Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasciitis-- numbing and tingling!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Tom Geiger on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043349)

I am a very active(or was) male at the age of 39 and have a bad case of plantar fasciitis. I obtained it by running with a new pair of cheap shoes in a 5K race, pushing my son in a stroller. More yet, I wasn't used to running hard, mostly on grass. I have never had foot pain.
That was 9 months ago. Deep massages hurt a few days later, which makes sense from the soft tissue soreness.
I have orthotics and special shoes for my pronation.
I have high arches.
I am about 10 pounds overweight.
I also made it worse by overstretching. I even made it worse by ignoring it for a while at the beginning.
I now use ice too and stretch mildly after.
I have had three injections in each foot from a podiatrist-- over a month ago.
I am also currently crumbling up a towel to strengthen my foot muscles.
I am also currently trying ultrasound.
But my biggest symptoms seem to be:
a)I do not have pain in the morning, but I did at the beginning several months back.
B)I have a numbness or tingling feeling when I walk. I have been working out on a semirecumbant bike for 20 minutes a day. My feet always tingle a little afterwards.
I believe the tingling is not good. If I stay on the bike more than 20 minutes the tingling gets worse.

Help!

Thomas J. Geiger
tgeiger@socal.rr.com : Email

Re: plantar fasciitis-- numbing and tingling!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043388)

Thomas,
When numbness and tingling starts to accompany PF, it is usually that the inflammation of the pF has now started to cause compression of the nerve. This usually goes away as the PF improves, especially if you haven't had it for very long. Otherwise, you may require seperate treatment for the nerve compression (tarsal tunnel syndrome).

Re: plantar fasciitis-- numbing and tingling!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/02/01 at hrmin (043388)

Thomas,
When numbness and tingling starts to accompany PF, it is usually that the inflammation of the pF has now started to cause compression of the nerve. This usually goes away as the PF improves, especially if you haven't had it for very long. Otherwise, you may require seperate treatment for the nerve compression (tarsal tunnel syndrome).