Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have the time; please help me do this right.

Posted by Valerie S on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043468)

Hi.
I have been struggling with the decision to take time off from my job, which requires me to be on my feet all day. I have been off work for 2 weeks now, just got a 3 week extension on this medical leave from my podiatrist. I am also going to Physical Therapy 3x a week.

My question is regarding how much I should be doing / getting on my feet. My PT tells me it is good to get up and down frequently to keep everything flexible. My pain level is a lot lower because I am not on my feet all day, so I am tempted to at least do SOMETHING. I have foot/ankle strengthening exercises that I do, but how much weight-bearing should I be doing? Do I stop as soon as I have ANY pain? How do I know how much is too much?

I took this time off in hopes of getting better. Any advice you can give me in regards to the amount of activity I should be attempting would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Val.

Re: I have the time; please help me do this right.

Julie on 4/04/01 at 15:31 (043589)

Val, until you get an answer from one of the doctors, I'd be inclined to caution you against any weight-bearing stretching right now. Gently does it, until you notice significant improvement. As for general activity, I think it probably is best to watch your pain levels and stop doing whatever is causing you pain. Pain with PF is a sign that the fascia is being re-injured. So stay off the feet as much as you can - which really means no non-essential activity.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 18:44 (043617)

Hi,

I am glad that you are using a physical therapist. Non-weighting stretching is the first line of treatment for you. Walking as tolerated is very good. Swimming is perfect if you have the acess to a pool. If not then light walking around the block is very good. Must not walk thru the pain. Talk to your pt person they will be able to evaluate your ability to increase your progress.

I am here to advice and help . Each day will get better and each day your ability to increase activity will be better. Just listen to your pain.

Julie on 4/04/01 at 15:31 (043589)

Val, until you get an answer from one of the doctors, I'd be inclined to caution you against any weight-bearing stretching right now. Gently does it, until you notice significant improvement. As for general activity, I think it probably is best to watch your pain levels and stop doing whatever is causing you pain. Pain with PF is a sign that the fascia is being re-injured. So stay off the feet as much as you can - which really means no non-essential activity.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 18:44 (043617)

Hi,

I am glad that you are using a physical therapist. Non-weighting stretching is the first line of treatment for you. Walking as tolerated is very good. Swimming is perfect if you have the acess to a pool. If not then light walking around the block is very good. Must not walk thru the pain. Talk to your pt person they will be able to evaluate your ability to increase your progress.

I am here to advice and help . Each day will get better and each day your ability to increase activity will be better. Just listen to your pain.