Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT

Posted by DR Dan Klein on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043327)

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ARCHIVES OF CONTROLLED STUDIES OF LONG TERM RESULTS OF ESWT. I HAVE ONLY FOUND COMPANY INFO ON THE PRODUCT 'OSSATRON' MACHINE BUT I CAN'T FIND ANY ARTICLES THAT GIVE REFERENCE TO CONTROLLED STUDIES. DOES ANYONE HAVE REFERENCES? THE TREATMENT APPEARS TO BE DIRECTED TO ONLY THEORY WITH CO CLEAR UNDERSTANDING ABOUT ITS EFFECT ON THE CONDITION. THE RESULTS APPEAR TO BE ONLY ANTEDOTAL. HARD TO PRESENT A NEW FORM OF TREATMENT AT GRETA EXPENSE TO THE PATIENT WITHOUT REFERENCE AND LONGTERM STUDIES. I REMEMBER SOMEONE TOLD ME ONCE THAT IF YOU REPEATEDLY TAKE A HAMMER AND HIT YOUR FOOT YOU WILL CREATE A NEUROPRAXIA THAT WILL PROVIDE NUMBNESS TO THE AREA AND RELIEF FROM PAIN. IS THIS WHAT ESWT IS ALL ABOUT?

DAN KLEIN, DPM

Re: ESWT

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/02/01 at 13:30 (043331)

Hi,

ESWT has been used in the USA, Canada, European in the last ten years ten years. It is based of one of two theory. Reduction of pain via over stimulation of local pain receptors and local cellular trauma to the chronic fibrotic area that due to mechanical stimulation created a hyper vascular reponse with healing and formation of fibroblastic cells. Take you pick. We do know that it does work and can avoid the risks and complications that go along with plantar fascia surgery , and or heel spur surgery.

There are the FDA studies that the ossatron went thru. There are many long and short term studies, that can be found on the ESWT section of this web site. There is a web site called the International Society for Shockwave Therapy. They have just published a book of this subject which is very complete. ESWT is a non-surgical option for the chronic heel pain patient that hasn't reponsed to any conversative treatments.

Re: ESWT

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/02/01 at 13:30 (043331)

Hi,

ESWT has been used in the USA, Canada, European in the last ten years ten years. It is based of one of two theory. Reduction of pain via over stimulation of local pain receptors and local cellular trauma to the chronic fibrotic area that due to mechanical stimulation created a hyper vascular reponse with healing and formation of fibroblastic cells. Take you pick. We do know that it does work and can avoid the risks and complications that go along with plantar fascia surgery , and or heel spur surgery.

There are the FDA studies that the ossatron went thru. There are many long and short term studies, that can be found on the ESWT section of this web site. There is a web site called the International Society for Shockwave Therapy. They have just published a book of this subject which is very complete. ESWT is a non-surgical option for the chronic heel pain patient that hasn't reponsed to any conversative treatments.