Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain medication three months after pf surgery

Posted by Marlene on 4/03/01 at 07:03 (043406)

I just want to throw this out there and see what you all think. I am three months post op for plantar fasciotomy and it still hurts so much some times i resort to taking a vicodin. Is this really unusual or what?
Nothing else touches the pain at all. My podiatrist is only concerned that I don't take it during the day and then over do it because the pain is controlled. Actually I only take one at night, when i know i will be off my feet. But now he has me thinking that i should be WAY past the vicodin stage......and i just am NOT. IT HURTS, in new and exciting ways too. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.

Re: pain medication three months after pf surgery

BrianG on 4/03/01 at 08:52 (043413)

Hi Marlene,

Only you know what your pain levels are. If you have pain, then you have it. Do not let some one try to tell you it's all in your head. Taking 1 Vicodan a day will not hurt you. I'm still taking pain meds 1.5 years after my release surgery, as it didn't help me at all. Tell your Pod he could use a course in compassion! Your not the 1st person who has a doctor reluctant to prescribe pain meds after surgery. Thankfully this problem is slowly changing in this country. Until the problem is fixed though, many people will suffer neeedlessly,

Regards
BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/03/01 at 09:06 (043417)

Hi,

I have seen many patients post-pf surgery that need pain medications months down the road. You may want to try Vicodan ES if the the vicodan plain isn't helpful you. Pain must be controlled in order to help to walk and be able to function. Just don't over do the walking if you are in pain and have to take pain pills to be able to walk alot.

marlene on 4/03/01 at 09:43 (043425)

thanks for your advice dr. z.....but what is vicodin ES???????

marlene on 4/03/01 at 09:44 (043426)

thank you brian....it's nice to have someone on my side! how awful for you though that the pf surgery didn't help. i am sorry to hear that...although i may just find the same to be true for me. here's hoping we both find some relief.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/03/01 at 14:33 (043451)

It is a stronger dosage of vicodan.

laura l on 4/04/01 at 18:48 (043620)

I am 6mths post rupture of my plantar fascia. I am still in horrible pain. I am still taking vicodin and have treated sporadically with ultram. Unfortunately, most (including both of these) are addictive. If you are taking only one a day that shouldn't be a problem. You might want to ask yourself first 'why am I taking this?' Sometimes we try to find the pain to justify our using something we have other reasons for taking. I am definetly not saying you have a problem, or that you will develop one. I just wanted to share my knowldge and experience.

I am finally treating my pf rupture and am still waiting for relief of all those new and different pains. I

Cynthia D on 4/04/01 at 19:24 (043630)

Hi Marlene, sorry you are still having so much pain. I just took my first Vicoden ES Monday after Dr. Z told me to, and yesterday, I actually had some relief. So much, I actually wept. I skipped Tues and just took 1/2 in the pm., today, my pain is about 1/2 of what it was on Monday so it definately works. Sometimes we have to do what we have to. That Vicoden sat in my medicine cabinet for ages from husband's dental surgery. No one ever touched it until now. My point to you is how about trying 1/2 of one some days, or even substituting Advil every other day with Vicoden? Maybe you'll still get relief from a little less. Don't worry about the guilt one bit. This stuff is serious pain. Sorry your surgery hasn't offered you any relief yet.

Brenda G. on 4/08/01 at 09:44 (043962)

Laura, I am a pharmacist and also ruptured my plantar fascia 6 months ago. I agree with your reply, I am not against using narcotics for pain relief but agree one should be careful that emotional needs are not being met instead. I'm replying back to you because of your statement that you are getting treatment for the rupture. Can you explain what is being done? I am very discouraged that after 6 months (the only treatment suggested is various NSAIDS, ice & orthotics) I am still unable to walk more than a few yards without extreme discomfort. I feel 'flat-footed' with no spring in my step and worry if I'll every be able to walk (my former passion and used to control my weight) 3-4 miles a day as I used to enjoy. Did you have this same 'flat-footed' feeling and are you getting better? Thanks.Brenda

Steven Maniaci on 5/07/01 at 17:20 (046954)

Vicodin ES is codene with a tyleno base. It is very effective for some types of acute and chronic pain. The usual dosage is 4 to 6 per day. ou can over dose from it. Tynleno can be toxic at high levels and people have overdosed from it. So be careful.

BrianG on 4/03/01 at 08:52 (043413)

Hi Marlene,

Only you know what your pain levels are. If you have pain, then you have it. Do not let some one try to tell you it's all in your head. Taking 1 Vicodan a day will not hurt you. I'm still taking pain meds 1.5 years after my release surgery, as it didn't help me at all. Tell your Pod he could use a course in compassion! Your not the 1st person who has a doctor reluctant to prescribe pain meds after surgery. Thankfully this problem is slowly changing in this country. Until the problem is fixed though, many people will suffer neeedlessly,

Regards
BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/03/01 at 09:06 (043417)

Hi,

I have seen many patients post-pf surgery that need pain medications months down the road. You may want to try Vicodan ES if the the vicodan plain isn't helpful you. Pain must be controlled in order to help to walk and be able to function. Just don't over do the walking if you are in pain and have to take pain pills to be able to walk alot.

marlene on 4/03/01 at 09:43 (043425)

thanks for your advice dr. z.....but what is vicodin ES???????

marlene on 4/03/01 at 09:44 (043426)

thank you brian....it's nice to have someone on my side! how awful for you though that the pf surgery didn't help. i am sorry to hear that...although i may just find the same to be true for me. here's hoping we both find some relief.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/03/01 at 14:33 (043451)

It is a stronger dosage of vicodan.

laura l on 4/04/01 at 18:48 (043620)

I am 6mths post rupture of my plantar fascia. I am still in horrible pain. I am still taking vicodin and have treated sporadically with ultram. Unfortunately, most (including both of these) are addictive. If you are taking only one a day that shouldn't be a problem. You might want to ask yourself first 'why am I taking this?' Sometimes we try to find the pain to justify our using something we have other reasons for taking. I am definetly not saying you have a problem, or that you will develop one. I just wanted to share my knowldge and experience.

I am finally treating my pf rupture and am still waiting for relief of all those new and different pains. I

Cynthia D on 4/04/01 at 19:24 (043630)

Hi Marlene, sorry you are still having so much pain. I just took my first Vicoden ES Monday after Dr. Z told me to, and yesterday, I actually had some relief. So much, I actually wept. I skipped Tues and just took 1/2 in the pm., today, my pain is about 1/2 of what it was on Monday so it definately works. Sometimes we have to do what we have to. That Vicoden sat in my medicine cabinet for ages from husband's dental surgery. No one ever touched it until now. My point to you is how about trying 1/2 of one some days, or even substituting Advil every other day with Vicoden? Maybe you'll still get relief from a little less. Don't worry about the guilt one bit. This stuff is serious pain. Sorry your surgery hasn't offered you any relief yet.

Brenda G. on 4/08/01 at 09:44 (043962)

Laura, I am a pharmacist and also ruptured my plantar fascia 6 months ago. I agree with your reply, I am not against using narcotics for pain relief but agree one should be careful that emotional needs are not being met instead. I'm replying back to you because of your statement that you are getting treatment for the rupture. Can you explain what is being done? I am very discouraged that after 6 months (the only treatment suggested is various NSAIDS, ice & orthotics) I am still unable to walk more than a few yards without extreme discomfort. I feel 'flat-footed' with no spring in my step and worry if I'll every be able to walk (my former passion and used to control my weight) 3-4 miles a day as I used to enjoy. Did you have this same 'flat-footed' feeling and are you getting better? Thanks.Brenda

Steven Maniaci on 5/07/01 at 17:20 (046954)

Vicodin ES is codene with a tyleno base. It is very effective for some types of acute and chronic pain. The usual dosage is 4 to 6 per day. ou can over dose from it. Tynleno can be toxic at high levels and people have overdosed from it. So be careful.