Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ultram

Posted by john h on 4/03/01 at 12:48 (043442)

about 1 month ago i started taking Ultram (50mg ) two times a day for low back pain. My back pain is much better and i have tried many drugs with no help. My feet are also much better. Whether the Ultram has anything to do with it i do not know. This is primarly a pain medication and not as tough on your stomach as some NASIDS. It might be worth a try if your meds are not helping.

Re: Ultram

Nancy N on 4/03/01 at 13:55 (043447)

John, is this something you get OTC, or is it a prescription? I'm glad it's helping.

GinaC on 4/03/01 at 15:14 (043456)

It probably is the ultram reducing pain in both back and feet. I was prescribed ultram for foot pain, but it dropped my blood pressure so low, so fast, that I passed out. That was the end of ultram for me!

Laurie R on 4/03/01 at 17:00 (043471)

Hi John,
I am happy to hear that your pain is down.... Does the Ultram make you feel fuuny, or high?? The reason I ask is I can't handle thoes side affects. Also I have been taking Vicodin ES for a while and I htink something stronger for my pain. Thanks ,Laurie R

john h on 4/03/01 at 18:39 (043495)

it is prescription. i really cannot say this is the reason my feet and back are better but it may be. i can stop taking the drug & see what happens but at the moment i like feeling good.

john h on 4/03/01 at 18:40 (043496)

i feel nothing but less pain with Ultram. I am taking 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night which is not a lot.

john h on 4/03/01 at 18:41 (043497)

my blood pressure remains where it usuall is 120/73 with a resting pulse of 73.

paula gr on 4/03/01 at 19:13 (043499)

my pod offered me ultrum but also told me it is an opiate and potentially addicting so i said no. if he is wrong and it helps the pain, i'd consider it. anyone know about this?

rekha on 4/04/01 at 01:38 (043531)

I also asked my dr for this and he refused, saying it was addicting. It is an anelgesic or opioid medicine that has the possibility of addiction.

Re: That's a great blood pressure, but....

GinaC on 4/04/01 at 08:08 (043538)

....I, personally, never had a chance to check my blood pressure cause I passed out after taking ultram for the second time. Scared the daylights out of my then-12-year-old daughter when I fell over onto her in church. I was told that when I came too, my blood pressure was still so low that paramedics started an IV for fluids and took me to the emergency room, where I finally started to feel like myself. Was tested to rule out heart problems and both the ER doc and my PCP, who I saw the next day, agreed that the ultram was the culprit. Fainting and/or lightheadness are listed as a possible side effects in the PDR.

BrianG on 4/04/01 at 11:04 (043553)

Ultram is not a true narcotic, but it is regulated. I wouldn't be afraid of addiction, if it's going to help you with the pain. Most doctors will start you out with a low dose, then titrate you up if necessary. When it's time to stop the meds, you'll want to slowly cut back with a taper schedule. There will be very little withdrawal symptoms, if any. One thing to remember, less than 2% off the patients who take narcotics for pain control, become addicted. The minority of people that do become addicted, are people that have an addictive personality to begin with. If you've never had problems with pain meds in the past, I wouldn't worry about these types of issues if it's going to bring you pain relief.

Regards
BCG

john h on 4/04/01 at 11:39 (043554)

Ultram (chemical name: Tramadol) is a synthetic analgesic to treat pain. It IS NOT a narcotic or it is not a non sterodial anti inflamatory. There have been reported cases of dependance but this is not the norm. It is used to treat moderate to severe pain and can be very effective for some people while some may experience some side effects as with any medication. I think i read there are over 1 million prescriptions written a year in the U.S. It basically blocks the pain signals from reaching the brain. I have been taking it for about a month and it may be the most effective pain med for my back i have ever taken (25 years) and that includes medrol which is a narcotic. I will stop taking it for a week and see if there is anything to report to you in the way of withdrawal or if my pain returns when i stop. i really do not expect any withdrawal as i am only taking 2 50mg tabs a day which is 1/3 the recommend dose.

john h on 4/04/01 at 11:46 (043555)

brian you are very correct in that if you do not have an addictive personality there is not much chance of getting hooked even on narcotics. i have taken morophine and other poweful drugs in a hospital setting and they are nothing that made me feel good or want more. i have never taken any drug that put me on some sort of high. if you can find a drug that can alleviate your never ending pain it is certainly worth a try as the results of endless pain is severe depression and a vastly altered lifestyle that effects you and all those around you.

Lynda S on 4/06/01 at 18:18 (043865)

I have been using Ultram for about three years now for my PF. I usually take it about an hour before I know I will be on my feet for any prolonged amount of time, like grocery shopping, etc. It definitely helps. I don't use it around the clock, though, as I'm afraid I'll become immune to its benefits.

Jay on 5/01/01 at 13:15 (046360)

How can you not like to feel 'funny' when you are taking Vicodin ES, which is a narcotic that makes you feel more than funny. Ultram is not a narcotic, but does make you feel high-a good one. Don't be ashamed to admit that you like the feeling. That's what pain killers do. If you can take Vicodin ES, then Ultram is a piece of cake. Try it! The side effects are minimal and it kills pain better than Vicodin. It is not classified as a narcotic, but it can cause dependance in some people.

JAY on 5/01/01 at 13:17 (046361)

This drug is not regulated. Only narcotics are regulated. Ultram is not a narcotic, but has a potential for addiction.

Nancy N on 4/03/01 at 13:55 (043447)

John, is this something you get OTC, or is it a prescription? I'm glad it's helping.

GinaC on 4/03/01 at 15:14 (043456)

It probably is the ultram reducing pain in both back and feet. I was prescribed ultram for foot pain, but it dropped my blood pressure so low, so fast, that I passed out. That was the end of ultram for me!

Laurie R on 4/03/01 at 17:00 (043471)

Hi John,
I am happy to hear that your pain is down.... Does the Ultram make you feel fuuny, or high?? The reason I ask is I can't handle thoes side affects. Also I have been taking Vicodin ES for a while and I htink something stronger for my pain. Thanks ,Laurie R

john h on 4/03/01 at 18:39 (043495)

it is prescription. i really cannot say this is the reason my feet and back are better but it may be. i can stop taking the drug & see what happens but at the moment i like feeling good.

john h on 4/03/01 at 18:40 (043496)

i feel nothing but less pain with Ultram. I am taking 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night which is not a lot.

john h on 4/03/01 at 18:41 (043497)

my blood pressure remains where it usuall is 120/73 with a resting pulse of 73.

paula gr on 4/03/01 at 19:13 (043499)

my pod offered me ultrum but also told me it is an opiate and potentially addicting so i said no. if he is wrong and it helps the pain, i'd consider it. anyone know about this?

rekha on 4/04/01 at 01:38 (043531)

I also asked my dr for this and he refused, saying it was addicting. It is an anelgesic or opioid medicine that has the possibility of addiction.

Re: That's a great blood pressure, but....

GinaC on 4/04/01 at 08:08 (043538)

....I, personally, never had a chance to check my blood pressure cause I passed out after taking ultram for the second time. Scared the daylights out of my then-12-year-old daughter when I fell over onto her in church. I was told that when I came too, my blood pressure was still so low that paramedics started an IV for fluids and took me to the emergency room, where I finally started to feel like myself. Was tested to rule out heart problems and both the ER doc and my PCP, who I saw the next day, agreed that the ultram was the culprit. Fainting and/or lightheadness are listed as a possible side effects in the PDR.

BrianG on 4/04/01 at 11:04 (043553)

Ultram is not a true narcotic, but it is regulated. I wouldn't be afraid of addiction, if it's going to help you with the pain. Most doctors will start you out with a low dose, then titrate you up if necessary. When it's time to stop the meds, you'll want to slowly cut back with a taper schedule. There will be very little withdrawal symptoms, if any. One thing to remember, less than 2% off the patients who take narcotics for pain control, become addicted. The minority of people that do become addicted, are people that have an addictive personality to begin with. If you've never had problems with pain meds in the past, I wouldn't worry about these types of issues if it's going to bring you pain relief.

Regards
BCG

john h on 4/04/01 at 11:39 (043554)

Ultram (chemical name: Tramadol) is a synthetic analgesic to treat pain. It IS NOT a narcotic or it is not a non sterodial anti inflamatory. There have been reported cases of dependance but this is not the norm. It is used to treat moderate to severe pain and can be very effective for some people while some may experience some side effects as with any medication. I think i read there are over 1 million prescriptions written a year in the U.S. It basically blocks the pain signals from reaching the brain. I have been taking it for about a month and it may be the most effective pain med for my back i have ever taken (25 years) and that includes medrol which is a narcotic. I will stop taking it for a week and see if there is anything to report to you in the way of withdrawal or if my pain returns when i stop. i really do not expect any withdrawal as i am only taking 2 50mg tabs a day which is 1/3 the recommend dose.

john h on 4/04/01 at 11:46 (043555)

brian you are very correct in that if you do not have an addictive personality there is not much chance of getting hooked even on narcotics. i have taken morophine and other poweful drugs in a hospital setting and they are nothing that made me feel good or want more. i have never taken any drug that put me on some sort of high. if you can find a drug that can alleviate your never ending pain it is certainly worth a try as the results of endless pain is severe depression and a vastly altered lifestyle that effects you and all those around you.

Lynda S on 4/06/01 at 18:18 (043865)

I have been using Ultram for about three years now for my PF. I usually take it about an hour before I know I will be on my feet for any prolonged amount of time, like grocery shopping, etc. It definitely helps. I don't use it around the clock, though, as I'm afraid I'll become immune to its benefits.

Jay on 5/01/01 at 13:15 (046360)

How can you not like to feel 'funny' when you are taking Vicodin ES, which is a narcotic that makes you feel more than funny. Ultram is not a narcotic, but does make you feel high-a good one. Don't be ashamed to admit that you like the feeling. That's what pain killers do. If you can take Vicodin ES, then Ultram is a piece of cake. Try it! The side effects are minimal and it kills pain better than Vicodin. It is not classified as a narcotic, but it can cause dependance in some people.

JAY on 5/01/01 at 13:17 (046361)

This drug is not regulated. Only narcotics are regulated. Ultram is not a narcotic, but has a potential for addiction.