Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My ESWT Experience...so far

Posted by Beth D. on 4/03/01 at 15:53 (043460)

Hi gang,

Last Saturday I was thoroughly examined and then given the ESWT treatment at Dr. Zuckerman's office in Woodbury, NJ. For two years I have had conflicting diagnoses and have never had the typical first step pain. I have tried most conservative treatments-pt, ice/heat, one cortizone shot, walking cast for 6 weeks, anti-inflammatories, nightsplint, rest, and orthotics. After reading on this site for the past 18 months, I feel that Dr. Z. knows his field well and I respected his willingness to learn about and use the ESWT method. I appreciated the time and information I received from Dr. Z. and his staff. My questions going in were: was I a candidate? and what is my diagnosis? The exam and the discussion discerned that yes, I do have PF and yes, I was a candidate for the treatment. So, my foot was put on the machine and the machine was turned on and 3000 shocks later I was done! Overall the pain was considerably less than the emg testing the neurologist did to determine TTS. My foot felt sligtly warm when it was done-that has passed.

It's been 3 days and I've been taking it real easy. I walk around the house a bit and drove today. I haven't needed any pain meds, I've been soaking in hot water, and I've been staying off my feet most of the time. I'm allowed to bike (but haven't) and don't need to wear the nightsplint anymore. Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep without it-I guess I'll have to wean myself off of it-who'd of thought! I'll keep you all updated and appreciate reading everyone's situations.

Thanks again to Dr. Zuckerman.

Beth

Re: My ESWT Experience...so far

Rose L. on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043467)

Hi, Beth. I'm a new contributor to the message board. I made some recent posts regarding my trip to Canada for ESWT - last of my four treatments was Sunday, March 25. Our profiles sound similar...and we're both in the very early healing period as are many others out there. I'm also laying low and just walking a bit around the house. My feet are pretty inflamed from the treatments! I'm hoping for the best. Best of luck to you too!
Rose

Steve P on 4/03/01 at 16:58 (043470)

Hi Beth --- You were at Dr. Z's 5 days after I was. I've experienced no change so far, but am hoping for something in the 6-12 week window.

As BarbTX put it, Dr. Z has a good 'zap-side manner', doesn't he?

Best...........Steve

Sherrie M. on 4/04/01 at hrmin (043543)

Hi Beth, I also saw Dr.Z on Sat.3-31-01 for my first ESWT treatment.I also went thru all other treatment option for about a year before having surgery in Aug.2000. I thought my recovery was just going to be longer than others, when all of the sudden I was in extreme pain again! I got in touch with Dr.Z. last Fri. and was scheduled for my first treatment the next day. So far no improvement, but I am keeping the faith as we all should, that this awful pain will go away. I am very interested in your progess as well, I'll be watching for your postings.Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us pf sufferers! Sherrie

Re: To Rose My ESWT Experience...so far

Pauline on 4/04/01 at 12:39 (043563)

Rose,
Which machine was used for your treatment in Canada?

Rose L on 4/04/01 at hrmin (043571)

Hi, Pauline,

The Bayshore ESWT clinic in Markham Ontario uses the Siemens Sonocur. I had four treatments, each a day apart. No anaesthesia required (painful, but not unbearable), clinic setting. 12 days post ESWT. Will keep you posted. Rose

Kate on 4/04/01 at 15:46 (043594)

I had my first tx. right before Thanksgiving and the second right before Christmas. Since my second treatment, my activity has increased tremendously. Before my first treatment my pain was at about an 8, after the 1st tx went down to about a 5 or 6. After the second treatment I am at about a 3. Some days with no pain at all! I've found that while the pain from the heel spur is basically not there, I have been having some on again off again bouts of tendonitits, which are relived by wearing my futuro support and taking vioxx.

Re: Hi Cheerkat! Good to hear from you........eom.

Steve P on 4/04/01 at 16:30 (043599)

Lori E. on 4/04/01 at 17:06 (043602)

Kate,
I am glad to hear that you are doing so well after your treatment! I hope all is going well with you otherwise. I had my two visits to get ESWT from Dr. Z and am at about a 3 average pain level too. Now if we could just get it down to a 0! It is good to hear from you again. Don't make yourself such a stranger on the board.

Re: Hi Kate it's your doctor

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 19:05 (043625)

IF you feel that you ever need a third treatment be very happy to evaluate and treatment you. Are you getting near the twelve week post ESWT period . The orbasone runs like a Ferrari. We have a heavy duty generator that keeps running and running. We put alot of shocks on the orbasone so it need tune ups and we have no problems with Dr. Mark tuning this machine. He is the master at working on the Ferrari

Kate on 4/05/01 at 09:26 (043688)

Good to hear from you, I just might take you up on that. You finally got the generator? I'm glad to hear it. And Yes, Dr. Mark is the master!
Give the orby a hug for me!

Re: To Lori .........

Kate on 4/05/01 at 09:30 (043689)

Lori,
I visit the boards often, but sometimes I can't get the lap top to work right so that I can post. (I am a little computer challenged!)
And some days after patient hours when my feet are kind of screaming, I wonder what they would be doing if I hadn't been zapped. I was pleasantly surprised that after playing two sets of tennis last weekend, I wasn't dying in pain. I have this tendonitis that keeps rearing its ugly head, but I'm able to calm it down pretty quickly with vioxx ( gotta love that drug!)
Hugs to you and Thor...........hope you're doing well!

Kate

JudyS on 4/05/01 at 13:16 (043718)

A Ferrari, huh? Sounds good - as long as Dr. Lewi isn't driving it...

K. Borton on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044145)

How long do you need to take off from work after receiving ESWT treatment? Especially if you have a physicaly demanding job that requires standing on your feet for extended periods of time or having to run with no warming up or stretching before hand?

Mary M. on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044148)

Hi Lori, I'm scheduled for an ossatron treatment in 2 weeks. Like you, I am a tennis player but I haven't played since Dec.2000. My doctor says it will another 3 months before I can play again. I was glad to hear that you are playing again. Wish me luck!! Enjoy your tennis. Gernie

Rose L. on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043467)

Hi, Beth. I'm a new contributor to the message board. I made some recent posts regarding my trip to Canada for ESWT - last of my four treatments was Sunday, March 25. Our profiles sound similar...and we're both in the very early healing period as are many others out there. I'm also laying low and just walking a bit around the house. My feet are pretty inflamed from the treatments! I'm hoping for the best. Best of luck to you too!
Rose

Steve P on 4/03/01 at 16:58 (043470)

Hi Beth --- You were at Dr. Z's 5 days after I was. I've experienced no change so far, but am hoping for something in the 6-12 week window.

As BarbTX put it, Dr. Z has a good 'zap-side manner', doesn't he?

Best...........Steve

Sherrie M. on 4/04/01 at hrmin (043543)

Hi Beth, I also saw Dr.Z on Sat.3-31-01 for my first ESWT treatment.I also went thru all other treatment option for about a year before having surgery in Aug.2000. I thought my recovery was just going to be longer than others, when all of the sudden I was in extreme pain again! I got in touch with Dr.Z. last Fri. and was scheduled for my first treatment the next day. So far no improvement, but I am keeping the faith as we all should, that this awful pain will go away. I am very interested in your progess as well, I'll be watching for your postings.Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us pf sufferers! Sherrie

Pauline on 4/04/01 at 12:39 (043563)

Rose,
Which machine was used for your treatment in Canada?

Rose L on 4/04/01 at hrmin (043571)

Hi, Pauline,

The Bayshore ESWT clinic in Markham Ontario uses the Siemens Sonocur. I had four treatments, each a day apart. No anaesthesia required (painful, but not unbearable), clinic setting. 12 days post ESWT. Will keep you posted. Rose

Kate on 4/04/01 at 15:46 (043594)

I had my first tx. right before Thanksgiving and the second right before Christmas. Since my second treatment, my activity has increased tremendously. Before my first treatment my pain was at about an 8, after the 1st tx went down to about a 5 or 6. After the second treatment I am at about a 3. Some days with no pain at all! I've found that while the pain from the heel spur is basically not there, I have been having some on again off again bouts of tendonitits, which are relived by wearing my futuro support and taking vioxx.

Re: Hi Cheerkat! Good to hear from you........eom.

Steve P on 4/04/01 at 16:30 (043599)

Lori E. on 4/04/01 at 17:06 (043602)

Kate,
I am glad to hear that you are doing so well after your treatment! I hope all is going well with you otherwise. I had my two visits to get ESWT from Dr. Z and am at about a 3 average pain level too. Now if we could just get it down to a 0! It is good to hear from you again. Don't make yourself such a stranger on the board.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 19:05 (043625)

IF you feel that you ever need a third treatment be very happy to evaluate and treatment you. Are you getting near the twelve week post ESWT period . The orbasone runs like a Ferrari. We have a heavy duty generator that keeps running and running. We put alot of shocks on the orbasone so it need tune ups and we have no problems with Dr. Mark tuning this machine. He is the master at working on the Ferrari

Kate on 4/05/01 at 09:26 (043688)

Good to hear from you, I just might take you up on that. You finally got the generator? I'm glad to hear it. And Yes, Dr. Mark is the master!
Give the orby a hug for me!

Kate on 4/05/01 at 09:30 (043689)

Lori,
I visit the boards often, but sometimes I can't get the lap top to work right so that I can post. (I am a little computer challenged!)
And some days after patient hours when my feet are kind of screaming, I wonder what they would be doing if I hadn't been zapped. I was pleasantly surprised that after playing two sets of tennis last weekend, I wasn't dying in pain. I have this tendonitis that keeps rearing its ugly head, but I'm able to calm it down pretty quickly with vioxx ( gotta love that drug!)
Hugs to you and Thor...........hope you're doing well!

Kate

JudyS on 4/05/01 at 13:16 (043718)

A Ferrari, huh? Sounds good - as long as Dr. Lewi isn't driving it...

K. Borton on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044145)

How long do you need to take off from work after receiving ESWT treatment? Especially if you have a physicaly demanding job that requires standing on your feet for extended periods of time or having to run with no warming up or stretching before hand?

Mary M. on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044148)

Hi Lori, I'm scheduled for an ossatron treatment in 2 weeks. Like you, I am a tennis player but I haven't played since Dec.2000. My doctor says it will another 3 months before I can play again. I was glad to hear that you are playing again. Wish me luck!! Enjoy your tennis. Gernie