Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF/heel stress fractures

Posted by Lisa T on 4/04/01 at hrmin (043530)

Dear Dr. Zuckerman,
I have had heel pain for 10 months now and what my pd thought was heel spur fasciitis was 8 weeks ago diagnosed by an orthopedist as a significant heel stress fracture by bone scan. I was told to wear a walking cast for 6 weeks and used ibuprofen. It's been 8 weeks and my heel is still throbbing. The orthopedist also told me I have little flexibility in my tendons. Are these conditions related? I have had to give up my exercise routine (step, lunges, treadmill, and running and tae box) for 7 months now my foot is so painful.
Now it appears to be painful in the arch area and when I rotate my foot from side to side I feel the pain move across the area from side to side. Orthotics have not been helpful. This is rather upsetting due to the fact that my entire activity level and life style has had to change. Will this ever go away? What do you suggest I do next....I'm trying to get my life back together and it's pretty depressing. I'm gaining weight because I can't exercise like I use to and that fact can't be helping my foot either. Even cycling causes my foot to ache.
Truly, Lisa

Re: PF/heel stress fractures

Lisa on 4/08/01 at 13:09 (043988)

I was hopeful that I would receive some sort of a response to my query.

wendyn on 4/08/01 at 13:59 (043989)

Linda - a lot of time the doctors scan the board very quickly and it's easy for them to miss a post or two (I'm sure it wasn't intentional)...hopefully they will see your second one!

Lisa on 4/08/01 at 13:09 (043988)

I was hopeful that I would receive some sort of a response to my query.

wendyn on 4/08/01 at 13:59 (043989)

Linda - a lot of time the doctors scan the board very quickly and it's easy for them to miss a post or two (I'm sure it wasn't intentional)...hopefully they will see your second one!