Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone ever had a stress fracture?

Posted by Paula on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043407)

I have posted some questions for Dr Z. and it seems my podiatrist now things about along the same lines...
I have all but burned the orthotics. I hate them and they do nothing but hurt the rest of my foot. night splints help flex my foot and that is about it.
Well, I took advice from others on here and forced the issue of having the doctor order an MRI. I will not see him until the results of that are in and we know what I have. Well, I got the order.
Now they think I could have a stress fracture. Has anyone had that and can you tell me what your symptoms were? If anyone has read my postings you know that the ace wrap used tightly helps my foot a lot! Otherwise not just my heel but the outside of my foot along the side hurts horribly.

Re: Anyone ever had a stress fracture?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/03/01 at 09:00 (043415)

Hi,

The typical pain is all the time. Increases with walking or standing. The physical examination is pain of lateral compression of the heel bone. That is pressing on the heel bone from side to side.

Paula G. on 4/03/01 at 09:12 (043419)

Thanks Dr. Z. I took your advice on the MRI. How easy it was to get it ordered when I put my foot down...so to speak...
I am trying to remember and the doctor did not really give me an exam like that. The first visit he said I did NOT need an MRI.
All I know is the ace wrap keeps pressure on my foot and I can walk with less pain..the heel hurts regardless though.

Bill E on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043421)

I've had two. One in my shin and the other in one of the small bones in my foot. The symptoms are pain when you put pressure or weight on the broken bone. They come from some kind of excess use, I got both of mine from running too hard and perhaps under the wrong conditions. They are essentially very fine fractures in a bone that do not show up (easily) on x-rays. The standard diagnosis is a 'bone scan'. This involves an injection of a radiolabelled compound that is strongly attracted to growing bone. Then they image the suspected area at different times post injection. If you have a stress fracture, it will show up as a line of activity where the fracture is located. If not the radiolabel is kind of distributed.

When my PF started up, I was afraid that it was a stress fracture and my Dr. prescribed a bone scan. In that case, there was increased activity near the heel of my foot because of the swelling and general metabolic activity in the area but there was no clear fracture line.

MRIs image soft tissue and though I suppose that a good radiologist will learn something from yours, I do not think that it will tell you anything about stress fractures.

The cure for stress fractures is immobilization or lots of rest. I was cast for the fracture in my shin but not for the one in my foot. Just recommended that I wear supportive shoes at all times.

Re: Now I am confused.

Paula on 4/03/01 at 10:22 (043427)

I thought an MRI would show everything, including stress fractures??

Bill E. on 4/03/01 at 11:50 (043435)

I am a chemist and not a radiologist but I do not think that a stress fracture will show on MRI. Unless they use some kind of imaging agent. I would speak with your Dr. or even better with an orthopedist or radiologist.

Nancy M on 4/03/01 at 20:44 (043515)

I've had two stress fractures. The fisrt one on the top of my foot and I was in a soft cast in a blue surgical shoe for about 7-8 weeks with the soft cast being changed about every two weeks. That was three years ago and I believe we found that one with x-rays. The second one, a year ago, was in my cuboid bone which is a soft bone and very hard to heal. We found that one with a bone scan. Getting that one healed was fun - two weeks in a cast on crutches, no weight, then another two weeks in a soft cast with a cam walker, still on crutches with no weight. After that it was still a soft cast with cam walker and slowly putting weight on it. Then still in a soft cast and cam walker for several months. Then just the cam walker. I actually had something on my foot for 5 months (April through September) to heal that one. Had another bone scan to make sure it was healed. As for symptoms, it just hurt all the time.

Nancy M in AZ

Paula G. on 4/04/01 at 08:28 (043541)

Thanks for the info Nancy. I have my MRI scheduled for one week from today. Actually, I was not this bad until wearing the orthotics. They have injured the outer part of my foot. I could tell when I had them on.
But the doctor told me to keep on wearing them. He never even checked to see if they were fitting right.
That was why I was thinking stress fracture there. Because the majority of my pain now is NOT my heel. I just thank God that my right foot has not gotten bad to compensate for the left.
But, I am wrapping my foot snugly and that helps so much.

Re: doctors and orthotics

Nancy N on 4/04/01 at 08:59 (043544)

Paula, I can so relate when you say your doc told you to keep wearing the orthotics and didn't check to see how they fit. My ex-pod (who left his group before I realized I should have found someone else--I liked him, and think he tried his best, but he just wasn't with it on the orthotics) insisted that nothing could be wrong with the ones he got for me. And the only thing I can use mine for is either to scrape ice off my windsheild or knock out an intruder. I just got new ones from a pedorthist who has really taken his time with me and has assured me that we'll work on them until we get them right. Guess which pair I'm happier with??

Re: Hey Nancy

Paula G. on 4/04/01 at hrmin (043608)

I have to laugh about the new use for your old orthotics. Good idea to scrape the windshield off!! I laughed so hard. I have taken my treatment into my own hands and uses what works right now until after the MRI.
I got my foot ace wrapped and I just bought a flex aid that goes on my ankle and around my heel. For support. It feels good so I do it..
I hate those orthotics. They are so hard. How on earth is that suppose to help with PF and spurs? I can see making you walk straighter maybe if you don't walk right, which our doctors have no idea because they never watched us walk.....Can't they look at our shoe and get an idea of how we walk.
Who knows huh?

Nancy N on 4/04/01 at 20:29 (043639)

Paula--

I think Richard originally came up with the ice scrapers idea, to give proper credit--but it's a good idea! It's my understanding that orthotics don't have to be rock hard to control your gait--the pedorthist who made mine cringed when he saw my old ones and would never use anything like the hard plastic they're made from.

Paula G on 4/05/01 at 08:59 (043678)

Sounds like my old ones...They are collecting dust somewhere. I must admit I have thrown them more than once!

Joe P on 4/08/01 at hrmin (043991)

I have been diagnosed with a stress fracture, started with bone spur's,plantar fascia. I've had xrays, bone scan and just had an MRI. I'm waiting for the results. Will find out on 4/11/01. I am in terrible pain, can hardly walk and my job is in retail. I have to work so I'm on it about 6hrs a day sometimes 9 hrs. Even tried the Dolgit cream. Have been on Piroxcam, Naproxyn, Tylenol with Codene and nothing takes the pain away. Plus my leg gets swellen. Just moving my sock you can see how swollen it gets or if you press on it. Nothing seems to help. Can Dr. Zuckerman make any suggestions. Have thought about the Ossontron but it's not in the Massachusetts area.

Carrie on 4/10/01 at 08:19 (044156)

have you ever had ultrasound treatment on your foot? If you have, and you did not go through the roof with pain from the machine when it was being moved over your foot then you probably do not have a stress fracture. This is what my physiotherapist told me anyway!

T on 4/10/01 at 08:21 (044157)

how about using them to pick up dog shit?!

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/03/01 at 09:00 (043415)

Hi,

The typical pain is all the time. Increases with walking or standing. The physical examination is pain of lateral compression of the heel bone. That is pressing on the heel bone from side to side.

Paula G. on 4/03/01 at 09:12 (043419)

Thanks Dr. Z. I took your advice on the MRI. How easy it was to get it ordered when I put my foot down...so to speak...
I am trying to remember and the doctor did not really give me an exam like that. The first visit he said I did NOT need an MRI.
All I know is the ace wrap keeps pressure on my foot and I can walk with less pain..the heel hurts regardless though.

Bill E on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043421)

I've had two. One in my shin and the other in one of the small bones in my foot. The symptoms are pain when you put pressure or weight on the broken bone. They come from some kind of excess use, I got both of mine from running too hard and perhaps under the wrong conditions. They are essentially very fine fractures in a bone that do not show up (easily) on x-rays. The standard diagnosis is a 'bone scan'. This involves an injection of a radiolabelled compound that is strongly attracted to growing bone. Then they image the suspected area at different times post injection. If you have a stress fracture, it will show up as a line of activity where the fracture is located. If not the radiolabel is kind of distributed.

When my PF started up, I was afraid that it was a stress fracture and my Dr. prescribed a bone scan. In that case, there was increased activity near the heel of my foot because of the swelling and general metabolic activity in the area but there was no clear fracture line.

MRIs image soft tissue and though I suppose that a good radiologist will learn something from yours, I do not think that it will tell you anything about stress fractures.

The cure for stress fractures is immobilization or lots of rest. I was cast for the fracture in my shin but not for the one in my foot. Just recommended that I wear supportive shoes at all times.

Paula on 4/03/01 at 10:22 (043427)

I thought an MRI would show everything, including stress fractures??

Bill E. on 4/03/01 at 11:50 (043435)

I am a chemist and not a radiologist but I do not think that a stress fracture will show on MRI. Unless they use some kind of imaging agent. I would speak with your Dr. or even better with an orthopedist or radiologist.

Nancy M on 4/03/01 at 20:44 (043515)

I've had two stress fractures. The fisrt one on the top of my foot and I was in a soft cast in a blue surgical shoe for about 7-8 weeks with the soft cast being changed about every two weeks. That was three years ago and I believe we found that one with x-rays. The second one, a year ago, was in my cuboid bone which is a soft bone and very hard to heal. We found that one with a bone scan. Getting that one healed was fun - two weeks in a cast on crutches, no weight, then another two weeks in a soft cast with a cam walker, still on crutches with no weight. After that it was still a soft cast with cam walker and slowly putting weight on it. Then still in a soft cast and cam walker for several months. Then just the cam walker. I actually had something on my foot for 5 months (April through September) to heal that one. Had another bone scan to make sure it was healed. As for symptoms, it just hurt all the time.

Nancy M in AZ

Paula G. on 4/04/01 at 08:28 (043541)

Thanks for the info Nancy. I have my MRI scheduled for one week from today. Actually, I was not this bad until wearing the orthotics. They have injured the outer part of my foot. I could tell when I had them on.
But the doctor told me to keep on wearing them. He never even checked to see if they were fitting right.
That was why I was thinking stress fracture there. Because the majority of my pain now is NOT my heel. I just thank God that my right foot has not gotten bad to compensate for the left.
But, I am wrapping my foot snugly and that helps so much.

Re: doctors and orthotics

Nancy N on 4/04/01 at 08:59 (043544)

Paula, I can so relate when you say your doc told you to keep wearing the orthotics and didn't check to see how they fit. My ex-pod (who left his group before I realized I should have found someone else--I liked him, and think he tried his best, but he just wasn't with it on the orthotics) insisted that nothing could be wrong with the ones he got for me. And the only thing I can use mine for is either to scrape ice off my windsheild or knock out an intruder. I just got new ones from a pedorthist who has really taken his time with me and has assured me that we'll work on them until we get them right. Guess which pair I'm happier with??

Paula G. on 4/04/01 at hrmin (043608)

I have to laugh about the new use for your old orthotics. Good idea to scrape the windshield off!! I laughed so hard. I have taken my treatment into my own hands and uses what works right now until after the MRI.
I got my foot ace wrapped and I just bought a flex aid that goes on my ankle and around my heel. For support. It feels good so I do it..
I hate those orthotics. They are so hard. How on earth is that suppose to help with PF and spurs? I can see making you walk straighter maybe if you don't walk right, which our doctors have no idea because they never watched us walk.....Can't they look at our shoe and get an idea of how we walk.
Who knows huh?

Nancy N on 4/04/01 at 20:29 (043639)

Paula--

I think Richard originally came up with the ice scrapers idea, to give proper credit--but it's a good idea! It's my understanding that orthotics don't have to be rock hard to control your gait--the pedorthist who made mine cringed when he saw my old ones and would never use anything like the hard plastic they're made from.

Paula G on 4/05/01 at 08:59 (043678)

Sounds like my old ones...They are collecting dust somewhere. I must admit I have thrown them more than once!

Joe P on 4/08/01 at hrmin (043991)

I have been diagnosed with a stress fracture, started with bone spur's,plantar fascia. I've had xrays, bone scan and just had an MRI. I'm waiting for the results. Will find out on 4/11/01. I am in terrible pain, can hardly walk and my job is in retail. I have to work so I'm on it about 6hrs a day sometimes 9 hrs. Even tried the Dolgit cream. Have been on Piroxcam, Naproxyn, Tylenol with Codene and nothing takes the pain away. Plus my leg gets swellen. Just moving my sock you can see how swollen it gets or if you press on it. Nothing seems to help. Can Dr. Zuckerman make any suggestions. Have thought about the Ossontron but it's not in the Massachusetts area.

Carrie on 4/10/01 at 08:19 (044156)

have you ever had ultrasound treatment on your foot? If you have, and you did not go through the roof with pain from the machine when it was being moved over your foot then you probably do not have a stress fracture. This is what my physiotherapist told me anyway!

T on 4/10/01 at 08:21 (044157)

how about using them to pick up dog shit?!