Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoe recommendation for heel spurs (back of heel)

Posted by Emma M on 4/04/01 at 14:11 (043577)

I have a heel spur on the back of my R heel which the doctor says not to have operated. Anyway, the super hard heel counters hurt like heck, and I was hoping someone had a recommendation for a cushioned running shoe that would accomodate orthotics, but wouldn't have such a hard heel counter that my spur gets aggravated...

Thanks

Re: Shoe recommendation for heel spurs (back of heel)

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/04/01 at 14:35 (043580)

Try wearing a heel lift, it may be enough to reposition the bump in a more comfortable place in the shoe.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 14:46 (043583)

You can also try the gel like nylon sock from silipos that is for painful achilles tendonitis at the back of the heel. Works really well

Re: heel spur - wearing the gel pads...

Emma on 4/05/01 at 06:29 (043663)

Thanks to both of you!

A question about the gel pads - when you wear it, is it better (usually) for the shoe to fit snug or do you want to lace shoes up kind of loose?

Maybe it's b/c the shoes were too small (the heel pad makes my foot a tad bigger)....but when I tried the heel pad the spur still hurt.

I'm going to go look for shoes where the upper part (the achilles pad) of the heel is as flexible as possible. Lots of shoes seem to have rigid heel counters that go all or near all the way to the top.

Thanks!

Sean Tambling - C.Ped. on 4/05/01 at 08:37 (043676)

Emma,
There is a good reason for a stiff heel counter. The weaker the heel counter the easier it is for your heel to slide from side to side. You could have your current shoes modified by having a U shape cut into the heel counter where the bump is by a Cobbler or C.Ped. We are trained in modifying shoes so that they accomodate problematic areas of the foot.
Good Luck,
Sean

Re: Thanks good idea...

Emma on 4/05/01 at 10:12 (043698)

just one question -

When you say cut a 'U' shape - would that be a type of hole in the heel counter material (the plastic or whatever material) where the bump is?
Would you be removing a part of the heel counter and putting another material there?

Could you clarify ?

Thanks - much appreciated!

Sean Tambling - C.Ped on 4/05/01 at 11:32 (043710)

Emma,
They wouldn't cut a hole but a notch in the shape of a U in all the material of the heel counter. A good Cobbler or C.Ped should be able to cut them and cover the cut area so that it looks good and functions well for your needs.
Good Luck,
Sean

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/06/01 at 16:07 (043854)

Thanks just learned something . Never know who could do this. This does work very well.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/04/01 at 14:35 (043580)

Try wearing a heel lift, it may be enough to reposition the bump in a more comfortable place in the shoe.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 14:46 (043583)

You can also try the gel like nylon sock from silipos that is for painful achilles tendonitis at the back of the heel. Works really well

Emma on 4/05/01 at 06:29 (043663)

Thanks to both of you!

A question about the gel pads - when you wear it, is it better (usually) for the shoe to fit snug or do you want to lace shoes up kind of loose?

Maybe it's b/c the shoes were too small (the heel pad makes my foot a tad bigger)....but when I tried the heel pad the spur still hurt.

I'm going to go look for shoes where the upper part (the achilles pad) of the heel is as flexible as possible. Lots of shoes seem to have rigid heel counters that go all or near all the way to the top.

Thanks!

Sean Tambling - C.Ped. on 4/05/01 at 08:37 (043676)

Emma,
There is a good reason for a stiff heel counter. The weaker the heel counter the easier it is for your heel to slide from side to side. You could have your current shoes modified by having a U shape cut into the heel counter where the bump is by a Cobbler or C.Ped. We are trained in modifying shoes so that they accomodate problematic areas of the foot.
Good Luck,
Sean

Emma on 4/05/01 at 10:12 (043698)

just one question -

When you say cut a 'U' shape - would that be a type of hole in the heel counter material (the plastic or whatever material) where the bump is?
Would you be removing a part of the heel counter and putting another material there?

Could you clarify ?

Thanks - much appreciated!

Sean Tambling - C.Ped on 4/05/01 at 11:32 (043710)

Emma,
They wouldn't cut a hole but a notch in the shape of a U in all the material of the heel counter. A good Cobbler or C.Ped should be able to cut them and cover the cut area so that it looks good and functions well for your needs.
Good Luck,
Sean

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/06/01 at 16:07 (043854)

Thanks just learned something . Never know who could do this. This does work very well.