Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ankle "Locks Up"

Posted by Valerie S on 4/03/01 at hrmin (043526)

Hi.

One more question... What does it mean when my PT tells me that my ankle 'locks up'? I have been going to PT for 3 weeks. He does the ultrasound, massage and stretching. This last week, he has been jerking my ankle around a little bit, saying that sometimes an ankle will lock up. It feels like the bones in the top of my foot are getting caught on my ankle. I try to stretch and stretch, but it just won't go anywhere. I don't really feel a lot of stretch in the back of my calf anymore, it's more of a pressure in the top of my ankle where it meets those bones in my foot.

Is this common? What causes it? What can I do to get this range of motion back? My right dorsal flexibility is at 8 degrees.

Thanks again.
Val.

Re: Ankle "Locks Up"

Dr. Biehler on 4/05/01 at 10:14 (043700)

You might have bones that have a lip on them that prevent the range of motion or an arthritic joint. X-rays should tell. Dr. B.

Valerie S on 4/06/01 at hrmin (043843)

Hi.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

2 different doctors (a podiatrist and an orthopedic surgeon) have looked at my xrays and examined my feet. Neither of them said anything about abnormal bone structure or anything of the sort.

It was my physical therapist that noticed the way my foot stops at a certain point. He has been working on trying to move the bones back with his hands, trying to get my ankle to 'glide' right. He tells me that this blocking is usually caused by a previous injury, and he thinks it may be contributor in my getting PF, that I am 'stealing' range of motion from my foot by overpronating.

Does this sound right to you? Do you know why my ankle might be jammed like this, if I have never had an ankle injury?

Thanks again. Val.

Dr. Biehler on 4/07/01 at 16:17 (043932)

It is possible that it might be a bony block preventing the movement.

Dr. Biehler on 4/05/01 at 10:14 (043700)

You might have bones that have a lip on them that prevent the range of motion or an arthritic joint. X-rays should tell. Dr. B.

Valerie S on 4/06/01 at hrmin (043843)

Hi.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

2 different doctors (a podiatrist and an orthopedic surgeon) have looked at my xrays and examined my feet. Neither of them said anything about abnormal bone structure or anything of the sort.

It was my physical therapist that noticed the way my foot stops at a certain point. He has been working on trying to move the bones back with his hands, trying to get my ankle to 'glide' right. He tells me that this blocking is usually caused by a previous injury, and he thinks it may be contributor in my getting PF, that I am 'stealing' range of motion from my foot by overpronating.

Does this sound right to you? Do you know why my ankle might be jammed like this, if I have never had an ankle injury?

Thanks again. Val.

Dr. Biehler on 4/07/01 at 16:17 (043932)

It is possible that it might be a bony block preventing the movement.