Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just had surgery

Posted by MelanieS on 4/04/01 at hrmin (043540)

Hi everybody
I am a 19 year old girl and I had open procedure surgery for Haglund's deformity on my right heel two weeks ago. They shaved the exostosis off and some of the achilles tendon got loose, but not very much. I was on crutches with a bandage for 10 days, and now I have been told to start walking but it really hurts, especially walking uphill. Wearing regular shoes is also not a very pleasant experience, and I wonder for how long it is going to hurt like this? Someone please share experiences with me..

thank you to all of you for this great message board!

Re: Just had surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 18:32 (043614)

It you are having pain with shoes wear open back shoes. Any shoe irritation that is causing pain will slow down the healing process

SusanS on 5/10/01 at 12:00 (047347)

Hi! I just went to a Podiatrist last week and was told that I have Haglund's Deformity too. I am debating whether or not to go through with the surgery. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with ugly heels. I really bothers me to see everyone else with pretty heels and cute shoes that I would love to wear, but feel uncomfortable when I do.
I was wondering if you got the surgery because you were in pain or just for cosmetic reasons. Do you have it on both feet? Did they give you a local?

I have a friend in CA who had the surgery (8-years ago)and is very happy she did it. She said that her shoes fit better now. She was about your age when she had it done.

Let me know! Good luck!
Susan 30 -St. Louis,MO

Gary on 5/10/01 at 14:56 (047368)

I had surgery twice on the same heel for the condition, about 2-3 years between operations. The second operation occurred in 1996. The first time the orthopedist operated on the proximal side of my heel (inside) and the second time on the lateral side of my heel (outside). Both times the recovery took about three months before I felt comfortable in my regular shoes.

My problem was caused by running. I have returned to running and would say the surgeries improved my problem at least 80 percent. I have never been without discomfort in the a.m. but, I attribute this ongoing discomfort to my running. If I stopped running, I would have minimal, if any, discomfort.

Hang in there. It does get better and, you will be thankful you underwent the procedure. But, take the doctor's advice who responded earlier - wear an open back shoe until you can wear your regular shoes comfortably..

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 18:32 (043614)

It you are having pain with shoes wear open back shoes. Any shoe irritation that is causing pain will slow down the healing process

SusanS on 5/10/01 at 12:00 (047347)

Hi! I just went to a Podiatrist last week and was told that I have Haglund's Deformity too. I am debating whether or not to go through with the surgery. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with ugly heels. I really bothers me to see everyone else with pretty heels and cute shoes that I would love to wear, but feel uncomfortable when I do.
I was wondering if you got the surgery because you were in pain or just for cosmetic reasons. Do you have it on both feet? Did they give you a local?

I have a friend in CA who had the surgery (8-years ago)and is very happy she did it. She said that her shoes fit better now. She was about your age when she had it done.

Let me know! Good luck!
Susan 30 -St. Louis,MO

Gary on 5/10/01 at 14:56 (047368)

I had surgery twice on the same heel for the condition, about 2-3 years between operations. The second operation occurred in 1996. The first time the orthopedist operated on the proximal side of my heel (inside) and the second time on the lateral side of my heel (outside). Both times the recovery took about three months before I felt comfortable in my regular shoes.

My problem was caused by running. I have returned to running and would say the surgeries improved my problem at least 80 percent. I have never been without discomfort in the a.m. but, I attribute this ongoing discomfort to my running. If I stopped running, I would have minimal, if any, discomfort.

Hang in there. It does get better and, you will be thankful you underwent the procedure. But, take the doctor's advice who responded earlier - wear an open back shoe until you can wear your regular shoes comfortably..