Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

achilles tendonitis without injury is it work related

Posted by M. Bradley on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043485)

I am an ER nurse in a increasingly busy 36 bed ER. During a 14-15 hour shift I started having heel and ankle pain. Ignored it like a good medical professional and went home, limping, to put ice and take ibuprofen. When I awoke was unable to lift my toes or bear weight. More ice and ibuprofen. Returned to work on day 3 of pain and after 2 hours was in excrutiating pain. ER doc injects with Celestone, splint and crutches. Says: achilles tendonitis and this will cure you or see the ortho guy. That was 31 days ago. I now have 8 DVT's after 1 week of bed rest and a 3-D boot. Still unable to bear weight, swelling and inflammation continue and no work. Now the insurance says that this is not work related. Can I have this with no apparent injury from working long hours, on concrete; pushing heavy patients to rooms in gurneys on carpeting, and all the other repetative motion of my job? HELP! The insurance says prove it. Is there any documentation out there that puts nurses at higher risk? Thanks for your help.

Re: achilles tendonitis without injury is it work related

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 18:47 (043619)

Hi,

This is a repetitive motion injury. Your doctor should be able to document the standing and over use at work that was the major contributing factor . Did you say that you developed DVT from this.?

If is possible that you neve had achilles tendonitis and this is DVT

Re: achilles tendonitis without injury is it work related

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 18:47 (043619)

Hi,

This is a repetitive motion injury. Your doctor should be able to document the standing and over use at work that was the major contributing factor . Did you say that you developed DVT from this.?

If is possible that you neve had achilles tendonitis and this is DVT