Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Feldenkrais class report (overdue!)

Posted by Nancy N on 4/04/01 at 16:04 (043597)

I just realized that I never reported back about the Feldenkrais class I took in February. It was a five-week class meeting once per week for about an hour, and there were about eight of us in the class. I did not get to the last class. During the first class, he asked us what brought us to the class, since it is geared toward healing injuries and preventing new ones. I mentioned my feet and my back, and others had their own concerns. From that, he chose what he had us do in each class.

The second week of the class was the most dramatic for me. We worked on the extensor muscles in the back. This class was just after I found out about the mild osteoarthritis in my back--before I found out about that, my back had felt more or less fine to me, but as soon as I got the news, it felt very stiff for about a week. After that night's class, though, I noticed a dramatic improvement in my back, and I now use those exercises any time I start to feel some stiffness coming on.

We also worked on the flexors in the stomach, the leg muscles, and in the last class, some spine work (this was the class I missed).

At any rate, I would think a class like this would be worth checking into if you have an evening adult school in your area or if you can find a Feldenkrais practitioner. I don't think it did much specifically for my feet (I have the book he used and I didn't see any foot stuff in there, either), but it should help you loosen things up elsewhere and improve the way you're moving.

Re: Feldenkrais class report (overdue!)

Kim B. on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044222)

Thanks Nancy, it sounds like something that would be great for helping people manage the ongoing pain of FM. Courious, how many in there because of FM? Were you the only one that had PF?

Anyway, thanks for sharing the info. Now if I ever run across a Feldendrais class, I'll know what it is for. If I ever get to go back to school, that really should be the first class I take. :-) Pain relief 101.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Feldenkrais class report (overdue!)

Kim B. on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044222)

Thanks Nancy, it sounds like something that would be great for helping people manage the ongoing pain of FM. Courious, how many in there because of FM? Were you the only one that had PF?

Anyway, thanks for sharing the info. Now if I ever run across a Feldendrais class, I'll know what it is for. If I ever get to go back to school, that really should be the first class I take. :-) Pain relief 101.

Regards, Kim B.