Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Considering ESWT for treatment of PF & heel spurs

Posted by lindal on 4/04/01 at hrmin (043585)

I have recently learned of ESWT for the treatment of PF & heel spurs....I KNOW I don't want to have an invasive surgery & my doctor recommended ESWT. I've heard this works 'wonders'...but am wondering the possibility of reoccurrance; I'm a teacher on my feet almost all day long. I wear walking shoes with orthotics or my Birkenstocks and am presently taking 50 mg. of Vioxx daily. I'm worried about long-term effects on my kidneys/liver....and know I won't be able to take it if I decide to get pregnant. What should I do? Does insurance cover ESWT? Please help!

Re: Considering ESWT for treatment of PF & heel spurs

Lori E. on 4/04/01 at 17:01 (043601)

Linda,
There always seems to be the possibility of your PF returning. Some people have reported having several bouts with it. I think that the best way to look at it is to make sure you always have good shoes and if your PF starts to reoccur to get off your feet immediately and see a doctor.
As for pregnancy, any extra weight you put on your feet will have the possibility of making your PF worse.
We wanted to get pregnant last year and have put it off until I get my weight down and I have my PF beat. We are hoping now that I have had my ESWT treatments that we can start trying this summer.
Insurance is starting to cover ESWT, but you have to talk with the insurance company and clear it with them first. I gather some companies are covering it, and some are not at this point.
Good luck, and stay off your feet as much as possible. Hopefully you will not have this for much longer.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 18:28 (043612)

Hi,

The relapse of pf pain after ESWT can happen. This is a report on the ESWT section of this board that talks about the long term results. In my practice I am pain-free patients post ESWT going past 15 months.

kris B on 4/15/01 at 00:40 (044645)

I have been diagnosed as having PF and am in the process of getting insurance approval for ESWT. However,I'm curious. The entire bottom of my foot hurts. The pain is constant. Get's worse if I'm on my feet for a period of time. The muscles that run along my shin bone hurt and on occassion my calfs and arches will cramp.I have used every treatment ie. physical therapy,orthotics, anti-inflammatories,ultra sound, even Shitzu (sp?) massage. Nothing has worked.It's been over a year now.I'm now wondering whether I have PF or tibial tendonitis.If it's the latter, will ESWT work for that? P.S I am not overweight. I'm athletic. I initially felt the muscles in my arches tear while running on a concrete surface. TheyPlease give me some advice.

Lori E. on 4/04/01 at 17:01 (043601)

Linda,
There always seems to be the possibility of your PF returning. Some people have reported having several bouts with it. I think that the best way to look at it is to make sure you always have good shoes and if your PF starts to reoccur to get off your feet immediately and see a doctor.
As for pregnancy, any extra weight you put on your feet will have the possibility of making your PF worse.
We wanted to get pregnant last year and have put it off until I get my weight down and I have my PF beat. We are hoping now that I have had my ESWT treatments that we can start trying this summer.
Insurance is starting to cover ESWT, but you have to talk with the insurance company and clear it with them first. I gather some companies are covering it, and some are not at this point.
Good luck, and stay off your feet as much as possible. Hopefully you will not have this for much longer.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/04/01 at 18:28 (043612)

Hi,

The relapse of pf pain after ESWT can happen. This is a report on the ESWT section of this board that talks about the long term results. In my practice I am pain-free patients post ESWT going past 15 months.

kris B on 4/15/01 at 00:40 (044645)

I have been diagnosed as having PF and am in the process of getting insurance approval for ESWT. However,I'm curious. The entire bottom of my foot hurts. The pain is constant. Get's worse if I'm on my feet for a period of time. The muscles that run along my shin bone hurt and on occassion my calfs and arches will cramp.I have used every treatment ie. physical therapy,orthotics, anti-inflammatories,ultra sound, even Shitzu (sp?) massage. Nothing has worked.It's been over a year now.I'm now wondering whether I have PF or tibial tendonitis.If it's the latter, will ESWT work for that? P.S I am not overweight. I'm athletic. I initially felt the muscles in my arches tear while running on a concrete surface. TheyPlease give me some advice.