Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

the dreaded dr visit...

Posted by Dona on 4/03/01 at 17:24 (043480)

...went about as I envisioned. He took an xray and it showed rather clearly a good-sized spur on the right heel. He gave my options at this point as follows: a cortisone injection or 2 weeks of bi-weekly PT sessions with cortisone cream (and whatever else they do for PT). (I had told him I did the ice, the heel cushions, and the stretching already, and how the ankle support had seemingly caused other pain even tho it helped initally.) Since we are going on vacation next week, and I am heartily sick of the pain, and I don't want to be accused of being a wimp ALL my life, I told him I'd try the injection. It was my first, and will be my last; we'll leave it at that. When I asked what happens if this doesn't fix the problem, he just said we'd see where I am in two weeks, so I made the appointment. I am sincerely hoping this will eventually get rid of the pain, but I will never have another injection, even if it doesn't. I'm curious (now that I'm home and no longer so nervous) what the next set of options might be. Any hints?

Re: the dreaded dr visit...

Tammi on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043488)

Oh Dona,
My heart goes out to you!!!! I know exactly how you must be feeling,And when you start to learn about this pf and the heel spurs it gets scary yet.
I am new at this stuff to and like you I had the wonderful cotisone injection. I am to get one this fri. and I sort of zoned in on your heading
it is exactly how I feel. I hope the cortisone helps you,and the physical thereapy. I can say one thing to you from what I have been learning
This site is mostly wonderful for help or just a shoulder to lean on there are allot of wonderful people here,also I should warn you there
may be some who may try to scare you and tell you wrong things and make you feel bad,dont bite into that like I did. Listen to what is wrote here and ask your questions as they give great advice as I am learning. I never even heard of heel spurs or pf till my drs. told me I had it,and in less then 2 weeks I have learned a awful lot.And it all goes to the people of this site they will help educate you of all treatments available and listen to you when you are down or discouraged!!! I hope the shot will have helped u and u have a speedy recovery!!!!! Have a wonderful vacation.

Beth D. on 4/03/01 at 18:27 (043494)

Hi Dona,

Did you see the movie Any Given Sunday with Al Pacino? It's about a football team. I'll never forget the doctor on the team giving cortisone shots to the players right before they went out on the field. The doctor knew they'd had too much, but they HAD to play and didn't want pain!

Anyway, I resisted getting a cortisone shot for a year. Until then, I'd tried orthotics, anti-inflammatories, and birks. I felt that a shot was the next least invasive step (and my podiatrist was so insistent that it would help). It didn't seem to help me at all. From there I went to physical therapy for about 6 weeks-with the cortisone treatment. My next step was a cast for 6 weeks followed by a night splint and a UCB orthotic (very expensive orthotic). I used those for 6 months to no avail. The last thing I tried (recently) was ESWT. I'm still waiting to see the results of that. I know it's hard to try something and have it fail and I know it's frustrating; but if we're going to stay in the game we've got to keep trying!

Best,

Beth

Valerie S on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043500)

Hi Dona,

What a way to start out your vacation!

I'm sorry to hear the injection was so traumatic for you. There is still the possibility that it will help ease your pain. I really hope it does. Injections have helped some people.

My treatments so far have consisted of taping, icing, stretching, custom orthotics (but they're still not right), 2 injections (1st one helped for 4 days, 2nd one gave no relief). I am now in Physical Therapy, where I have ultrasound (no cortizone), stretching, and massage. I am still trying to find out what will help me, but have high hopes for the PT.

I know how hard it is to be patient with this process, but unfortunately I have learned that the phrase 'we will see how you are in 3 weeks' has become a catch phrase in my care. I know how frustrating it is, not knowing what to do or what will work. I am trying to convince myself that I am making slow slow progress toward recovery, so slow I don't know it's happening. It's easy to succumb to the depression and despair that comes along with chronic pain. I have found a lot of information and support here, and have found that it helps make the waiting time a little more bearable too.

Take it easy.
Val

Re: the dreaded dr visit...thanks

Dona on 4/04/01 at 18:53 (043622)

Thanks for the encouragement. It feels a little better tonight, soreness when standing on it and at the back of the heel (hmmmm...new place). I think it will probably feel even better tomorrow, after icing it tonight. Sometimes, going in forewarned is not all it's cracked up to be. I was somewhat surprised at how painful the shot was, after reading in the PF Book that if done right, it shouldn't be THAT painful. And after making sure the dr knew how skittish I was over the injection in the first place. Oh well. I'm hoping this will be the last of it (can we all hear me singing 'HIGH hopes, she's got....HIGH hopes....high apple-pie-ie-in-the-sky-yi hopes....'). At least, the heel pain had been masking some of the knee pain, which is now back in full force. Darn. I feel like the little boy with his finger in the dyke, watching one leak stop as another starts up.

Tammi on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043488)

Oh Dona,
My heart goes out to you!!!! I know exactly how you must be feeling,And when you start to learn about this pf and the heel spurs it gets scary yet.
I am new at this stuff to and like you I had the wonderful cotisone injection. I am to get one this fri. and I sort of zoned in on your heading
it is exactly how I feel. I hope the cortisone helps you,and the physical thereapy. I can say one thing to you from what I have been learning
This site is mostly wonderful for help or just a shoulder to lean on there are allot of wonderful people here,also I should warn you there
may be some who may try to scare you and tell you wrong things and make you feel bad,dont bite into that like I did. Listen to what is wrote here and ask your questions as they give great advice as I am learning. I never even heard of heel spurs or pf till my drs. told me I had it,and in less then 2 weeks I have learned a awful lot.And it all goes to the people of this site they will help educate you of all treatments available and listen to you when you are down or discouraged!!! I hope the shot will have helped u and u have a speedy recovery!!!!! Have a wonderful vacation.

Beth D. on 4/03/01 at 18:27 (043494)

Hi Dona,

Did you see the movie Any Given Sunday with Al Pacino? It's about a football team. I'll never forget the doctor on the team giving cortisone shots to the players right before they went out on the field. The doctor knew they'd had too much, but they HAD to play and didn't want pain!

Anyway, I resisted getting a cortisone shot for a year. Until then, I'd tried orthotics, anti-inflammatories, and birks. I felt that a shot was the next least invasive step (and my podiatrist was so insistent that it would help). It didn't seem to help me at all. From there I went to physical therapy for about 6 weeks-with the cortisone treatment. My next step was a cast for 6 weeks followed by a night splint and a UCB orthotic (very expensive orthotic). I used those for 6 months to no avail. The last thing I tried (recently) was ESWT. I'm still waiting to see the results of that. I know it's hard to try something and have it fail and I know it's frustrating; but if we're going to stay in the game we've got to keep trying!

Best,

Beth

Valerie S on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043500)

Hi Dona,

What a way to start out your vacation!

I'm sorry to hear the injection was so traumatic for you. There is still the possibility that it will help ease your pain. I really hope it does. Injections have helped some people.

My treatments so far have consisted of taping, icing, stretching, custom orthotics (but they're still not right), 2 injections (1st one helped for 4 days, 2nd one gave no relief). I am now in Physical Therapy, where I have ultrasound (no cortizone), stretching, and massage. I am still trying to find out what will help me, but have high hopes for the PT.

I know how hard it is to be patient with this process, but unfortunately I have learned that the phrase 'we will see how you are in 3 weeks' has become a catch phrase in my care. I know how frustrating it is, not knowing what to do or what will work. I am trying to convince myself that I am making slow slow progress toward recovery, so slow I don't know it's happening. It's easy to succumb to the depression and despair that comes along with chronic pain. I have found a lot of information and support here, and have found that it helps make the waiting time a little more bearable too.

Take it easy.
Val

Re: the dreaded dr visit...thanks

Dona on 4/04/01 at 18:53 (043622)

Thanks for the encouragement. It feels a little better tonight, soreness when standing on it and at the back of the heel (hmmmm...new place). I think it will probably feel even better tomorrow, after icing it tonight. Sometimes, going in forewarned is not all it's cracked up to be. I was somewhat surprised at how painful the shot was, after reading in the PF Book that if done right, it shouldn't be THAT painful. And after making sure the dr knew how skittish I was over the injection in the first place. Oh well. I'm hoping this will be the last of it (can we all hear me singing 'HIGH hopes, she's got....HIGH hopes....high apple-pie-ie-in-the-sky-yi hopes....'). At least, the heel pain had been masking some of the knee pain, which is now back in full force. Darn. I feel like the little boy with his finger in the dyke, watching one leak stop as another starts up.