Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hammertoe/Bunion Surgery

Posted by Eileen on 4/04/01 at 14:35 (043579)

I have had two hammertoes corrected on the 2nd and 3rd toe and had a bunion removed and the big toe straightened. This surgery took place in December. I had one month of physical therapy because my Dr. didn't like the way my big toe moved (or lack of movement). Because of physical therapy the bone in my big toe split (near the screw). Now 4 months later, I still limp, my foot is sore when I put full weight on it and and my 2nd toe is limp, fat and will not lay flat. Should I expect more healing time or does it sound like I need more surgery?

Re: Hammertoe/Bunion Surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 14:44 (043582)

Need to know if the screw is causing the pain and if it has moved. What is the range of motion at the big toe joint. Can take time for the fat toe problem to go down in size. The concern is why you are limping. Is it from the lack of motion at the big toe joint.

Eileen on 4/05/01 at 07:15 (043667)

I don't think it is the screw causing the pain. The soreness is more from the hammertoes then the big toe. The range of movement at last check was 55%. It's probably less than that now since the bone split near the screw and had to stop physical therapy. Why does the 2nd toe stick up (won't lay flat).

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 14:44 (043582)

Need to know if the screw is causing the pain and if it has moved. What is the range of motion at the big toe joint. Can take time for the fat toe problem to go down in size. The concern is why you are limping. Is it from the lack of motion at the big toe joint.

Eileen on 4/05/01 at 07:15 (043667)

I don't think it is the screw causing the pain. The soreness is more from the hammertoes then the big toe. The range of movement at last check was 55%. It's probably less than that now since the bone split near the screw and had to stop physical therapy. Why does the 2nd toe stick up (won't lay flat).