Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Now I understand

Posted by Barb-NY on 4/03/01 at 20:03 (043505)

Many year ago I saw a movie called Midnight Express. It's about an American imprisoned in a Turkish jail. They used physical punishment in the jail and one of the techniques was to beat the soles of the prisoner's feet with a thick wooden stick.

Now I understand.

Re: Now I understand--OUCH!

Nancy N on 4/03/01 at 20:14 (043507)

Yikes, Barb....that hurts just thinking about it!! I'll be sure to avoid that movie!! I can't imagine anyone inflicting PF on anyone deliberately, but I guess if you want to torture someone, it's as good a way as any.

Re: Now I understand

janet C. on 4/03/01 at 20:16 (043508)

My husband has mentioned that several times, that that was used as a punishment for ages. One obvious effect, if your feet hurt, you can't run away! How about the poor Japanese women who would bind their feet to keep them small, have you thought about how painful that must have been? Cruelty!

Barb-NY on 4/03/01 at 20:24 (043510)

It probably does more than just give the person PF. It probably ruptures the plantar fascia. Unimaginable pain.

There is no way I would ever be able to watch that movie again.

Barb-NY on 4/03/01 at 20:27 (043513)

I've heard that binding was indeed quite painful. What we women do in the name of beauty.

Actually, women today are not that different in many ways. Look at those spike heeled shoes. Look at your feet. Slight difference in shape.

Nancy N on 4/03/01 at 21:33 (043524)

My pedorthist said the same thing to me on Saturday when he looked at my old sneakers. He pointed out that real feet are not the shape of those shoes, much less the dress shoes we wear. He essentially said that we've been doing the same thing here for decades and just aren't conscious of it. My new sneakers feel SO much better, especially on my poor little toes, that I'll be paying a lot more attention to the shape of my shoes from here on out.

Nancy N on 4/03/01 at 21:35 (043525)

You're probably right about the rupture. Makes you wonder who came up with this idea--and how he knew it would work as torture. I have trouble believing that anyone who's had PF or related problems would inflict it on someone else without being seriously mentally ill... I think if someone did that to me, I'd want them to just finish me off and get it over with.

john h on 4/04/01 at 11:49 (043557)

i have had to go to some prisions in thailand to get military people released and i do not know about turkish prisions but i cannot begin to describe what a prison in northern thailand is like.

wendyn on 4/04/01 at 18:12 (043607)

With respect to foot binding...I watched a show a few months ago that did a feature on foot binding. A woman on there demonstrated how she wraps her feet up into little tiny balls - forcing her toes down almost to her heels with tight wrapping and tape. Said it was very 'erotic' - I sat open mouthed in disbelief that somone would abuse their feet that way. 'Insane' but not 'Erotic' in my books.

I've also heard our current fascination with breast augmentation paralleled to the old Chinese custom of foot-binding. Both procedures take a tradtionally 'non-sexual' part of the body (breasts were really designed to feed babies not fascinate men)- and mutilate it for something that's perceived to be sexier. Hmmmm....kind of makes you wonder how far we've really come the last couple hundred years?

On the subject of the foot torture....

I think the foot beating is called 'hobbling' - if you have the stomach for it...it's highlighted in the Stephen King movie/book 'Misery' - she takes her victim - straps his feet to either side of a large wooden block - and then beats his feet with a huge mallet. Lovely. Maybe Stephen King had a bad case of PF when he wrote that?

I don't recommend the book or the movie for anyone with foot pain.

Obviously.

john h on 4/05/01 at 10:13 (043699)

'Hobbling' she actually broke the bone in his ankles. Flogging of the bottom of the feet dates back to ancient times. Of course they still flog in many mid eastern and eastern countries (both back and buttocks). If you want to increase the blood flow to the bottom of the feet and fascia what better way to do it than flogging. sounds sort of like ancient ESWT (damage the tissue and when it heels it has a better blood supply). A year or so ago some one on the board suggested beating the bottom of your feet with Thumpers. Take it a little further and you have flogging.

Kay S on 4/05/01 at 16:17 (043733)

Oh my gosh, Wendyn!!!! I had all but forgotten that movie (Misery) until you mentioned it in your post. And that part you were talking about made me cringe when I saw it,(as in curling up into a fetal position). I saw it before I had pf, thankfully, but if I watched it now I think someone would have to call 911 to revive me.
Kay

Barbara TX on 4/06/01 at 12:23 (043828)

Amen, Wendy. It is true that we haven't come very far as a society. I sometimes worry about the kind of society I am bringing up a daughter in. In this city, she could be an exotic dancer over at the Crystal Pistol, but if she, in the same place, were to pull out a breast and feed her baby with it, she would be attrested for indecent exposure. Weird. B.

Cynthia D on 4/07/01 at 08:27 (043899)

Wendy! You're right. I had forgotten about that part of the movie, too, like Kay I saw it before pf. That would be totally unbearable to watch today. Yikes. Interesting about the breast, Barbara. Sad, but true. Most states at least now have laws protecting your right to breast feed in public. I have breast fed a baby in many places, including one Sunday in church. I was sitting to the side of our minister who was high in the pulpit. He happened to glance down at that 'critcial' moment before latching on when you are the most exposed. From his vantage point, he got an eye full (I had a blanket to hide from those at eye level - I didn't think he'd look down). Boy, he lost his train of thought so badly, he had to re-read his notes!! We still laugh about it today.

Nancy N on 4/03/01 at 20:14 (043507)

Yikes, Barb....that hurts just thinking about it!! I'll be sure to avoid that movie!! I can't imagine anyone inflicting PF on anyone deliberately, but I guess if you want to torture someone, it's as good a way as any.

janet C. on 4/03/01 at 20:16 (043508)

My husband has mentioned that several times, that that was used as a punishment for ages. One obvious effect, if your feet hurt, you can't run away! How about the poor Japanese women who would bind their feet to keep them small, have you thought about how painful that must have been? Cruelty!

Barb-NY on 4/03/01 at 20:24 (043510)

It probably does more than just give the person PF. It probably ruptures the plantar fascia. Unimaginable pain.

There is no way I would ever be able to watch that movie again.

Barb-NY on 4/03/01 at 20:27 (043513)

I've heard that binding was indeed quite painful. What we women do in the name of beauty.

Actually, women today are not that different in many ways. Look at those spike heeled shoes. Look at your feet. Slight difference in shape.

Nancy N on 4/03/01 at 21:33 (043524)

My pedorthist said the same thing to me on Saturday when he looked at my old sneakers. He pointed out that real feet are not the shape of those shoes, much less the dress shoes we wear. He essentially said that we've been doing the same thing here for decades and just aren't conscious of it. My new sneakers feel SO much better, especially on my poor little toes, that I'll be paying a lot more attention to the shape of my shoes from here on out.

Nancy N on 4/03/01 at 21:35 (043525)

You're probably right about the rupture. Makes you wonder who came up with this idea--and how he knew it would work as torture. I have trouble believing that anyone who's had PF or related problems would inflict it on someone else without being seriously mentally ill... I think if someone did that to me, I'd want them to just finish me off and get it over with.

john h on 4/04/01 at 11:49 (043557)

i have had to go to some prisions in thailand to get military people released and i do not know about turkish prisions but i cannot begin to describe what a prison in northern thailand is like.

wendyn on 4/04/01 at 18:12 (043607)

With respect to foot binding...I watched a show a few months ago that did a feature on foot binding. A woman on there demonstrated how she wraps her feet up into little tiny balls - forcing her toes down almost to her heels with tight wrapping and tape. Said it was very 'erotic' - I sat open mouthed in disbelief that somone would abuse their feet that way. 'Insane' but not 'Erotic' in my books.

I've also heard our current fascination with breast augmentation paralleled to the old Chinese custom of foot-binding. Both procedures take a tradtionally 'non-sexual' part of the body (breasts were really designed to feed babies not fascinate men)- and mutilate it for something that's perceived to be sexier. Hmmmm....kind of makes you wonder how far we've really come the last couple hundred years?

On the subject of the foot torture....

I think the foot beating is called 'hobbling' - if you have the stomach for it...it's highlighted in the Stephen King movie/book 'Misery' - she takes her victim - straps his feet to either side of a large wooden block - and then beats his feet with a huge mallet. Lovely. Maybe Stephen King had a bad case of PF when he wrote that?

I don't recommend the book or the movie for anyone with foot pain.

Obviously.

john h on 4/05/01 at 10:13 (043699)

'Hobbling' she actually broke the bone in his ankles. Flogging of the bottom of the feet dates back to ancient times. Of course they still flog in many mid eastern and eastern countries (both back and buttocks). If you want to increase the blood flow to the bottom of the feet and fascia what better way to do it than flogging. sounds sort of like ancient ESWT (damage the tissue and when it heels it has a better blood supply). A year or so ago some one on the board suggested beating the bottom of your feet with Thumpers. Take it a little further and you have flogging.

Kay S on 4/05/01 at 16:17 (043733)

Oh my gosh, Wendyn!!!! I had all but forgotten that movie (Misery) until you mentioned it in your post. And that part you were talking about made me cringe when I saw it,(as in curling up into a fetal position). I saw it before I had pf, thankfully, but if I watched it now I think someone would have to call 911 to revive me.
Kay

Barbara TX on 4/06/01 at 12:23 (043828)

Amen, Wendy. It is true that we haven't come very far as a society. I sometimes worry about the kind of society I am bringing up a daughter in. In this city, she could be an exotic dancer over at the Crystal Pistol, but if she, in the same place, were to pull out a breast and feed her baby with it, she would be attrested for indecent exposure. Weird. B.

Cynthia D on 4/07/01 at 08:27 (043899)

Wendy! You're right. I had forgotten about that part of the movie, too, like Kay I saw it before pf. That would be totally unbearable to watch today. Yikes. Interesting about the breast, Barbara. Sad, but true. Most states at least now have laws protecting your right to breast feed in public. I have breast fed a baby in many places, including one Sunday in church. I was sitting to the side of our minister who was high in the pulpit. He happened to glance down at that 'critcial' moment before latching on when you are the most exposed. From his vantage point, he got an eye full (I had a blanket to hide from those at eye level - I didn't think he'd look down). Boy, he lost his train of thought so badly, he had to re-read his notes!! We still laugh about it today.