND negative experiences can post their progress. By it's nature, this board will attract more people with negative experiences because people who are quickly and fully cured - are out running and playing with everyone else - not surfing the net about PF.

It would be unwise to have surgery before trying orthotics for a very simple reason. If you are flat footed and you have a biomechanical problem - this will not be cured during surgery. Therefore, you will be prone to have the same problem AFTER surgery. Why have surgery only to go right back to the same set of problems you had before? Orthotics are a conservative measure that should always be attempted before getting in there with the knife. As for your husband's attitude of 'have the surgery and get it over with' - it is not like pulling a tooth where you simply remove the problem. It's entirely possible to have as much or more pain following an unsuccesful surgery - so that's why doctors try everything else first.

As for the casting, the foam is used by some - and there are many different opinions on the best way to cast. Ultimately, many orthotics will require several adjustments to get them right. You need to find a doctor or pedorthodude who is patient and dedicated enough to help you get what works for you.

Sugery seems to be a well accepted 'last resort' and there's precious little to be gained by rushing into it before trying all conservative measures first.

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 13:57 (043336)

Tammie--

I'm not sure from your subject if you are still reading the board or not, but I sure hope you are. There is a lot of info here that will be helpful to you.

First of all, my understanding is that the foam box is the best way to cast for orthotics--as long as the person who is casting you knows what they're doing! Your foot has to be in a neutral position, and from the sound of your first post, yours may not have been. As Richard, our resident orthotics expert (he is a pedorthist and makes orthotics for a living), has said many times, when using the foam box, you should not apply ANY pressure on the foam yourself. Doing so changes the way your foot is shaped for the mold and therefore will result in an inaccurate impression. I just had new orthotics made, and mine were done in the foam box, by someone who knew what he was doing. He made sure that he lined up my knees and hips into a neutral position, and then HE applied the pressure to get a neutral mold. I can't speak for plaster, because the pair that I had made using the plaster strips could only be used as ice scrapers, but that may be more the fault of the material rather than the mold.

Secondly, you have every right (and reason) to be afraid of surgery. There have been plenty of horror stories about surgeries that either go wrong, or don't help and cause other complications. The success rate for PF surgery is not very high, which is why you should try absolutely everything else before you use surgery--as a LAST RESORT. Nobody here is on a mission to eliminate the surgery, because for some people it truly is necessary. But once you've had your foot cut open, you can't go back, so please do try everything else first. Have you tried tape, night splints, ice, ankle braces, anti-inflammatories, physical therapy? There are so many things to try before you get desperate. DO NOT let anyone talk you into the surgery--it is something that you should only do if YOU want it. Your husband may think you should get it, but they're your feet, not his, and unless he has the medical background to make that decision, he should just stay out of it.

Third, depending on how long you've had PF and what all you've tried, ESWT may be an option for you. It is replacing surgery for a lot of people and is completely non-invasive. It's a new procedure in the US, so you may have to do some searching to find a doctor who knows about it, and to find a way to have insurance cover part of the cost. A lot of people on this board have had it done with good results. Dr. Zuckerman (whom you can find on the ESWT board and on the Ask the Foot Doctors board, primarily) has done many procedures in the last year and can answer your questions. We have several other doctors who check the board and are also available to offer information and advice. Please look into the non-invasive options before letting someone cut your foot open. If you are a candidate for ESWT (Dr. Z and the other docs can help you figure that out), you should definitely try it before surgery, because there is no risk of complication.

So... there are a lot of people on this board who have a lot of experience with PF, either from having it or from treating it. We're all here to offer suggestions and answer questions, and your best hope for a good outcome, I believe, is to educate yourself as much as possible as to the treatment options and their respective pros and cons. The more you know, the better able you are to make good decisions for yourself. That puts you in a position of power and control over your own treatment, which is always the best place to be.

Please let us know how you're doing and feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll do our best to help.

Nancy

Tammie on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043347)

Thank you for mailing me Val and Nancy and I came as you suggested to read the posts.
I thank you all for the knowledge you have shared with me. I feel better as whoever it is that is
mailing me thease little things and making me think that I am a nut case well I am unsure that this
person is honestly interested and certainly is not a Dr. I admit I am very confused and scared
I have a husband with a very debilitating desease(Rhumitoid arthritis ) and is only 43 and I feel
a bit overwelmed as I cannot have something that is prolonged. I have a family and job to do
and I dont want to be hurt or you know what I mean . So I am very scared. I am sorry if I am being
whimpy but I feel very much so right now. I just want to do the best so that I can get better and
get on with my job and my family and life. I work over 40 hours a week and I really like my work
and then I have my family so please forgive me if I am rambling on as I guess I have never taken time to
have made friends before and could use some now to help me, show me the way to go so as to
fix this problem! Thanks to all!!!

Nancy N on 4/02/01 at 15:47 (043350)

Tammie--

I'm so glad you came back to read up on things! I still think the absolute most important thing for you to do is to learn everything you can about this problem so you can make informed decisions. If you have doctor-related questions, be sure to post them on the Ask the Foot Doctors board so that the docs will see them. That will also help. Have you read the heel pain book? That's a great resource, too, and a great place to start.

Get the facts, know your stuff, and then you'll be able to explain to your husband/doctor/whoever WHY you don't want surgery, or another treatment that you don't think is right for you (or why you want to try something they think is silly). If people see that you know what you're talking about, they're less likely to try to pressure you. And I think feeling pressured will limit your decision-making ability. I understand that you want to take care of this quickly (don't we all!!), but be sure you're thinking things through. You are NOT a nut case.

You're among friends here, by definition of this board. So fire away with those questions!!

Laurie R on 4/02/01 at 16:50 (043356)

Hi Tammie,
I just e-mailed you .... I am very sorry to hear that someone e-mailed you and was rude. PLEASE ask all your questions. We are here to help each other. You will someday be able to help someone too. Don't let one person get to you. They sound like they are crazy not you. Boy they must have no life to do something like that. Welcome and ask away. The more you learn about PF the better it will be..Laurie R

Kay S on 4/02/01 at 17:12 (043359)

Tammi
I know it is difficult, but please don't expect any one thing to be the magic answer to relief for you. Try one thing at a time and give it a chance to help you. Go slowly with the orthotics when you get them because if you overdo it you will have even more pain for awhile. Richard recommends an hour the first day, 2 or 3 the next, etc.
There is no one thing that is going to 'cure' you, as you can see from everyone's posts here. We have all tried various things, and some work for certain people and not for others, and this is just the way it goes.
The reason you are hearing some negative things about surgery is because many of us here have experienced it without good results. There are plenty of other things to try first, and even if they don't help, at least they won't hurt. Surgery could give you additional problems, which is the reason everyone is sounding like it is not the be-all end-all of treatments.
I realize you want this condition behind you once and for all, but unfortunately that's not how this works. Try to be more patient, though I know it's really hard to do, and just go one step at a time. We are with you 100% and when we say 'I feel your pain' you should know that you can take that literally!!!
Kay

Cynthia D on 4/02/01 at 17:34 (043363)

Hi Tammie: I'm sorry to hear of your problems, and those of your husbands. Sometimes it seems we are given so much to deal with. When I first discovered this sight, I became a little depressed and very overwhelmed, too. There is a lot of information, and pf is not something that can be cured overnight, as much as we wish it could be. I hope you are one of the lucky ones and get cured more rapidly than those of us long-termers. As much as all there is here information-wise, and advice-wise it can become overwhelming, but if you need someone to listen to your complaints, and to give you their perspectives, you are in the right place. You have to try different things and see what works best for you.

I almost bought an orthotic where they have you smear petro jelly and then step on a grocery bag until I asked advice here! It sounds like you have a better option, and I hope your orthotics work for you. I know some pf is cured just by supporting your arches, so I hope you will be one of the lucky ones. Best wishes.

JudyS on 4/03/01 at 13:27 (043445)

Tammi - trust me on this, you are not wimpy! You are entirely normal with all your confusion and concern. You've come to the right place to get your head cleared of the PF cobwebs. Keep reading, keep asking, and pretty soon you'll start to feel much stronger about being in charge of your own PF.
It is quite distressing to hear that 'someone' is emailing you with scary ideas or name-calling. This board is full of terrific folks who know nothing but support so I sincerly hope it was just a one-time visitor who had nothing better to do with his or her time. Ignore that stuff. It is by no means indicative of the overall attitude here -
Hang in there!

Beverly on 4/04/01 at 21:49 (043649)

Tammi,

If I could hear your voice, my guess is that you feel overwhelmed. That is what I hear in your post, and many, probably most of us here have felt that way. This is an okay place to both vent and research.

I have searched and searched the web for info. on PF, and I have yet to find a site that comes close to the amount of info. here. (Not to mention the support.) So, in answer to your question,'Are there other sites?' Yes, there are other places on the Net to find info. on PF. Some of the best can be found in links directly from this site. Go to the journal articles and magazine articles listed on Scott's database. Click and you'll get info. from numerous sources.

I wish there was some easy answer but if there was ever a condition that is not 'one size fits all,' PF is it. Some people swear by their orthodics. Others like me, have had better luck with Birks. And I can't wear all Birks... just the Classic footbed.

I had no luck with shots. Others here feel they were at least temporarily like magic.

This is a safe place to express yourself. If you want more privacy, just be cautious who you give your email address to.
Take care,
Beverly

Julie on 4/05/01 at 02:10 (043659)

Tammi, you didn't really mean 'goodbye', did you? I hope not, because by sticking around you'll get a lot of help here, as I'm sure you've realized already. Pain can be so debilitating, and not just physically. You're feeling confused and a bit hopeless as you begin to realize that there isn't going to be a quick fix to your problem. No, there are no 'one-size-fits-all' answers to PF. But your ability to deal with YOUR PF will come through informing yourself, and involving yourself in a steady, sensible treatment programme that is right for you.

You know what they say: knowledge is power. And it is. As Beverly told you, this website is by far the best source of information on the net. It is also the place where you can and will get the support that you need. It's amazing, truly it is. So - don't say goodbye. Stick around. We need you here. As people start to take control and get better, they can then help other people. And it takes plenty of helpers to cope with all the 'foot misery' around.

All the best, Julie