Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and Salami!

Posted by Diana on 4/04/01 at 21:57 (043650)

I am having the worst time dealing with post plantar fasciotomy. It has been four months and still if I am on my feet for more than 45 minutes at a time, no matter what the activity, my foot swells and aches and hurts terribly. It also looks like a piece of salami! Can someone tell me WHY it looks like that? It always improves with rest but then I am right back where I was if I 'over do it'. I feel like I will never get use of my feet back. Physical therapy is not helping in any measureable way. My doctor keeps saying I am 'within the range of normal'. Big comfort that is when I can['t even walk normally. I am at my wits end. Thanks.

Re: PF and Salami!

Sonja on 4/05/01 at 01:04 (043657)

Diana, I know this may be of no help but I was tickled by your description. That is what mine looks like too, only I couldn't find the word for it. It has been 3 months for me and I am beginning to wonder if I will ever walk pain free again. Same thing here too about the swelling, etc. So maybe we are within the normal range, but this certainly isn't the 'normal' we want to be, is it? It is so good to have found this forum though and know that I'm not alone.

Julie on 4/05/01 at 02:14 (043660)

Hi Diana and Sonja

Four months and three months are nothing, so be patient. The doctors have said, if my memory serves me, that it can take up to a year to see a full recovery from even the most successful surgeries. Maybe 45 minutes is still too long for you to be on your feet, so listen to the salami and give it more rest and more time.

Julie

claudia on 4/05/01 at 10:22 (043705)

I am laughing so hard at this salami image! Thank you for the laugh! I had a bunionectomy AND plantar fasciotomy at the same time in January and let's just say the road to recovery is filled with sizeable potholes! I get that salami look quite frequently...and I find that a thick application of mustard helps!!!!!!!

Sonja on 4/05/01 at 01:04 (043657)

Diana, I know this may be of no help but I was tickled by your description. That is what mine looks like too, only I couldn't find the word for it. It has been 3 months for me and I am beginning to wonder if I will ever walk pain free again. Same thing here too about the swelling, etc. So maybe we are within the normal range, but this certainly isn't the 'normal' we want to be, is it? It is so good to have found this forum though and know that I'm not alone.

Julie on 4/05/01 at 02:14 (043660)

Hi Diana and Sonja

Four months and three months are nothing, so be patient. The doctors have said, if my memory serves me, that it can take up to a year to see a full recovery from even the most successful surgeries. Maybe 45 minutes is still too long for you to be on your feet, so listen to the salami and give it more rest and more time.

Julie

claudia on 4/05/01 at 10:22 (043705)

I am laughing so hard at this salami image! Thank you for the laugh! I had a bunionectomy AND plantar fasciotomy at the same time in January and let's just say the road to recovery is filled with sizeable potholes! I get that salami look quite frequently...and I find that a thick application of mustard helps!!!!!!!